Smoking Will Kill You

maqroll

Didn't ever know your real name til now.

Anyway, condolences. Not sure how I'd handle this kind of thing but you've done well. All the best and see you next year in Fantasy NFL

Best wishes Mike and sorry to hear it.

My dad's suffering from Terminal Cancer at the moment so yours was quite a hard hitting post.

Hope you and the family are ok.

Also sorry to hear that Stevo. You always have the feeling that your parents are always going to be there and when they're not it is a massive shock to the system. Forever onwards you walk around with a hole in your heart which can be partly filled with good memories but really you are stripped bare to the world as you no longer have their protection.

When you have troubles in your life they are no longer at the end of a phone call or a visit and they are the only people you can really trust so it is a massive loss. Someone once said to me that losing your wife or partner is much worse than losing your parents. Well I've lost both my parents and I can't imagine being any more devastated than that but I've only experienced the latter.

When I posted last night Mike I hadn't noticed your post stating that your dad had finally passed away. So sorry for your loss.

My dad had been complaining of chest and arm pains all week and I had been trying to persuade him to go to the doctor. Finally he made a appointment to go and see the doc on the Friday but on the Thursday night died in his sleep from a heart attack.

I'm sure like me you have no regrets and by the sound of it you were great mates. Some people didn't have a great father like you or I so I consider myself lucky and try and be happy for him as his suffering is now over.

For the rest of your life he will be with you. You might be doing something mundane such as travelling on a bus or just walking somewhere and you will get this sudden warm feeling in your heart which then envelopes your whole body. That's your dad with you and telling you he's ok.

Those images of him struggling for his last breath will eventually be replaced by him visiting you in your dreams and those are the memories that will last.

Good luck mate and be thankful that you had such a great dad.

Sorry to read this bad news.

It's humbling that you shared it with us and that you truly value your fellow VTers. You know where we all are if you need cheering up with our chat, nonsense, stories of deviance, silliness, banter and whatever else.

My condolences and best wishes to you and your family, Mike.

I've found the worst thing about growing old is watching my folks becoming frail and forgetful, but I still can't imagine a world without them.

You have my sympathy Mike,

Dave

I've only just gotten over Louis theroux's documentary about cancer last week.. what a horribly devastating disease cancer is.

I hope you and your family are ok and dealing with the situation.

When I get paid this month, I'm donating some money.

• Like 1

I've only just gotten over Louis theroux's documentary about cancer last week.. what a horribly devastating disease cancer is.

I hope you and your family are ok and dealing with the situation.

When I get paid this month, I'm donating some money.

I watched it too, it was so sad

rjw63 to clear up any confusion. My dad passed several months ago but was just referring to the actual week when he died rather than last week.  

I was confused :(

My thoughts are with you Mike. Sounds like you did your old man proud being there with him right to the end. He may be gone but you'll carry him with you everyday mate in your thoughts and the great memories I am sure you have of being with him. My dad and, like yours, my best mate died nearly 12 years ago and at first it was tough. I wouldn't say it gets any easier but you just get used to the pain and I can honestly say I wiped away the couple of months he was really suffering at the end and now when he comes into my head, as he does everyday, they are only ever happy memories.

All the best mate.

Edited by markavfc40

Â