Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

roonst83

Fresh from a [excuse the pun] hammering at home today, are we to expect Spurs to take revenge on us? Or do we expect us to be more up to the task then we were in the cup recently? (Granted we had a threadbare squad). Benteke being back hopefully would help us, but in truth I wish we were playing them away. Although with the quality Spurs have we will no doubt have little of the ball anyway which may suit us more. One thing is for sure, we need to play better than we have in our last two games.

Hope Lambert uses Benteke if he's fit - as Kodak hasn't looked up to scratch for me. Be good to have a near-fit Gabby back too. Not necessarily expecting a win to be honest as despite today's result, Spurs have looked excellent at times this season, but hope we give a good account of ourselves and dig out something.

Edited by roonst83

Do you think Belgium will take the piss and play him? I for one would be fuming if they do especially given the form of Lukaku.

If he is fit for this game I think we'll run them very close. Of course we can beat Spuds, but our home form is such a concern, we didnt particularly play well against Citeh, the win papered over the cracks. We were pretty poor against Hull too, its quite strange we've picked up 7/9 points without Tekkers, but if we can get him in to start for this one I think we'll be good for at least a point.

1-1

Trawling through the Spurs forums, there is a general consensus amongst their lot that they struggle to break teams down. With that in mind I'd return to 3-5-2 for this:

Guzan

Vlaar Baker Clark

Bacuna KEA Delph Sylla Luna

Benteke Helenius

I assume Benteke will be fit for that game. If not then may as well stick with Kozak. Weimann must be dropped and I've wanted to see Helenius given a start for ages. Looks like he could do that second striker role well.

Given Tottenham's result yesterday, the international break has probably come at a good time. They will no doubt have been desperate to avenge the West Ham result as soon as possible.

• Like 1

I think a 3-5-2 may be best for us - as we need to try and stop Dembele and whoever they choose out of Erikson, Paulinho, Townsend, Sigurdsson etc dictating play. I would therefore bring back Sylla into the middle for his steel and energy. Cant see him dropping Bacuna who has looked decent enough going forward and as a wing-back in a 5 man midfield he'd get more licence to. Id therefore bring back Tekkers (if fit) for Kozak. Would ideally want a replacement for Andi as he hasnt looked good at all this season, but there's no suitable options really so I guess he'll start and at least with Weimann he will chase down players and can finish when given the chance.

Edited by roonst83

The only thing I would say against the 3-5-2 is that they only have Defoe up front. It worked against City because they had Negredo and Dzeko up front so we could match them for crosses, but three center backs will become redundant if they're not really marking anyone.

I'd prefer a hardworking 4-5-1 so our fullbacks will get ample protection and we clog up the middle of the park where they like to play.

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Luna

Bacuna Sylla Delph KEA Agbonlahor

Kozak

Edited by Kwan

I'd expect Benteke to be back for this. The result is a bit of a coin toss though. On paper you'd assume we'd lose, but Citeh showed us that's not a total guarantee. Spurs were gash against the Hammers by all accounts and in a way that's the last thing we needed. Now they'll want a reaction.

The only thing I would say against the 3-5-2 is that they only have Defoe up front. It worked against City because they had Negredo and Dzeko up front so we could match them for crosses, but three center backs will become redundant if they're not really marking anyone.

I'd prefer a hardworking 4-5-1 so our fullbacks will get ample protection and we clog up the middle of the park where they like to play.

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Luna

Kozak

This is a good shout actually. I wouldn't mind seeing that given a try. Although I'd propably swap Bacuna and Lowton as Bacuna is playing so well at RB.

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Luna

Kozak

Trouble with 3 at the back is the defenders don't know who to mark and we were crap from corners against city. I don't want us to risk it! Stick with what we know. Weimann needs to improve on the weekend but he will prefer playing with Benteke than Kozak. Maybe Sylla for KEA as he didn't make much impact at Hull. Westwood just needs match practice and ball retention is important.

I'm starting to think that the big scorelines that we were on the wrong side of last season are genuinely going to become a rarity.

We've lost by one goal to Chelsea and Liverpool.

I do however think this might be too big an ask for us though. Maybe 2-1 or 2-0 to Spurs.