What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Mini Cooper S today, the version with like two little saloon doors at the rear, whatever that is.

£50 to do 330 miles of clear motorway and A roads in 'green' mode.

Perfectly decent car, but had that typical BMW annoyance of throwing every material known to man at it. Including stitching, I counted 8 different materials and/or colours just on the steering wheel. Three different fabrics on one seat. 

Strange split level footwell thing going on.

I'd be happy enough if it turned up again another day.

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So should I return to Petrol?

Yes. Ideally EV if you can get away with it, if not phev, hybrid. Or if you really have to, the smallest, cleanest petrol engine you can in the smallest car you can get away with.

14 hours ago, Genie said:

How does a hybrid have half as many parts when it has an internal combustion engine AND another power plant plus all the gubbins and software to enable it to switch between the 2.

I mentioned earlier that I do an 85 mile round trip to work and ~80 of those are on the motorway. I've had a couple of cars with DPF in the past, 1 was fine but the other (Vauxhall, never again) was a bloody nightmare.

From the point of view of a Toyota HSD (e.g. Prius) against a manual turbo diesel

TD has a starter motor, hybrid doesn't 

TD has a clutch, hybrid doesn't 

TD has a dual mass flywheel (lasts about 100k if you're lucky on a diesel as they're sensitive to vibration), hybrid doesn't.

TD has a gearbox, hybrid uses a simple 3 way differential (hybrid synergy drive)

TD uses brakes all the time to stop, hybrid almost never uses the brakes so pads and discs last the lifetime of the car and no carbon dust/particulates

TD has a turbo, hybrid doesn't.

TD has the DPF.

The hybrid uses a very simple 4 cylinder Atkinson cycle petrol coupled with 2 electric motors all connected together in a 3 way differential. The motors continually vary the speed while the engine drops in and out when most efficient. Braking and coasting simply feeds back into the battery.

Really simple. Batteries massively overengineered, they do a million miles as taxis. I used to get 75 mpg from my estate. So wish I hadn't swapped it now. 

• 3 weeks later...

And no doubt within the first mile of adjusting to auto, he went to push the clutch in at a decent speed and absolutely slammed the brake pedal :D  (You only do THAT once!)

I adjust quickly to auto when I borrow one, but if the first thing I have to do when driving off is reverse, it's kind of a shitshow flapping about with the clutchfoot and instabreaking.

It's subjective obviously. But auto is so much better it's difficult to see what anyone would see as an advantage of a manual.

As for luxury and normal, can't speak for every brand, but I'm doing quite a few miles a year in various cars, Nissan, Mini, Volvo, Hyundai, BMW, Toyota and Jaguar.

I'd have any of the auto boxes rather than any of the manual boxes. 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2018 at 19:08, Genie said:

On luxury cars/brands it’s true. They are awful on “normal” cars.

I had an auto Golf, which is pretty normal and I didn't realise how much I'd miss it went I went back to manual.

I'll never have another manual again if I can help it. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone got a Q3?

I'm thinking of chopping in my A5 for something a bit more practical. Whilst it's entertaining watching passengers haul themselves in and out of the back seat, it's starting to feel a little unfair now. I'd originally presumed I'd just go back to an A4 but having spent the last 4 years with my backside inches off the road, I quite like the higher ride of the Q3. 

Any reasonable suggestions as alternatives? I'm looking for a 15 or 16 plate with sub20k on the clock. Budget around £20-£22k.

Â