World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

Have they announced what the composition of the seasons will be like yet?

I heard premier league is just going to start again as soon as it ends which will be the busy xmas period...players will be on their knees, there has to be a winter break surely as you can play a bit more in the summer.

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I've no doubt that the stadiums will look absolutely fantastic

yep

when its being held in a country where nearly all the stadiums are new ($4bn) one of the host cities is being built from scratch ($45bn) they are installing a brand new metro and highway system ($50bn) new bridges ($15bn) a new airport ($15bn) building a new island ($15bn) a new port ($7bn) new residential projects ($6bn in doha alone) a new drainage and sewer system ($18bn) you can imagine the place will be pretty special

you just have to ignore everything else...

• Like 1

to put in to some sort of perspective we in the UK spend around $120bn on infrastructure per year, UK is 93,628m2 and 65m people

qatar are spending $140bn on infrastructure for the world cup, they are 4473m2 and 2.5m people

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yep

when its being held in a country where nearly all the stadiums are new ($4bn) one of the host cities is being built from scratch ($45bn) they are installing a brand new metro and highway system ($50bn) new bridges ($15bn) a new airport ($15bn) building a new island ($15bn) a new port ($7bn) new residential projects ($6bn in doha alone) a new drainage and sewer system ($18bn) you can imagine the place will be pretty special

you just have to ignore everything else...

But part of those stadiums will be shipped off to Africa after the tournament, because what those countries really need is VIP boxes :crylaugh::blink:

Africa to benefit from Qatar 2022 World Cup hosting

By Ibrahim Sannie
999999.gif
One of Qatar's proposed stadiums
The Qatar stadiums have been designed to be dismantled afterwards

Some African countries will benefit if Fifa grants Qatar the rights to host the 2022 World Cup.

As part of its broader legacy, the Arab state will donate the upper tier of some of its 12 stadiums to developing countries after the tournament.

As the country doesn't need many large, permanent venues, so they would be built with modular upper levels that can be taken down.

These structures would then be sent off overseas, for developing countries.

Nasser Al Khater, communications director of Qatar 2022, says African countries will be among those to be considered for the gift.

"We want to leave a friendly sporting legacy globally and our modular stadiums will be the right way to implement this," Al Khater told BBC Sport.

"African countries are part of this it but this will be global as we will be seeking to offer this help to developing countries.

"We have not yet decided on how it will be done but we are certain that we want to aid Fifa's quest to accelerate the development of facilities in developing countries.

"We are sure that countries across the globe that lack sports infrastructure will stand to benefit strongly and football will continue to develop."

Al Khater played down concerns over the searing heat in Qatar during the summer when the tournament is hosted, revealing plans for stadiums cooled by air conditioning.

Nasser Al Khater (right) with Brazil football legend Carlos Alberto Torres
Al Khater (right) is confident Qatar 2022 will leave a broader legacy

"We already have in our country an example of a stadium cooled by this method therefore regardless of the heat outside the temperature in the stadium will be 27C," he said.

"We have tried this for several years with the Al Sadd stadium and for all these years it has worked to perfection so rolling this out to the other stadia will not be a problem as it is part of our country's development goal."

The Qatari authorities say they will pitch for the rights to be the first country in the Middle East to host the tournament.

"The Arab region has contributed immensely to football and it is now time for us to be given the opportunity to host the World Cup," Al Khater said.

"Our fans are very passionate about the game, key players from come from this region and the people of Qatar are avid fans of football.

"Every region in the world has had the opportunity to host the global tournament and it is now our time to show the world what we are capable of doing."

Successful bids for both the 2018 and 2022 events will be announced in December this year, giving winning nations ample time to prepare for the world's most spectacular sporting event.

Qatar, which is only bidding for the 2022 event, will have competition from Australia, Japan, USA and South Korea.

The country has previously hosted global sporting events including the Asian Games in December 2006 and the World Indoor Athletic Championships earlier this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/8690666.stm

This of course has nothing to do with getting the votes from the African federations...

its that kind of nonsense that wins you world cups

"legacy" **** me (although paris would probably point at london's olympics and moan the same)

We have not yet decided on how it will be done

probably means that it wont be 

Qatar are going to be absolutely murdered at the world cup. Even if they get in a group with New Zealand, Honduras, and Ghana, they will finish last with a bad GD. 

There should be some rule that the host country has to actually be decent at football. Qatar is so tiny as well. Ignoring the vast wealth difference, it would be the equivalent of the Puerto Rico hosting the world cup, and Puerto Rico still has 33% more population. 

Qatar is also ranked 89th in the world. Even with a 48 team world cup, Qatar is still a whopping 41 spots away from being top 48. The Faroe Islands, The Cape Verde Islands, and Swaziland are ranked higher than Qatar. It's ridiculous that they get a world cup birth. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

There should be some rule that the host country has to actually be decent at football. Qatar is so tiny as well. Ignoring the vast wealth difference, it would be the equivalent of the Puerto Rico hosting the world cup, and Puerto Rico still has 33% more population.

Ignoring for a minute the obvious financial ulterior motives of giving the world cup to countries like Qatar, FIFA's stated objective is to expand the global game into areas that either don't have it or which can be further developed.  So a rule whereby a country 'has to be decent at football' basically flies in the face of their stated objective.

If we remove the cynical financial element, they have the WC precisely because they're shit.

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ignoring for a minute the obvious financial ulterior motives of giving the world cup to countries like Qatar, FIFA's stated objective is to expand the global game into areas that either don't have it or which can be further developed.  So a rule whereby a country 'has to be decent at football' basically flies in the face of their stated objective.

If we remove the cynical financial element, they have the WC precisely because they're shit.

I don't think throwing Qatar into a world cup is the best way to grow the game. All that is going to happen is they will get massively beat down each match, and for many supporters of the country, that will likely turn them away from the game. Who wants to see their home nation get battered by a mediocre nation? I am seeing this as a exeter city vs any premier league team scenario. Yea it's fun for exeter, but ultimately it will do nothing. 

I'm sure Qatar will do as they do in every other sport and buy players/athletes from other countries and domesticate them.

Their Handball team in the last World Cup had 11 foreigners in a squad of 14.

They do the same in athletics. 

The rules are a bit different in football (now) but I'm sure they'll find a way.

Sure the refs will help as well, like they did for the home nations in Japan/Korea 2002

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Qatar are going to be absolutely murdered at the world cup. Even if they get in a group with New Zealand, Honduras, and Ghana, they will finish last with a bad GD. 

Qatar is also ranked 89th in the world. Even with a 48 team world cup, Qatar is still a whopping 41 spots away from being top 48. The Faroe Islands, The Cape Verde Islands, and Swaziland are ranked higher than Qatar. It's ridiculous that they get a world cup birth. 

people said the same about USA in 94 and Japan and Korea in 2002

1 hour ago, sne said:

I'm sure Qatar will do as they do in every other sport and buy players/athletes from other countries and domesticate them.

Their Handball team in the last World Cup had 11 foreigners in a squad of 14.

They do the same in athletics. 

The rules are a bit different in football (now) but I'm sure they'll find a way.

Sure the refs will help as well, like they did for the home nations in Japan/Korea 2002

They did this a few years back when they hosted an Asian cup, fast tracked a whole host of south americans to play for them. Think a couple still do now.

They're way off qualifying for a world cup in normal circumstances.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Won't be watching.

I'm pretty much of the same thing.

I didn't like them being awarded it (at least Russia has some sort of football tradition even if it's got many issues itself), I don't like the artificial nature of it (building new cities to host games) and I certainly don't like the timing of it which will mess up the domestic season I think.

Was going to say I'd boycott it and not watch a minute of any game but bit hard when it's going to be on in all the pubs as international tournament games are.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

people said the same about USA in 94 and Japan and Korea in 2002

USA were ranked 23rd in the world in 94 before the world cup started. Funny enough USA is currently ranked 23rd in the world as well.

South Korea was ranked 22nd in 2002.

This is absolutely no where near similar to Qatar who is 89th...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

USA were ranked 23rd in the world in 94 before the world cup started. Funny enough USA is currently ranked 23rd in the world as well.

South Korea was ranked 22nd in 2002.

This is absolutely no where near similar to Qatar who is 89th...

when they were awarded the competition they werent. USA hadnt been to a World Cup in 40 years and mainly amateur players with no professional league, Japan had never qualified for a World Cup when both were awarded

• Like 1

Â