World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I was of the same mindset but trouble is the World Cup is very difficult to avoid. It's on both terrestrial channels, it's on in every pub, it's on every electronics store that has TVs in its display windows (was watching Holland Australia while waiting for a bus during the last one).

Actually wish BT could've got the rights then I could've easily avoided it like I do the champions league.

It's not a case of being that pedantic though, as in literally averting your eyes walking past Currys on the high street.  I personally won't be sitting down at any point to specifically watch a match, whether that be in my sitting room or in a pub.  In that sense I won't be 'supporting' it, as pointless as that may be in the grand scheme.  They don't deserve the viewership.  I've no doubt I'll be in a pub at some point (as I always am) and there'll be highlights playing in the background.  That's probably unavoidable, but I won't be doing myself out of a social life either just because a pub has a TV.

• Like 3

I'm all in favour of anyone who can, boycotting it...

...but I'd still watch the World Cup.  It'd feel wrong not to.  Ideally, I'd be watching the players play in empty stadiums with blank advertising boards.  Of course, that could never be the case :( 

22 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Talk of nations boycotting is a little bit more interesting though. It actually got me thinking, what happens if Ukraine actually qualify for Russia 2018? Will they boycott?

They would have boycotted qualifying, its been known for about 10 years where the World Cup will be ;) 

The stadiums will be full, no doubt about it.

They'll just do what they always do and pay for fans from poor countries to fill the seats.

They did in in the Handball WC, they do it in athletics  and they will do it with the WC.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

They would have boycotted qualifying, its been known for about 10 years where the World Cup will be ;) 

Teams would be better of boycotting as late as possible, because there's still a significant chance that it's moved.

You'd feel silly if you boycotted early and then the tournament was moved.

9 hours ago, sne said:

The stadiums will be full, no doubt about it.

They'll just do what they always do and pay for fans from poor countries to fill the seats.

They did in in the Handball WC, they do it in athletics  and they will do it with the WC.

What's process for this and public justification? I'm not familiar with this practice?

6 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Teams would be better of boycotting as late as possible, because there's still a significant chance that it's moved.

You'd feel silly if you boycotted early and then the tournament was moved.

Not really as you'd rejoin at that stage wouldn't you? 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

What's process for this and public justification? I'm not familiar with this practice?

Not sure on the exact details, but I remember there was talk about it at the Handball WC.

The spin was that poor people that usually would not afford to go got travel, free/cheap tickets rather than the actual reason that the stadiums would be empty without those imported fans.

6 hours ago, Genie said:

Not really as you'd rejoin at that stage wouldn't you? 

Not if qualifying is complete and you haven't qualified.

Plus all the sponsorship dollars and money that is made in the qualifying without actually having to go to Qatar, which is the real problem here.

2 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Not if qualifying is complete and you haven't qualified.

Plus all the sponsorship dollars and money that is made in the qualifying without actually having to go to Qatar, which is the real problem here.

Yeah I see, but I couldn't see them getting that close and pulling it. There's still about 3 years until the qualification phase starts.

46 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Good! At least it's not the British media getting the scoop, as I'm sure they'd find a way of ballsing it up. 

I thought similar, pleased it wasn't coming from the English press who "clearly have an axe to grind"...

The thing is, the new regime at FIFA want to be trusted, want to be liked and want to appear like they're running the business properly. They're presented with a great opportunity to show the world they've changed and they're not taking it. Clearly nothing new here.

• Like 1

FIFA have released the full 400 page report. 

I've had the briefest of whizz's through - the more you read the more sordid the whole thing seems to be. The language is a bit more accusatory when discussing nations that aren't amongst the worlds largest oil producers than when it's not.

They were talking to some journo on TS earlier about this and said how it looks really bad but there's still no "smoking gun".... WTF? Sending $2m from Qatar to a FIFA executives 10 year old daughter isn't obvious enough? 

On 6/22/2017 at 18:34, One For The Road said:

There isn't a cat in hells chance of either Russia or Qatar being boycotted. Too much money involved. Plus a distinct lack of morality from Western nations. 

Too true mate, the Russian and Qatari money is already deeply infused in the upper echelons of world football.

Â