What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Yep, that's it! Funny you should put that up with that little detail of red on the front; been thinking of getting Alloygators to protect the wheels (especially as it's a lease) but have been thinking a little flash of red might look smart...mmm...not decided yet.

Looking at changing cars. At the moment we've got a clapped out corsa which is leaking water and won't even start, be lucky for a couple hundred quid to scrap it most likely. Then a 14 plate vauxhall Adam from new that's in good condition, just under 30000 miles on the clock. 

Looking at a skoda yeti at the moment. Essentially need something we can fit a couple of dogs in the boot and in the next few years starting a family so nothing too small. Currently driving 300ish miles a week, mainly motorways but hoping to change jobs soon so not dependent on it being decent for the motorway.

Don't want to overstretch ourselves hence the yeti seems a decent option. Any advice? Would we be best part ex'ing the Adam, even with it still being two years left on finance? We've just got to the point where we owe less than its worth. Or best to sell privately and then buy something separately? 

Edited by This Could Be Rotterdam

On 23/06/2017 at 11:54, omariqy said:

Can't believe I am saying this but really like the look of the new Peugeot 3008. Looks great, has all the features you would ever need and seems to be reasonably priced. 

But it's a Peugeot. 

• Like 2

purely co-incidence but now they've been devalued  guess it's time I get rid of my A5  :)

being serious though ... nice car , I normally replace my car every 3 or 4 years but I'm coming up to 5 years  on my A5 as I'm still enjoying it and haven't wanted to ever get rid of it ... though , don't tell my car ,but I did test drive an F-Pace at the weekend and might be making the switch at some point , my knees are **** and I struggle to get in and out of low down cars now( old age fml)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

purely co-incidence but now they've been devalued  guess it's time I get rid of my A5  :)

being serious though ... nice car , I normally replace my car every 3 or 4 years but I'm coming up to 5 years  on my A5 as I'm still enjoying it and haven't anted to ever get rid of it ... though , don't tell my car ,but I did test drive an F-Pace at the weekend and might be making the switch at some point , my knees are **** and I struggle to get in and out of low down cars now( old age fml)

A5 was a perfect upgrade for me.

Had my A3 for 3 years. I've absolutely loved it. Never had an issue with it (well, I had a blow out but that's not really an issue with the car), love the way it drives, the interior, the multimedia etc.

So the A5 is very familiar, but just better.

F-Pace is a lovely car though. If I was still at Jag I'd be desperate to make that my company car.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

A5 was a perfect upgrade for me.

Had my A3 for 3 years. I've absolutely loved it. Never had an issue with it (well, I had a blow out but that's not really an issue with the car), love the way it drives, the interior, the multimedia etc.

So the A5 is very familiar, but just better.

F-Pace is a lovely car though. If I was still at Jag I'd be desperate to make that my company car.

I had a look at the Q5 on the back of how much I liked the A5 but , I dunno if it's just me I but I find it a bit ugly ... you worked in finance for Jag didn't you ?  how do I get the dealer to give me a hefty discount , do I act poor or do I make a video of his wife locked up in a basement ?

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I had a look at the Q5 on the back of how much I liked the A5 but , I dunno if it's just me I but I find it a bit ugly ... you worked in finance for Jag didn't you ?  how do I get the dealer to give me a hefty discount , do I act poor or do I make a video of his wife locked up in a basement ?

I don't like crossovers/small 4x4's generally so I'd agree about the Q5. Same with the X5 etc.

F-Pace changed my mind though. I know I'm bias (or was at the time) but I really do think they're lovely cars.

As for a discount, judging by how small (or non-existent) the margin is on Jags I'd imagine it's a tough battle to get a big discount! Although the F-Pace is basically a Range Rover with a Jag badge on it so maybe it's easier for that?

Either way, the JLR dealers are notoriously terrible, even within the company, so they might just accidentally give it to you for free :) 

• Like 1

8u0hp.jpg

The Godsil Manhattan promises to be a 1,000bhp V16 Rolls rival

“What would a Duesenberg look like today if they were still in business?”

You may or may not have heard of Godsil Motorcars, so the bottom line is this: its founder, Jason Godsil, wants to build a 1,000bhp, V16-engined modern-day Rolls-Royce rival with styling that echoes the Art Deco cars from the 1930s.

No small ask, then. It doesn’t currently exist, besides the renders you see above, though many promises we have been, um, promised thus far, with a simple premise: “What would a Duesenberg look like today if they were still in business?”

That’s why it looks the way it does. We’re told the initial sketches for the Manhattan from 2011 had a ‘60s-spec boat-tail, refined into a more modern design for the renders we’ve now got. There will be an option for a glass roof panel for a more open feel, brushed stainless steel accents around the body, side body vents, and rear-hinged doors, a-la Rolls-Royce.

It’s big, too. The four-seat luxury design is said to sit in between the size of a RR Wraith and Phantom Coupe, with a wheelbase measuring 3.4m (the Wraith’s clocks in at 3.1m long). There are LED lights. There are huge 22in wheels. And, they figured, if pre-war luxury Americana is the outside, the inside – specifically, the engine – also needs to be big. V16 big.

We’re told this V16 will be around 13 litres in capacity, pumping out that circa 1,000bhp figure, powered not by fuel, but natural gas instead (the new VW Polo has a CNG option, just FYI).

It’s only the first in a range of Godsil cars that are planned. If/when this gets built, there are further plans for a four-door saloon, an SUV and even a mid-engined supercar, all featuring the same V16 natural gas engine, named after US cities and landmarks, and each featuring the same Art Deco styling.

So, can this become the new “halo car for America”? Is it even a real thing? Wade in below with your thoughts…

page-1_img12_original.jpg?itok=63BvVbei

page-1_img13_original.jpg?itok=g0Pwnhqk

page-1_img10_original.jpg?itok=OtSddKTQ

page-1_img15_original.jpg?itok=gThuXAdD

page-1_img18_original.jpg?itok=rCfjl-IZ

50 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'll be honest, that's going to struggle in my local multi storey.

I'm out.

it's American , if you have to drive around any bends to get your local  multi Storey , you wont be making it there anyway

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

My new car turns up Saturday morning, wondering whether to get GAP insurance or not, what's the general concensus? 

1) it's a lease so I assume as long as they get car back in a condition that matches what it should be for age and mileage I shouldn't be out of pocket regardless (normal accident repair through insurance situations)

2) in the event of total loss in the first year (or two) most insurances seem to replace with new cars anyway.

Am I missing something obvious? I'm not sure in what circumstances it'd be beneficial to me as I can't see how I'd ever be in 'negative equity' so to speak.

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

My new car turns up Saturday morning, wondering whether to get GAP insurance or not, what's the general concensus? 

1) it's a lease so I assume as long as they get car back in a condition that matches what it should be for age and mileage I shouldn't be out of pocket regardless (normal accident repair through insurance situations)

2) in the event of total loss in the first year (or two) most insurances seem to replace with new cars anyway.

Am I missing something obvious? I'm not sure in what circumstances it'd be beneficial to me as I can't see how I'd ever be in 'negative equity' so to speak.

I'm wondering the same. Mine turns up today. I reckon if you write it off, your insurance company will give you market value for the car which wouldn't be enough to pay the value of the car to the lease company. So I'm thinking gap would still be needed. I'm off to investigate it anyway

Yeah it seems prudent https://car2cover.co.uk/gap-insurance/finance-contract-hire-gap-insurance/

If you are operating your vehicle under a Contract Hire agreement, we encourage you to read the terms and conditions of your agreement to understand what is required of you in the event of a write off. In most cases, the terms and conditions of a Contract Hire agreement require you to a) provide fully comprehensive insurance for the period of the arrangement and b ) pay all outstanding rentals due, plus vat from the date of the write off. For example, if you are contracted to pay monthly rentals of £420 including vat per month on a 3 year agreement you may be required to pay the Contract Hire company £7,560.00 if your car is written off after 18 months of use. Your insurer will pay the Contract Hire company the market value at time of loss – and you may be required to pay the outstanding rentals and potentially other costs to end the agreement. Some Contract Hire companies will reduce the outstanding rentals to some degree – but you can still be left with a substantial bill.

As for if people actually do it or just take the risk is a different thing. But it seems contract hire gap is pretty cheap anyway in comparison to PCP

Â