• VT Supporter

Blame anyone who should be blamed. As a football fan, holding FIFA morally responsible is particularly important to me personally. t is also particularly important to relate these deaths to football and to FIFA, as the World Cup is essentially a brand building stunt for Qatar, which they have bought from FIFA, and I really, really don’t want that stunt to succeed. Highlighting the horrible human costs of it all is important for that reason. 

Edited by El Zen
  • VT Supporter
7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The fourth sentence here is true - *all* construction companies use migrant labour in these Gulf monarchies, because they can and that's how business is done. But it was therefore known, and entirely predictable, that South Asian workers would be kept in conditions of modern-day slavery and die in large numbers during the construction of stadia and associated facilities that did not exist yet.

The lesson is simply that you should not award tournaments to countries which a] do not already have the facilities, and b] have a long track record of serious human rights abuses and safety violations in the type of construction projects that will be required to create the facilities.

The fact they awarded the tournament to Qatar in the absolute dodgiest of circumstances in the first place makes the situation even more repellent. Nobody at FIFA considered for one minute the inevitable loss of life, or the impracticalities of the tournament, because they were busy stuffing brown envelopes in their pockets.

I think they considered it, and then just decided that by their own moral standards it’s all absolutely fine.

FIFA has to be high up on the unethical spectrum, you basically have to be a conniving little scrote to even be offered a position there.

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â