What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Pretty much all car brands will do PCP deals, so whatever you like. It's not unique to BMWs or Audis.

If you spend 10k on a second hand, I dunno, Skoda. Chances are you could have gotten a much nicer Skoda on PCP for the same sort of money.

You wouldn't own it at the end unless you paid the lump sum, but you'd have accrued equity to use against another new car, which is pretty much what you'd use the car you "owned" at the end of a loan for anyway.

It's a great thing if you can get your head around the fact that the car isn't yours, you aren't going to buy it at the end and pretty much as soon as you're in positive equity you're going to start looking elsewhere, you're effectively renting a car and getting a new one every couple of years

My last one was 3 years, got rid of it after 18 months, didn't put a deposit down either just took another one out, factored in the negative equity, this ones 4 years on 12k miles, did 20k in my first year... Somewhere between 2 and half and 3 years I should hit the option to cancel thing (when you've paid over half) and that one will be gone too

I'm very old fashioned in this regard, I like to own my car outright. My last few cars have all been around the £5k mark but I've bought them all outright for cash.

I see the attraction of driving a brand new car one could otherwise not afford, but for me, I'd feel a bit like an imposter.

• Like 1

I once got told and believed it that the likes of bmw and Mercedes aren't interested in cash sales, if you stroll in a showroom with £40k in your back pocket they aren't interested in you, their business model is based around leasing and service plans and this that and the other

What do you really gain from owning the car though?

My last car before my current one I bought outright with a loan. By the end of the loan I owned the car. But it was then worth about £1500 (I bought it for £8,500 four years earlier). So all I had was £1500 to use as part-ex on a new car.

On PCP I get effectively the same thing. Maybe it won't work out the same sort of amount, but you still use the car to trade in against a new one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I once got told and believed it that the likes of bmw and Mercedes aren't interested in cash sales, if you stroll in a showroom with £40k in your back pocket they aren't interested in you, their business model is based around leasing and service plans and this that and the other

If car manufacturers do their own finance deals then yeah you may well be right. There are benefits to cash sales, but they'll make a lot of money on the interest made from credit sales.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What do you really gain from owning the car though?

My last car before my current one I bought outright with a loan. By the end of the loan I owned the car. But it was then worth about £1500 (I bought it for £8,500 four years earlier). So all I had was £1500 to use as part-ex on a new car.

On PCP I get effectively the same thing. Maybe it won't work out the same sort of amount, but you still use the car to trade in against a new one.

I just dont like the idea of driving around in something leased. 

Do more miles than you planned, that'll cost more. Couple of dinks here and there, some bloke will charge you for them to be sorted. I don't to be accountable to someone else for my car.

I just like it to be mine, and hundreds of pounds on my wages not spent renting a car each month. 

Its quite an old fashioned viewpoint I know, more people happy to lease rather than own is the way its going. 

If car manufacturers do their own finance deals then yeah you may well be right. There are benefits to cash sales, but they'll make a lot of money on the interest made from credit sales.

I built a JLR showroom last year, they said they make three fifths of **** all from new car sales, they didn't even get the money from ticking all the corporate identity stuff anymore they just weren't allowed to sell cars if they didn't! (The CI stuff added about £600k worth of build cost) but they can make circa £100k a year per service bays (the one I built had 14)

they want to tie you in

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just dont like the idea of driving around in something leased. 

Do more miles than you planned, that'll cost more. Couple of dinks here and there, some bloke will charge you for them to be sorted. I don't to be accountable to someone else for my car.

I just like it to be mine, and hundreds of pounds on my wages not spent renting a car each month. 

Its quite an old fashioned viewpoint I know, more people happy to lease rather than own is the way its going. 

its hard to explain, what i learned from my first one is that when you return it they're only interested in what you've paid and what that cars worth and that very moment, the dinks and stuff and miles on the clock get factored in but all the stuff in your agreement only comes in to play when you get to the end, if you're 20k miles over your allowance it doesnt matter, that just gets factored in to the valuation you dont get the fine

you're swimming against the current in terms of payments vs depreciation of your car, its all about timing

the one im on at the moment, after 3 years its likely to be worth £15-17k depending on mileage and condition, i'll have paid £20k off a £34k car, in theory ill be a couple of grand in equity, id be perfectly happy if it just balanced and after 3 years i could give that car back and walk away

sounds like im the other way to you, my first 3/4 cars were £500 specials out of the paper, be happy if you get a year out of them (had 2 written off in small smashes) then i took out a loan and bought a decent enough car, problem is i know **** all about cars and had nothing but trouble with it, cost me thousands in stuff which of course wasnt covered by the warranty, i have no confidence in buying a second hand car

If I was able to spend £20k over 3 years on a car I wouldn't spent it on a car! 

I guess its personal preference though. I do an 85 mile round trip to work so I just want a reliable 2.0L Diesel with basic comforts like cd, air con etc. 

• Like 1

Owning my 2001 fiesta cost me about £250 a month when you break down every single cost over 12 months down into one month. (Petrol, insurance, tax, mot, wear and tear etc... Sometimes more if something went wrong and needed fixing asap.

My  2016 pug 108 costs me £250 a month with the petrol and thats all I worry about, is the petrol. I have 10,000 miles a year which I'll never do. 

It was a no brainier for me.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2016 at 18:15, Genie said:

£250 for a Peugeot 108 :o Wow, that seems REALLY expensive even if it includes insurance.

You could get a VW Up for less than half of that. C1 £129Nissan Pulsar £145 a month.

Is that with literally everything (tax, insurance, mot, servicing etc...) but petrol? Any deposit?

My monthly cost with a few extras (spare tyre, nicer color, dashboard trim & rev counter) is £180 (basic was £170), I'm averaging £70 a month petrol but reckon I could do less. No deposit either.

Edit: all require deposits, admin fee's and no option to buy the car at the end of the term and it's not clear if you get insurance, tax etc...

Edited by Ingram85

On 30 March 2016 at 14:24, lapal_fan said:

Why don't you just buy a 10k 2nd hand car and get a loan for 3 years?

Sounds much more simple than all this other shite, plus you own the thing and can sell it for a few grand when you're done with it?

I see what your saying there, but it isn't necessarily the cheapest or the simplest way of looking at it. 

£10k over 3 years with no interest is £277 pm repayment. Then you've got insurance, road tax, routine service, tyres, breakdown cover, MOT and dependant on age/mileage/condition probably at least one major service/repair. Then there's fuel - cars get old pretty quick in terms of MPG. Then the hassle of selling it private, or having your pants pulled down by we buy any car or on a trade in when you want to change. For what? A couple of grand to put down on the next one? 

For less than the loan repayment on its own, you could get something decent with all of that bollocks above chucked in. 2 or 3 year contract. Fuel it and **** off 

Owning or leasing, cars will cost you money. I've done both and can see both sides of the coin. Buy a car for £20k and it'll depreciate lets say £6k in 2 years? Or you can lease it for £6k in the same period?

I knows that a very simplistic way of looking at it but it'll cost you either way. 

Borrowing my Dads M235i while in between cars and i must say its super fun to drive. Would recommend. 

Hes lending it to me as hes getting rid of it and thinks i should take it rather than something else. Originally, it just doesnt make sense as a hatchback would suit me alot better (4 adults fit in car, bigger boot and shorted car for London parking) but the more i drive it, the more it makes sense. Ha!

I should probably look at the M135 due to how much i like it, just think its such an ugly car. So will probably get the A class (250 or A45)

On 30/03/2016 at 14:09, Straggler said:

Renault Kadjar, Ford Kuga, Mazda CX5, Toyota Rav 4, Nissan Quashqai.  The wife so far likes the Kuga because it has a button that closes the boot for her (driving thrills not a priority here).  Any recommendations or indeed horror stories about the above or similar cars.  BTW thanks for the help with the other car, I really appreciated it.

The simply stunning Ssangyong Rodius

1234952ssangyong-rodius-say_rod_05_gs_1.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BOF said:

The simply stunning Ssangyong Rodius

1234952ssangyong-rodius-say_rod_05_gs_1.

If only you had told me about this one earlier!  We have foolishly gone and got the Kuga already.  Gutted.  I hadn't realised that a Top Gear challenge car had ever made it into full production.  The breathtaking lines, the sensuous way it seems to hug the road, I honestly have a semi right now thinking about how it must handle. 

Actually forget it, I'm off to sell one of the kids for parts, I've found one with 85k miles on it for under 60 grand, I need to buy it before they realise they put the wrong sticker price on it......

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at a qashqai 1.6 petrol after been looking for a "bigger" car for the last two months .....road tax is high (but the same as we are paying now) Mpg is obviously lower than the diesel engine but surely would work out better for the short school runs etc in the town than the diesel bora I have now 

anyone have one or reviews ? 

Â