StefanAVFC

What do you drive?

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

We sit at home watching the news of global warming and countries arguing over oil and our kids getting asthma because of the pollution outside school. We tut at the tv screen because Brazil is burning its forest.

Then we jump in the car and burn extra fuel to get to work 3 minutes quicker.

The advert for the electric hybrid Golf sells it as having a battery boost so it can accelerate quicker.

We’re all complete dickheads really.

I've found this all odd too, like the Jaguar I Pace which has about 300 mile real world range which is fantastic, it's also ludicrously fast. Wouldn't people who by an EV rather have more range than 400bhp? 150bhp is plenty, I wonder how many more miles it would achieve.

I just find it weird that some car makers seem to have misunderstood what people want. 

Hopefully, in a couple of weeks or so, I'll be riding a ASJ Modena 125cc in either white, orange, grey or aqua. 

• Like 1

A 2 door 2013 Jeep Wrangler soft top. And before you have a go, SOMETIMES it isn’t broken so YOU’RE the idiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/09/2019 at 10:51, lapal_fan said:

We take the piss, but @chrisp65 is absolutely right.  People need to chill out when driving.  The amount of people who "cruise" down the motorway at 85+ is crazy. 

I work with a bunch of mechanical engineers who drive anything from Merc A classes to Peugeot 308 convertibles, I see them sprint off the car park, stop for the first island, sprint round the island, to stop in traffic for the motorway junction, to sprint down the merging lane, to slow to down 60 when they get stuck behind a lorry, to sprinting off at 90+ until I lose them from sight after about 2 miles. 

I stick my cruise control at 70 mph once I've hit the motorway and rarely have to press a pedal until I get off the motorway, and I get home about 10 minutes later than they do.

They were even bragging with each other the other day that one of them got cut up by a BMW, so the other cut him up in return.

If that maneuver goes tits up, one of you is injured or dead, and 10,000 cars behind you are now going to be 2-6 hours home slower - so that's pretty hilarious innit? 

Meanwhile I only have to put £100 worth of diesel (I know..) whilst they're shoving £200 worth of petrol in a month, plus increase wear and tear. 

People are strange. 

I took it easy on the way down to Herefordshire. Cruise control on the M5/M50 and just listened to some tunes and tried to relax as much as possible. Arrived at my destination chilled out.

I know my car can go like stink but finding myself less likely to put my foot down now. 

• Thanks 1

I expect the usual pisstaking about hairdressing, etc, but swapping from my old shitbox hatchback to my MX-5 has chilled out my driving considerably. Far more powerful (still not very, admittedly) than my old car, but there's not that much compulsion to thrash it past the speed limit, much more relaxing taking it slow instead of inviting gale force winds around my ears. Plus it gives people around me more time to take in my banging tunes so they can reflect on how cool I am :D 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

On 09/09/2019 at 18:21, Spoony said:

A 2 door 2013 Jeep Wrangler soft top. And before you have a go, SOMETIMES it isn’t broken so YOU’RE the idiot.

Update: I took the roof down and I can’t get it back up. It has rained for three consecutive days (and this is Caribbean rain, not UK rain). Luckily, the floor has plug holes. Unluckily, the seats are super absorbent. So I’m now using dry cleaning bags as seat covers and periodically bailing out my cup holders.

BUT, a bald eagle sheds a single tear and whispers “freedom” every time I get in. So that’s something. 

• Haha 3

On 09/09/2019 at 23:02, Genie said:

I've found this all odd too, like the Jaguar I Pace which has about 300 mile real world range which is fantastic, it's also ludicrously fast. Wouldn't people who by an EV rather have more range than 400bhp? 150bhp is plenty, I wonder how many more miles it would achieve.

I just find it weird that some car makers seem to have misunderstood what people want. 

I love electric cars at this point. In Norway it's been a big deal for a number of years now and it's been heavily subsidized by the government. In Oslo especially, where air pollution has been a big concern, the amount of electric cars is staggering. I just can't imagine any where else in the world having the same amount of electric cars relatively speaking. We even have started dropping diesel cars in delivery businesses for electric. If I remember correctly it's also a fair few new electric trucks. 

It's a bit of a wake up call being in Italy atm. and after 2 weeks here I can't recall having seen a single electric car. 

Obviously ethically you can argue you remove a local air pollution issue and push it back to the production countries, but it's fascinating how quickly the E car revolution has moved on. 

The only negative thing I can think of atm, is they move up on you incredibly quiet. I am sure a lot of people have been hit while jaywalking cause they can't hear the cars at all. 

I've driven a lot of them, and while Tesla and the bigger more luxuries cars are excellent, I think the E golf is pretty nice. And the BMW I3. Rapid acceleration for sure. 

Currently put myself up in the que for a new Chinese E car called Byton. Not sure I will exercise the right to buy, but it's looking a very decent car on paper. 

13 hours ago, Xela said:

I took it easy on the way down to Herefordshire. Cruise control on the M5/M50 and just listened to some tunes and tried to relax as much as possible. Arrived at my destination chilled out.

I know my car can go like stink but finding myself less likely to put my foot down 

@Xela liked nothing more than burbling along, waving at the honeys as he went by :

112436d1103274337-so-i-continue-down-a1a

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

@Xela liked nothing more than burbling along, waving at the honeys as he went by :

112436d1103274337-so-i-continue-down-a1a

It still burbles at low speeds in the country lanes ;)

• Haha 1

Â