What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

Thinking of getting the Scirocco R TSI 280, yes I know the Golf is quicker and cheaper but I prefer the design 10 fold. It still does 0-60 in 5.5s so hardly slow!

Only thing is it's a DSG (Semi-Auto) and I have only ever driven manuals. I'm going for a test drive next week but what are people's views on the flappy paddle gearbox and the Scirocco in particular?

Yoiu'll love driving an automatic, and will never go back to a manual, I predict.  We have 4 cars with flappy paddles, and never, ever use them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

Thinking of getting the Scirocco R TSI 280, yes I know the Golf is quicker and cheaper but I prefer the design 10 fold. It still does 0-60 in 5.5s so hardly slow!

Only thing is it's a DSG (Semi-Auto) and I have only ever driven manuals. I'm going for a test drive next week but what are people's views on the flappy paddle gearbox and the Scirocco in particular?

I had the Golf DSG a few years back and I really liked it. 

Mine didn't have flappy paddles though, you shifted the gear stick across to the left and moved it up and down. 

You get people going on about the 'driving experience' with a manual and all that bollocks, like we spend our days hurtling around empty country lanes, like they do in the adverts.

Reality is, a lot of the time we are all stuck in traffic, or constantly stop/starting. An auto is just so much easier. Brilliant on the Motorway too. I'll definitely be going back to one when I swap my car this year. 

• Like 2

I'd never buy a manual car again. I've got a semi auto BMW (4th automatic I have had ) and would never go back. 

On 2017-6-10 at 18:14, Risso said:

Yoiu'll love driving an automatic, and will never go back to a manual, I predict.  We have 4 cars with flappy paddles, and never, ever use them.

This,

I used to drive a 2005 Golf GTI, and so it was obviously fantastic to drive, when looking for a new car i was adamant i wanted another manual car and nearly didnt buy the A45 i have now because i couldnt get it in a manual, just flappy gears. I love it, and am very unlikely to go back to a manual. 

So I test drove the Scirocco, man it's quick! So much fun! Think I'm going to go about getting one in next few weeks/month - possibly lease looking at how I've been buying cars in past and seeing lease is cheaper than other methods when I'll always be looking at newer cars every three years odd. But that's a different conversation.

But more pressing is selling current car. Any ideas/ views on best place to sell? It's worth £6-7k now if that makes a difference. Selling is always a hassle, at least with lease it won't be!

3 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

If this is going to turn into an auction and @rjw63 is going to come in with his double bids, then I will offer £100.

If it's a manual you can have it.

Last week I was told I could have a 65 plate Ford Ecosport for nothing but I turned it down, prefer my old automatic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V01 said:

I'll give you a fiver if you're after a quick sale...

Me liking this is not an acceptance of the price :D

And yep, it's a manual! But just wondered what people's views are of the main players; ebay, autotrader, webuy etc etc...

10 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Me liking this is not an acceptance of the price :D

And yep, it's a manual! But just wondered what people's views are of the main players; ebay, autotrader, webuy etc etc...

I've sold my last couple of cars on gumree for free. It does attract idiots too but I think they will all do that.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2017 at 21:38, Midfielder said:

See that turd there. Won't know til tomorrow if I've got to have whole engine replaced. Breakdown guy said yeah you've definitely done the engine etc but it's parked outside a garage who won't know anything about it til they open and hopefully they can do the work or even want the work or I'll have to arrange flatbed to move it! 

Either cambelt went or the engine itself went. Dammit. Gonna be expensive poss close to 3k :( look after it oil everything regular service , boll---! Agh! Not even close to cambelt interval either nor nowhere anywhere near a whole engine replacement, Jesus Christ

thread title. What do you drive. 

Answer. Nowt. Or possibly a hire car for god knows how long or rural bus service! 

Anger! Misery! Rant over

Villa tank needed new flywheel (which apparently never breaks, just my luck) all in cost 780 notes w t f. Still, proves the RAC gimp scaremongered me with talk of new engine and all sorts of up to three grand. Two weeks ago fixed all ok since and fingers crossed. Until next time. 

oh "L200s workhorses never any issues bulletproof" yeah my arse. Anyway. Just "reppin for the rednecks" on here whilst the many beautiful newer cars on this thread rock on all nice and dandy. 

I only passed my test a year ago and drive a 57 plate 207 (lime green :D). It's alright for city driving, but it's a cheap, almost disposable car to have as my first one, as there seemed to be a good chance I'd crash it a bit.

I just had a weekend away in the peak district, and it's a far bloody cry from city driving. I think that was the first time I ever really enjoyed driving rather than it being a means to an end, there are some incredible roads around there,

• Like 1

I find driving a massive chore now, as I only do 'urban' driving. Stop/start all the way. Any enjoyment I used to have from it has long gone. If I lived in the countryside I may feel different I guess. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I find driving a massive chore now, as I only do 'urban' driving. Stop/start all the way. Any enjoyment I used to have from it has long gone. If I lived in the countryside I may feel different I guess. 

That's why hybrids are perfect for city driving. Stop start doesn't use the engine. 

Ordered the Scirocco R 280ps with the DSG gearbox...

So new car for first time ever, VW for the first time ever, with an automatic for the first time ever and doing it through a lease for first time ever. Scary!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Ordered the Scirocco R 280ps with the DSG gearbox...

So new car for first time ever, VW for the first time ever, with an automatic for the first time ever and doing it through a lease for first time ever. Scary!

Colour?

51 minutes ago, BOF said:

Colour?

Indium Grey. To everyone else...grey!

I've always wanted a grey car, weird I know, but they just feel executive to me but with the power underneath. I currently have a bright red Honda Civic and it feels a bit too 'loud' for me now!

Edited by jackbauer24
Spelling
  • Like 1

Just now, jackbauer24 said:

Indium Grey. To everyone else...grey!

I've always wanted a grey car, weird I know, but they just feel executive to me but with the power underneath. I currently have a bright red Honda Civic and it feels a bit to 'loud' for me now!

Noice!

ed836945534e09f95d6ba59d2b0006b2.jpg

• Like 1

Â