What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2017 at 23:01, darrenm said:

They all have to use the same rules. https://www.bvrla.co.uk/service/fair-wear-and-tear-guides

I was surprised how lax the rules are.

That isn't always strictly true. 

It's an industry guide and most of the main leasing companies adhere to it. Retail dealerships often have their own standards and the high end ones are the worst. 

Some PCP contracts with the likes of Audi/BMW/Merc specify 'retail standard' on return, which is a joke. 

On 11/27/2017 at 10:13, omariqy said:

What do you mean by lax?

Reasonable wear and tear so quite a few scratches are allowed etc. 

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

That isn't always strictly true. 

It's an industry guide and most of the main leasing companies adhere to it. Retail dealerships often have their own standards and the high end ones are the worst. 

Some PCP contracts with the likes of Audi/BMW/Merc specify 'retail standard' on return, which is a joke. 

Fair enough. 

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Hello all, anyone recommend a good insurer for gap insurance? Need to sort it out before I pick up the car tomorrow. Is it a case of just checking the price comparison sites?

Get the one offered by the dealer, then when it kicks off as the new PPI, claim a miss-sell and get your money back :thumb:

As for your alloys, look at 'Alloy-gator'. They are little trims that go round the edges to protect scuffing etc. Cheap, cheerful, can be colour coded to car or tyres and do the job. They don't protect the middle, but if you're gouging them, you need some parking lessons!

• Like 1

Just now, darrenm said:

Reasonable wear and tear so quite a few scratches are allowed etc. 

Fair enough. 

It's why I'd always recccomend a leasing company over a dealer. 

As you rightly say, the BVRLA are 'reasonable' 

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

Get the one offered by the dealer, then when it kicks off as the new PPI, claim a miss-sell and get your money back :thumb:

As for your alloys, look at 'Alloy-gator'. They are little trims that go round the edges to protect scuffing etc. Cheap, cheerful, can be colour coded to car or tyres and do the job. They don't protect the middle, but if you're gouging them, you need some parking lessons!

Now I am getting non run flats I don't think I really need it. If I ever Kerbed it then it has been ever so slightly around the edges. 

52 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I'm PCP with Audi and it definitely doesn't specify that.

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Some do, some don't. 

Check your tyre return policy, I heard a horror story recently about a guy returning a car with brand new tyres on, but they weren't the 'correct rating' and Audi charged nearly £1500 quid. 

What does your contract say about return standards? Do they adhere to BVRLA guidelines? 

It's worth having a read through with a fine tooth comb (not intended to be condescending, I'm sure you already have) 

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Some do, some don't. 

Check your tyre return policy, I heard a horror story recently about a guy returning a car with brand new tyres on, but they weren't the 'correct rating' and Audi charged nearly £1500 quid. 

What does your contract say about return standards? Do they adhere to BVRLA guidelines? 

It's worth having a read through with a fine tooth comb (not intended to be condescending, I'm sure you already have) 

I went through a broker with my Ateca and it came with a BVRLA booklet and the paperwork said just use that.

Anecdotally, the Ateca is one of the best reviewed compact SUVs available and has all the latest VAG tech but still isn't as good as the Auris hybrid I swapped for it. I should have listened to myself and not paid any attention to reviews.

• Like 1

Dealer offering me GAP and Tyre/Wheel insurance for £449 for 3 years. Much cheaper than elsewhere. Worth it? I definitely will get GAP which is £200 alone and the mrs has kerbed the wheels on our old car a couple of times.

thats cheaper than what ive seen, is it back to invoice GAP?

im looking at VTing my BMW before christmas, the alloy repairs will cost me £250 alone before i hand it back

pick up my S4 tomorrow :D black with the black pack and blacked out windows, couldnt get the red seats in a stock car so thats slightly disappointing but still buzzing

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

thats cheaper than what ive seen, is it back to invoice GAP?

im looking at VTing my BMW before christmas, the alloy repairs will cost me £250 alone before i hand it back

pick up my S4 tomorrow :D black with the black pack and blacked out windows, couldnt get the red seats in a stock car so thats slightly disappointing but still buzzing

The guy got the price wrong. I went in and it was £400 for each policy. I still think the Tyre/Wheel insurance is worth it but places like ALA and Motor Easy seem much cheaper for GAP.

I've been driving a Jaguar XE for a couple of days. Really pleased with myself this afternoon when for the first time I managed to get in without cracking my head.

Perfectly decent car, looks good, quick enough, stereo is good (but not exceptional), wipers are strangely weedy, surprisingly good vision out, all the buttons are intuitive, seat not super comfy on a long journey but ok. 

A very good car, but I can't say I've fallen in love with it.

On 11/12/2017 at 14:54, Stevo985 said:

likewise

I changed mine over recently, it had done more miles than we'd agreed initially, had been through two significant accidents and had budget tyres on when I changed over, nothing was said.

Provided you're going in to buy a car they will generally bend over backwards for you and are unlikely to get petty about stuff like wear and tear, mileage etc.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

Thinking about getting a 2013 onwards Mercedes E350 estate. Does anyone own one and have any advise on them?. I have been looking for ones with the Harmon Kardon soundsystem (which narrows down the options a lot) as my Mum has a 2007 E class and the standard soundsystem in that is shocking but would be interested to know if the later models are ok.

7 hours ago, stegzy said:

Thinking about getting a 2013 onwards Mercedes E350 estate. Does anyone own one and have any advise on them?. I have been looking for ones with the Harmon Kardon soundsystem (which narrows down the options a lot) as my Mum has a 2007 E class and the standard soundsystem in that is shocking but would be interested to know if the later models are ok.

I had a E-class 2015 with the standard sound-system (or at least it wasn't a HK one) and that was pretty good. Definitely not anywhere near levels of one getting annoyed by it. I guess if you want to play some hiphoppy base intense stuff at ridiculous levels it will show a weakness but thats not for me.

Should be an easy test though, just bring your own cassette. :)

Â