What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

54 minutes ago, BOF said:

He's going to stick an RPM sensor on it and if that fixes it then great. Otherwise it's a new chain kit for all in about ~€800, but for a ten year old car that's what you'd expect. 

off-road-trailer-toy-broken-alfa-romeo-o

:P

• Like 1

^ Well, you wouldn't want to put the mileage on a prestige car :D

I treated my GTV to a Gearbox Oil change today and a PAS fluid flush and replenish. Success and then I went shopping and shut the door. The seat belt buckle got trapped between the door card and the seat and punctured the door card. Gah. Merry go round. I'll be under the stairs tomorrow in my own personal Alfa spares facility looking for one of my spare door cards to do some more work.  

The Mrs is test driving an Audi A1 today, I think it's too small but she likes them. I've got a BMW 1 series, and she wanted the same but it's probably not worth having two rear wheel drive cars as in winter it'll be less dependable. I'm trying to convince her to go for the Audi A3 as it has a bit more room. She also liked the VW Scirocco but they don't do it in 5 door so she's not interested... told her I think she's missed the point of a Scirocco. 

On 10/1/2016 at 00:44, Ryan. said:

Very nice! Thank god you didn't go for the green version!

I got the green one (elbaite green) on order, its at the dealer ready, had my other one (white) stolen recently (barsquids broke into the house and stole keys) but luckly I am moving house soon and waiting until then, just incase the tossers come back for another look.

amga45.jpg

• Like 1

My neighbour reversed into my A3 a week or so ago and I've just picked up a merchant a180. It's a bit sluggish compared to my 54 plate 2 litre Audi.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it's just not fun to drive. I took it out of eco mode and into sport which made it better but it's just a bit meh. :(

On 15 October 2016 at 21:09, foreveryoung said:

I got the green one (elbaite green) on order, its at the dealer ready, had my other one (white) stolen recently (barsquids broke into the house and stole keys) but luckly I am moving house soon and waiting until then, just incase the tossers come back for another look.

amga45.jpg

If Kermit could drive.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Thinking about trading my 2004 Ford Escape in for a new Suburu Cross Trek. Anyone drive a Suburu?

Always wanted a Subaru but never quite had the nads to take the plunge. Every time I changed cars for a good few years I'd go and sit in a Forrester or an Outback and then bottle it. Original purchase price was ok, but the local dealer didn't have a great rep and the repair and service costs were like something from a NASA budget sheet if something went wrong with it.

When you 'want' a Subaru, but end up with a Mercedes because running costs are cheaper, something's not right... 

Might be different over there, but here, I could afford the initial purchase as long as nothing ever ever went wrong with it. 

On 06/10/2016 at 21:29, knoppy1987 said:

Score if it is the RPM sensor - and like you say €800 for something of that age is to be expected. Best of luck anyway and fingers crossed it is the former. 

It was the RPM sensor in the end :hooray:

• Like 1

Got rid of my Volvo V60 recently, basically because it doesn't tick enough boxes and doesn't really work well as an estate car, our ever growing Labrador was getting a touch cramped. I now have a Kuga, which I'm really enjoying (no cougar jokes, please).

I've been driving a 1 series BMW this week as a hire car.

Very impressed with the finish of the inside: I'd have loved to have been at the design meeting:

People love that dimpled rubbery faux black leather, we should have some of that. Yes, yes we should but we also need real leather that's very different, smooth with pronounced stitching. ooh yeah real leather lets have that. And matt black plastic because that's sophisticated. Yep, and piano black plastic because that's very 'now'. Can we have grey plastic, of course we can, we'll put it next to the silver metal bits. We need a bit of blue plastic too, where can we put that? We'll put it as a line that runs along under the fake kevlar we haven't mentioned yet...

**** me, it's busy and confused in that car. Impressed that in such a small space they managed to scatter sooo many different materials.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2016 at 00:14, maqroll said:

Thinking about trading my 2004 Ford Escape in for a new Suburu Cross Trek. Anyone drive a Suburu?

Coworker has one (a cross trek) and the transmission went within a year...

Also note that if buying a Subaru in New England, you're giving money to Ernie Boch, Jr....

Edited by leviramsey

54 minutes ago, leviramsey said:

Coworker has one (a cross trek) and the transmission went within a year...

Also note that if buying a Subaru in New England, you're giving money to Ernie Boch, Jr....

Does Ernie take a cut of every Subaru sale? And if so, how?

Anyone concerned about the latest court case that says the government didn't do enough to limit air pollution and will need to press ahead with radical changes to meet air targets?

The government was supposed to do things like ban diesels from city centres, raise tax on diesel and increase subsidies on cleaner cars. George Osborne apparently blocked it all because it was bad for businesses who use dirty, polluting diesels, and up until very recently government had been pushing diesels as the cleaner choice due to the them being quite good with CO2 emissions.

The particulates and NOx emissions from diesels sit on people's lungs causing respitory illnesses such as asthma and lung cancer. We're killing ourselves because no one will face up to the reality and give up their smog machine for something cleaner.

Euro 6 diesels are much better but in real world tests still show very high NOx emissions. Petrols are by no means perfect but at least modern cleaner engines emit far less NOx and a similar amount of CO2 to diesels.

The answer is to drive less, walk more, cycle more, buy less polluting cars like EVs and hybrids. Toyota hybrids have been euro 6 compatible for the last 10 years and are very cheap to buy and run. Yet they're not 'exciting' enough to drive, people prefer their own excitement over other's health, and motoring magazines willfully give bad advice, promoting polluting cars over cleaner ones.

Major cities are about to ban diesels from entering. That's just the start. Diesels will be worth nothing pretty soon.

• Like 1

On 29 October 2016 at 09:47, chrisp65 said:

I've been driving a 1 series BMW this week as a hire car.

One of the things that pisses me off, its a BMW 1 series - Not a 1 series BMW. You wouln't say Its a "Focus Ford" or a "Vectra Vauxhall"... just one of those things that bugs me :D

On 07/11/2016 at 08:37, Genie said:

One of the things that pisses me off, its a BMW 1 series - Not a 1 series BMW. You wouln't say Its a "Focus Ford" or a "Vectra Vauxhall"... just one of those things that bugs me :D

The cars gone back anyway, so it's irrelevant now.

I'm driving a C class Mercedes today.

Â