What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 17:31, Xela said:

What cars have we always hankered after but never owned

When I was 11 or 12 it was the Lancia that was the cool car as it kept winning the Off road race thingy I watched on World of Sport ... we had a dealer near us in Weybridge so used to cycle there and go in and get car brochures from a poor harassed sales man who spent his day dealing with 12 year old kids

Needless to say I don't want one of them any more  ... now I want one of these , just  for celebration mode ..

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Thoughts and prayers

It sometimes struggles to go into first and has a surprisingly poor turning circle, and every few months the scuttle gets clogged meaning you turn on the heater and the windscreen instantly fogs up, but otherwise it does the job and costs bugger all so I guess I can't complain.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

My car really is on its last legs, problem I have is that my work car park has gone from lawless to vigilante so I’m slightly nervous about parking anything worth more than £500 in it...

Castle Brom?

I bought a new car yesterday. Paid the balance and take my current car to the dealer on Monday. Found out that the previous owner didnt send the new owner slip off soi I dont have the full v5. Thats a bloody pain. 

Are there honestly still people buying diesel cars? Haven't you been watching the news over the last 5 years?

About the worst possible combination is a VAG diesel. VAG cars are unreliable, pump out loads of crap causing the deaths of thousands each year and VAG are a pretty despicable company all round. My Ateca is an awful car and I wish I'd stayed with the Toyota hybrid. Yet the Ateca wins awards and hybrids are slated. 

47 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Are there honestly still people buying diesel cars? Haven't you been watching the news over the last 5 years?

About the worst possible combination is a VAG diesel. VAG cars are unreliable, pump out loads of crap causing the deaths of thousands each year and VAG are a pretty despicable company all round. My Ateca is an awful car and I wish I'd stayed with the Toyota hybrid. Yet the Ateca wins awards and hybrids are slated. 

Are VW worse than anyone else in reality? They said they were better which was the lie.

I have a diesel and my next car will be a diesel. I do an 85 mile round trip for work so Diesel all the way.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Yes, the missus purchased a used Diesel Ford Focus the other day there for work/nipper to school etc.

Did you mean New or used or just in general?

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Haha you said VAG.

15 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Had a 2008 135i coupe for about 8 months now, lovely looking car and 300hp. But oh my, the frequent visits to the petrol pumps are killing me.

Nice small engine diesel next me thinks.

Nice. Bet that's got a turn of speed and a half!

I'm not quite in the same league but my 3.2 A3 pumps out close to 250bhp and it is rapid. I'm finding the fuel economy ok though mainly because my old 328ci was averaging about 18mpg towards the end so this is an improvement!

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

A colleague of mine purchased a nearly new Merc diesel yesterday, which I thought was strange.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Are VW worse than anyone else in reality? They said they were better which was the lie.

I have a diesel and my next car will be a diesel. I do an 85 mile round trip for work so Diesel all the way.

There was an interview with some science bod the other day, he was 'responsible' for the UK testing regime that had been simply believing the dialled in tests from the manufacturers.

The interviewer mentioned VAG being the worst and he stopped her and corrected her. He said they were fairly typical, but had made the most noise about not being typical. He said the worst in his experience was any vehicle with Jeep written in it.

Curiosity, how much would an 85 mile commute cost you? In round numbers, my 1600cc petrol hybrid would do that on a smudge over a gallon, so about £6* without getting my calculator out. Similar ish I guess?

Just got my nerd calculator out, an 85 mile trip would cost me £6.60 in fuel.

Edited by chrisp65

56 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There was an interview with some science bod the other day, he was 'responsible' for the UK testing regime that had been simply believing the dialled in tests from the manufacturers.

The interviewer mentioned VAG being the worst and he stopped her and corrected her. He said they were fairly typical, but had made the most noise about not being typical. He said the worst in his experience was any vehicle with Jeep written in it.

Curiosity, how much would an 85 mile commute cost you? In round numbers, my 1600cc petrol hybrid would do that on a smudge over a gallon, so about £6* without getting my calculator out. Similar ish I guess?

Just got my nerd calculator out, an 85 mile trip would cost me £6.60 in fuel.

I’ve got an old 2.0L Diesel but it does give me 49/50mpg on a run. My journey is all motorway apart from the first and last mile or so.

It costs about £45 a week / £9 a day.

If I went for a 1.6L Diesel next like the Ford Focus for example I’ll be down to about £7.20ish a day on today’s fuel prices.

If I went for something like the Renault 1.3L Diesel engine I’d possibly be lower than your hybrid cost. I think Toyota and others do a 1.3L Diesel too. 

Edit: Not sure Renault do a 1.3D after checking, they do a 1.5 in their Megane which returns 68.9mpg extra urban and 60mpg combined.

Edited by Genie

Yes, that's interesting, and it is, similar ish.

Wasn't a dick measuring contest, honest. I guess it gets to a point where it's also down to an individual's driving style. Seeing my mpg improve as it has has actually caused me to think about it more and drive less aggressively. So when I say I'm getting nearly three times the mpg I used to, I'm not strictly comparing like with like, as I drive this one differently. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes, that's interesting, and it is, similar ish.

Wasn't a dick measuring contest, honest. I guess it gets to a point where it's also down to an individual's driving style. Seeing my mpg improve as it has has actually caused me to think about it more and drive less aggressively. So when I say I'm getting nearly three times the mpg I used to, I'm not strictly comparing like with like, as I drive this one differently. 

Other factor for me is the outlay and then depreciation. Doing the mileage I do means whatever I buy is gonna drop in value very quickly. 

Spending money on a hybrid is going to be a bad investment long term, especially when I can get similar economy from a diesel for a fraction of the price.

7 hours ago, Xela said:

Nice. Bet that's got a turn of speed and a half!

I'm not quite in the same league but my 3.2 A3 pumps out close to 250bhp and it is rapid. I'm finding the fuel economy ok though mainly because my old 328ci was averaging about 18mpg towards the end so this is an improvement!

I was getting bang on 30mpg during the summer, but now its dropped to 28mpg, so for 6 cylinders and 2 turbo chargers I supposed I cant grumble too much.

Next car will be a diesel mind you in a few months time. If anyone is in the market for a future modern classic, you know who to PM :o)

Â