Q&A forum with Faulkner 24th October

VillaTrust

"The short term aim is to continue as an independent organization to:

a. represent the fans on supporter issues in discussions with the Club in an impartial and representative manner;"

Obviously missed out the word 'secretive' there.

• Like 3

I'm not sure what the objective of this Q&A session was intended to be, but in practice it risks stoking up ill feeling. So there is some current issue that is so sensitive it is considered too dangerous to share with the fans at large?

Maybe this thread should now devote itself to guessing what it is. My two guesses:

MON sacking

Red Bull purchase.

• Like 1

The objective of the Q&A was to give fans present in the room at the meeting an opportunity to ask questions on the running of the Club. It is no different to any other session that has been run where Paul has answered supporter questions. For example, the web chat held on Friday before was a good example of being able to ask him questions if you couldn't come in person.

Sorry, it was not my intention to sit for 75 minutes transcribing Paul Faulkner' answers to post on the web. I've not seen any transcription from these other sessions he has held.

The meeting was hardly secretive. It was free to all supporters to join.

The objective of the Q&A was to give fans present in the room at the meeting an opportunity to ask questions on the running of the Club. It is no different to any other session that has been run where Paul has answered supporter questions. For example, the web chat held on Friday before was a good example of being able to ask him questions if you couldn't come in person.

Sorry, it was not my intention to sit for 75 minutes transcribing Paul Faulkner' answers to post on the web. I've not seen any transcription from these other sessions he has held.

Details of the last Faulkner web chat were posted on here I beleive.

Anyway a bit of Info:- Randy is due in fly in a week on Tuesday, He has requested progress review\talks with Lambert.

Neither Risso - it is to represent its members views democratically. We are not the voice of All supporters nor those that can only attend meetings.

The subject topics covered are listed above. As i said earlier, i did not take any notes as it was informal. It was not the primary purpose of the evening. Next time, happy for a representative of Villatalk to go and write their own notes / report back to this forum.

As for secrecy, its just plain professionalism and ethical. I have my reputation and professional qualification to think about, one that pays my way in life. There was a request for no notes / recording at a certain stage in the informal session. All there agreed. If it was not ok, then the conversation that happened would not have taken place. If we ever get to supporter elected directors, then this same situation will arise time and again. Swansea's Supporter Director has the same issue.

One of the things i have learnt over the 12 years is that there is no pleasing everyone.

Neither Risso - it is to represent its members views democratically. We are not the voice of All supporters nor those that can only attend meetings.

The subject topics covered are listed above. As i said earlier, i did not take any notes as it was informal. It was not the primary purpose of the evening. Next time, happy for a representative of Villatalk to go and write their own notes / report back to this forum.

As for secrecy, its just plain professionalism and ethical. I have my reputation and professional qualification to think about, one that pays my way in life. There was a request for no notes / recording at a certain stage in the informal session. All there agreed. If it was not ok, then the conversation that happened would not have taken place. If we ever get to supporter elected directors, then this same situation will arise time and again. Swansea's Supporter Director has the same issue.

One of the things i have learnt over the 12 years is that there is no pleasing everyone.

What has your professional qualification got to do with anything?  Have you signed a letter of engagement with the club? 

But anyway, good luck with the membership drive.  You may want to work on your marketing activities and supporter communications a little though.

• Like 2

It was free to join, if you became a member of the Trust.

How can people decide to become a member of the 'new' Trust, if they know nothing about it? We have two lines about aims but nothing about how to be achieved. I'm not, and I imagine many others won't either, join something they know nothing about just to be able to listen to Paul Falkner say some things that may be true, or may not. 

I don't want to sound all negative about this. I think a genuinely democratic, fair to all fans supporters group which helps individuals and supporters as a whole interact with the club, for the better of the club and it's supporters. But nobody knows enough about this 'launch' and having to keep everything 'in-house' (which from the sounds of it wasn't your fault) doesn't do that, or the idea that the 'old Trust' was seen as a bit of a mates club, any favours. It makes me, at least, a little wary that this new one is going the same way.

A few questions, if you don't mind....

How many people turned up for the Q&A?

A couple of the names who have been elected to the board of the Trust are familiar - how many of these were part of the 'old Trust'? And of the newer people elected, where did they find out about the launch? The only publicity I saw for the Trust was this thread about a Q&A - did they put themselves up for the positions at the Q&A or was there somewhere else which is being updated for us to keep an eye on where people were given the chance to put themselves forward for the roles - as this thread makes no mention of this?

The two sentences of aim is certainly something I'm sure most of us would like. But the major problem is that it all rests upon the club being interested and entertaining the idea. So I can understand the secrecy - to gain their trust - but the downside to that is that by being rather quiet about it that it's hard to gain the trust of other supporters who may be interested in supporting in. I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse or be a pain in the arse - and having read this thread back it may look that way. I'm just trying to increase the dialogue and more importantly - understand the 'New' trust so I can make a decision whether it is something new, exciting and a positive thing for us, or if it's like when Opal Fruits re branded as Starburst.   

Next time, happy for a representative of Villatalk to go and write their own notes / report back to this forum.

Just as a point of reference, IMO it would cut out any calls of favouritism towards x,y,z or mis-communication, if perhaps notesor at least a summary of points discussed (which, of course was agreed with the club so the 'juicier' bits weren't in the public) was produced by the Trust in the future so it would seem more open and the message being put across was done so by the group itself.

• Like 1

I have many questions.....

Edited to avoid long convo stream....

I think you are being a little harsh on them there. I think the intentions are there, but played out in slightly the wrong way. They need the club on there side for any aims or objectives to work - so they have to do what they say at this point. What would help is a little more open communication - and a report back of some details but without the sensitive information which I think is probably all that was being asked for. Hopefully with a comms director in place this may begin to improve.

Get of his back !

I would like to have heard what was said - and have seen transcripts from other sessions. My guess is that anything groundbreaking will find its way onto this forum in due course.

Hippo - Re the Lambert\Lerner meeting is this the regular meeting they have - or is something over and above this.

I don't really blame the trust.

It seems stupid that the club have a Q&A with a few people from a supporters group and ask them to not repeat anything. What's the point of it then? How does it help relationships with fans if only a select few hear the answers?

• Like 1

With all due respect, VillaTrust, in my opinion you keep digging a hole with posts like this one. Get a PR to check them before you post or contact Nicky Kaye, she did OK with the General's stuff.

To be fair, anything that has to be kept secret must be important and anything important should be shared with the club's biggest stakeholders: the fans.

As said above, what is the point of having a Q&A if nobody can even know what the answers were?

We have released statements in the past on specific sessions with the Villa hierarchy to agree areas which are sensitive/non-sensitive. These are formal meetings.

What happened last week was an informal session, and not the primary purpose of the meeting which was our AGM. The questions raised were by individuals, who wanted information on their particular queries. It was not a Trust driven agenda.

May be in the future some further notes will be issued on the informal part but given we are a few days on and we work/ family/ watch the Villa, there has been limited time to pull together anything.

If you want to hear and take part, join. It was free for non-voting associate members had access. As we grow in numbers then such events may only be accessible by paid members.

Â