What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

8 cars sounds like a triumph of an achievement.

Yep, 72 3.0V8 Stag. It has a 77 Midget and 2 1968 Mini Travellers to keep it company.

The modern fleet consists of a Merc SL 500, Jag X Type estate, Renault Megane Diesel (runaround) and a Toyota HiLux Surf.

Hey, everyone has to have a hobby :-)

• Like 3

Yep, 72 3.0V8 Stag. It has a 77 Midget and 2 1968 Mini Travellers to keep it company.

The modern fleet consists of a Merc SL 500, Jag X Type estate, Renault Megane Diesel (runaround) and a Toyota HiLux Surf.

Hey, every rich bastard has to have a hobby :-)

On 5/16/2016 at 20:54, Stevo985 said:

May very well find myself in a new job soon, with a rather sweet step up in salary.

Might have to upgrade the A3 to an A5 :D

Already arranged a visit to "discuss" :D

I dont know what folk see in Audis. Worst day of my life investing in Audi but i was taking advice off a woman at the time. Girls car, Tin pot outfit and services.

Get what you pay for i guess. Or maybe not, Should have saved myself a few quid and got a VW because that's all what they are but without paying thousands more just for a badge but at least I would have got far more value for money. 

Oh well live and learn.

Edited by Kingman

9 hours ago, Kingman said:

I dont know what folk see in Audis. Worst day of my life investing in Audi but i was taking advice off a woman at the time. Girls car, Tin pot outfit and services.

Get what you pay for i guess. Or maybe not, Should have saved myself a few quid and got a VW because that's all what they are but without paying thousands more just for a badge but at least I would have got far more value for money. 

Oh well live and learn.

My A1 is a brilliant little car, but you are right - not as good as a Golf (better than all of VW's other cars though!) 

A golf and an A3 are basically the same. 

With an A3 you're paying more for the trim and the look (and the badge, no doubt). 

They even started making the top end Golfs less nice because they didn't want people buying them instead of an A3.

So yeah, if you're only looking for value, go for the Golf.

Of course, if you're only bothered about Value, you should probably get a Seat...

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

......until you chuck them into a bend at 50mph, then the Golf sticks like glue while the A3 loses its back end and tries to flip you over! :D

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

......until you chuck them into a bend at 50mph, then the Golf sticks like glue while the A3 loses its back end and tries to flip you over! :D

I'd be surprised if this was the case. If there was going to be 2 attributes that are identical it ride and handling. They will both have the same suspension and chassis, probably developed in parallel too.

13 hours ago, Genie said:

I'd be surprised if this was the case. If there was going to be 2 attributes that are identical it ride and handling. They will both have the same suspension and chassis, probably developed in parallel too.

Yep, it's not the case.

Having had a Golf followed by an A3 as my last 2 cars, I can say that they handles extremely similarly. Maybe if you were using the really soft suspension on the A3 it would be as wazzap suggested, but I didn't think anybody actually went for that suspension! The default is the mid level suspension.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, it's not the case.

Having had a Golf followed by an A3 as my last 2 cars, I can say that they handles extremely similarly. Maybe if you were using the really soft suspension on the A3 it would be as wazzap suggested, but I didn't think anybody actually went for that suspension! The default is the mid level suspension.

I've driven both two and found them to be quite different, especially cornering. 

The Golf always felt planted, pretty much no matter what. The A3 on he ther hand always felt like the back end was trying to get away from you. Even more so having downgraded to an A1. 

I'm no expert so maybe it's just me, but they don't drive the same from my experience. 

Maybe, but as genie pointed out, they're built off the same platform, so the suspension and chassis are genuinely likely to be incredibly similar, if not identical.

I'd say it's more likely you drove a sports suspension Golf and a SE suspension A3, or something along those lines. Maybe a 4WD Golf and a RWD A3?

Like I said, my A3 is basically just a nicer version of my old car.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

went to a county show yesterday and there was a Tesla stand there .. sat in one with the kids and nearly drained the battery as they pushed just about every button possible  , they want me to buy one , I think mainly for the fact you open the sunroof by sliding a little bar on the central console and the various other buttons you get to press .

I felt the interior was a bit cheap looking ... sorta cheap like the Evogue / discovery rather than quality like the top end cars have ... for the money I'd have expected the Tesla to be more on the high end side of things

I think it's a nice looking car , my brother thinks it's an ugly car .. but then he likes the ugly Porsche Cayman so it's in the eye of the beholder I guess 

probably still won't get one .. but a part of me is tempted

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

went to a county show yesterday and there was a Tesla stand there .. sat in one with the kids and nearly drained the battery as they pushed just about every button possible  , they want me to buy one , I think mainly for the fact you open the sunroof by sliding a little bar on the central console and the various other buttons you get to press .

I felt the interior was a bit cheap looking ... sorta cheap like the Evogue / discovery rather than quality like the top end cars have ... for the money I'd have expected the Tesla to be more on the high end side of things

I think it's a nice looking car , my brother thinks it's an ugly car .. but then he likes the ugly Porsche Cayman so it's in the eye of the beholder I guess 

probably still won't get one .. but a part of me is tempted

the S i presume?

5 minutes ago, zak said:

Interesting, i also presume they would have a quality interior

it's a bit plastic looking ... if you compare it to say an F-Pace you can see the step up in quality on the F-pace  ... even thought the F-Pace is probably around £40 k cheaper  ..obviously it's not as straight forward as the price when comparing the two .... it's not terrible , but it's def noticeable

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

With an A3 you're paying more for the trim and the look (and the badge, no doubt). 

They even started making the top end Golfs less nice because they didn't want people buying them instead of an A3.

So yeah, if you're only looking for value, go for the Golf.

Of course, if you're only bothered about Value, you should probably get a Seat...

SEAT's Leon (I presume) are nicer looking than both the Golf (which has it's charms) and the A3 (which is **** boring to look at).

Â