What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I mentioned to someone today that one of the main pleasures of having finally got a new car for the last month has been that I'm no longer looking for a car or dealing with dealerships.

Anyway, first month done, about 1200 miles in and the fuel economy on a family sized 1.6 petrol automatic is....65mpg

Well chuffed with that.

Excellent. No need for diesel with MPG like that.

Years back I bought a 1.6l Renault Megane patrol off eBay as I urgently needed a run around. I was amazed it did 50mpg on a run, couldn't believe it.

Best bit was, I paid £800 for it and someone went into the back of it at an island, his insurance paid out £2000 (no whiplash btw).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Audi TTS, black, black alloys, blacked out glass...

will i look like a word removed?

at the moment Audi (car wow) are offering me a decent deal on that or an S4, i prefer the TT if im honest

I'd go for the TT over the A/S4 

I'm really not a fan of the A4. 

On 14/08/2017 at 11:11, Stevo985 said:

The audi one is terrible for me in terms of connectivity to my phone, but I think that's down to my phone.  I need to experiment with the other half's iphone to see if it's better

It is a million times better with an iPhone. 

Android Auto is garbage.

Not as flash as you guys but will finally be getting my new motor soon. Its not brand new but a low mileage A3 3.2 S-Line Quattro :)

On 27/10/2017 at 19:21, darrenm said:

They seem fairly similar to me?

Maybe it's my phone. But the iPhone interface using my GF's phone seems so much better. 

It actually works for a start. 

18 hours ago, Xela said:

Not as flash as you guys but will finally be getting my new motor soon. Its not brand new but a low mileage A3 3.2 S-Line Quattro :)

You're gonna look so bawss sitting on the motorway in it! :lol:  

• 4 weeks later...

Had a smack on the way home,  a bit unsure what to do.

Driving along the A4540, crossed the Key Hill Circus in the middle of 3 lanes, car in the left lane turned right. My passenger side hit his driver door, his door has a few dents and scrapes, my passenger front wheel arch is banged up with a few scuffs on the alloy. We exchanged details and took photos of the damage on each car.

Should I be notifying my insurer asap or wait a few days and see what he wants to do? (my car looks like it came off worse and isn't worth worrying about claiming for)

Finally got round to sorting out a new car. Woke up this morning determined to sort it out once and for all. Went in to the BMW dealership as they had a sales event (I know). Managed to haggle a good deal I think for the X1. Really like it as it is still a great driving height but feels quite nippy when you drive it. Interior is lovely also and it is very practical for the family. They offered me f all for my car though but have said that if I don't sell it privately for more in the next month then they will honour their price as a fall back option for me. Will go in during the week to sort out PCP paperwork. Anyone have any thoughts on GAP insurance and tyre/alloy protection?

You'll definitely want gap insurance, but get it through a third party. Run your details through a price comparison site, and I'd be surprised if BMW's quote is any less than double the price you can get online.

Alloy/tyre cover is a waste of money unless you're incapable of parking, IMO. How much have they quoted you for it? How much would it cost to replace them? How often have you completely **** up your tyres/wheels in the last few years? 

Edited by Davkaus

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Finally got round to sorting out a new car. Woke up this morning determined to sort it out once and for all. Went in to the BMW dealership as they had a sales event (I know). Managed to haggle a good deal I think for the X1. Really like it as it is still a great driving height but feels quite nippy when you drive it. Interior is lovely also and it is very practical for the family. They offered me f all for my car though but have said that if I don't sell it privately for more in the next month then they will honour their price as a fall back option for me. Will go in during the week to sort out PCP paperwork. Anyone have any thoughts on GAP insurance and tyre/alloy protection?

Congrats on the new motor!  Just saw on Twitter you were flogging the old one.

I went through all the Gap and Alloy stuff with my new one.  For Gap, check your normal insurance first.  If you've bought a brand new car, often your insurance will pay out full price in the first 12 months.  In that case you'd want Gap cover from a third party insurer from year 2.

For alloys and tyres, it's worth looking at.  My alloys are dinged already.  ALA are highly recommended.  Check the spec on your alloys with the cover though.  I couldn't get insured because I've got 23 or 24" alloys so they're oversized, but also if they were within size mine are diamond cut so that's usually a no-no too.

If you sign up for 3 years it's not that expensive compared to replacing a massive tyre or getting a big wodge sorted on your alloys.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Alloy/tyre cover is a waste of money unless you're incapable of parking, IMO.

I hear you on that!  Although we've got a busy left turn that we have to take every morning, coming out of a residential road with usually traffic turning right at the same time.  It's nigh on impossible to get round it without mounting the pavement a little bit.  Always risky that a little ding will happen as you get near the kerb.

Our car is leased, so in that case it's worth having the alloy cover as they'll slap you for everything when you come to give it back.

• Like 1

Haha, I did read your post and feel like I'd accidentally called you out :P

I get the odd little scrape, but nothing the likes of chips away couldn't fix for far less than the price of alloy cover.  I can see the need if you don't own the car outright though, they're certainly a lot fussier about it than I am. If I have to get close and kneel down to see a scratch on the wheels, I couldn't give a toss.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You'll definitely want gap insurance, but get it through a third party. Run your details through a price comparison site, and I'd be surprised if BMW's quote is any less than double the price you can get online.

Alloy/tyre cover is a waste of money unless you're incapable of parking, IMO. How much have they quoted you for it? How much would it cost to replace them? How often have you completely **** up your tyres/wheels in the last few years? 

Only reason I'm considering it is that BMW are very particular I hear. Also I do loads of miles and always seem to get a nail in my tyres. 

15 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Only reason I'm considering it is that BMW are very particular I hear. Also I do loads of miles and always seem to get a nail in my tyres. 

They all have to use the same rules. https://www.bvrla.co.uk/service/fair-wear-and-tear-guides

I was surprised how lax the rules are.

Â