Battlefield 4

villarule123

I never played BF2 but everyone seems to refer to it as the greatest game ever. Was it really that good? Or was it just the time it was out?

I feel that way about Halo2, no Halo has compared to it since, but if I were to play it now it wouldn't feel that good at all, it was just ahead of it's time really. 

Next-gen consoles are definitely 60fps. 

You're right you probably wouldn't play it now because of the way newer games look in comparison but it really was a brilliant game, like command and conquer generals really they havent made anything like it since.

I think my fondest memories are still from the 1942 era. I remember really enjoying BF2 but I don't actually remember the time I spend playing it (I even reviewed it for a video game website at the time). The 1943 remake on consoles really hit the spot too.

My problem with BF3 was that it just felt like it was chasing the CoD money (which we know it was) a little too aggressively. For what I've played of BF4, its nice to see they're easing off on that and trying out new ideas (the verticality in maps). And getting rid of the blue BF3 filter is a bonus - that thing looked great on first impressions but got old quickly.

Are they having the same upgrade system where more time invested means significantly better guns?   That is the thing that annoyed me most about recent BF games, and the thing they got so very wrong in their desperation to ape Call of Duty.  Yes, people like to see character progression but the great thing about Call of Duty is that the weapons you unlock aren't necessarily better than the ones you start with so new players don't feel like they are running around with a pea shooter. 

Well seems the BETA is over. I really enjoyed it. So much so i'm tempted to buy it on PC and then again on Xbone. It will be a long month knowing that other people are playing it and I won't be. I also refuse to play it on current-gen consoles.

Edited by PieFacE

Loved Battlefield Bad Company 2. Spent so many hours on it.

Battlefield 3 was good and I played it a fair bit.

I have to say though I wasn't grabbed by the BETA of BF4. Can't explain why.. Maybe I'm going off shooters? Maybe it's because I know I won't spend much time on it getting to know the maps, weapon set-ups etc... I see BF4 as being a game I'd need to invest my time into and it's not something I'll be able to do.

Building demolition isn't scripted I don't think? I'm pretty sure you can knock the skyscraper down whenever you like or not at all. .

With next-gen consoles being able to play this game at 60FPS, console gamers are about to feel what Battlefield is all about! 64 player carnage. It's gunna be fun!

Scripted may have been the wrong word, what I meant was that the skyscraper demolition isn't dynamic destruction. There's one or two that you can destroy, and it is destroyed in exactly the same way every time, right down to the rubble landing in the same place. The whole demolition thing sounds great, I just wish it wasn't just one designated skyscraper you're allowed to knock down, but not the others.

Also, keep in mind that even though it might run at 60 FPS, they've had to make it render at 720p, because the 'next gen' (yeah right) consoles aren't able to handle 1080p at an acceptable framerate. PC is still the way to go if you have one that can run it.

Edited by Davkaus

Loved Battlefield Bad Company 2. Spent so many hours on it.

Battlefield 3 was good and I played it a fair bit.

I have to say though I wasn't grabbed by the BETA of BF4. Can't explain why.. Maybe I'm going off shooters? Maybe it's because I know I won't spend much time on it getting to know the maps, weapon set-ups etc... I see BF4 as being a game I'd need to invest my time into and it's not something I'll be able to do.

Didnt really do it for me either really. Hopefully it was just the awful map you had to play on.

Building demolition isn't scripted I don't think? I'm pretty sure you can knock the skyscraper down whenever you like or not at all. .

With next-gen consoles being able to play this game at 60FPS, console gamers are about to feel what Battlefield is all about! 64 player carnage. It's gunna be fun!

Scripted may have been the wrong word, what I meant was that the skyscraper demolition isn't dynamic destruction. There's one or two that you can destroy, and it is destroyed in exactly the same way every time, right down to the rubble landing in the same place. The whole demolition thing sounds great, I just wish it wasn't just one designated skyscraper you're allowed to knock down, but not the others.

Also, keep in mind that even though it might run at 60 FPS, they've had to make it render at 720p, because the 'next gen' (yeah right) consoles aren't able to handle 1080p at an acceptable framerate. PC is still the way to go if you have one that can run it.

Yeah I know what you mean. It is a shame you can't knock down any of the buildings in a numerous amount of ways.  I guess that will be Battlefield 5.

I actually think the destruction was better in BC2 than in BF3/BF4.

I think the next-gen will eventually do 1080p at 60fps once developers have more time with the next-gen consoles and ditch the current-gen. If you compare the launch titles of the 360/PS3 against games coming out now there's a huge difference. If I had more PC buddies I'd be buying it for PC, but most my mates play consoles... dirty console gamers....

Killzone Shadow Fall runs at 60fps 1080p

DICE have acknowledged that as a big misstep in BF3. The starter kits for each class are definitely improved in BF4. Presumably so it's the progression.

That's a bit mis-interpreted.  The best/most balanced gun was the first gun you were ever given - the M16.

The support kit got the M249 - the highest rate of fire machine gun with pretty good recoil

The engineers got the M4a1/Aks-u - the m4 being the engineer equivalent to the m16.

The recons got the Mod11k which is an M16 battle rifle and an SV98 - which is a little bit poop.

But they gave you very good weapons from the get go.  

IMO only the An-94/G3A3 are more effective in the right hands than anyone with an M16.. The M16 is the gun all the competitive players use STILL.

You can tell DICE regret the M16 overuse because it's not in BF4.. There's the M16a4 variant which is burst fire, but there will not be an M16 with fully automatic fire (unless they add DLC?!).

In actuality, the example they gave was regarding jets. The explanation being that someone new to the game started jets with access to dog fighting guns which require a great deal of skill to be good and had to go up against established players with heat seeking missiles and defence measures that don't.

Ultimately, it's less about guns being objectably better, more about guns offering variety and allowing a player to mix it up the more they play as a means to keep them interested. CoD, last I played (MW2 era) was very good at this. BF3 less so. They're hoping to address this in BF4.

Edited by Sie

I never played BF3 so I can't comment on what DICE did there, I was referring to Bad Company 2 where you did start with utter shit compared to what you could unlock later. 

hmmmm... what do people think to this? I don't know if it will be really helpful or really annoying. Being able to say "need ammo" will be cool for the person saying it, however, over the headset it will be quite annoying. 

WP_20131025_035.jpg

Edited by PieFacE

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview

I hope this is just because the developers are getting used to the new systems, but 'next gen' is hardly inspiring me much reading that. Especially when the XBO is supposedly just about making 720p, and with a low res. The PS4 is slightly more uplifting but even that couldn't get to 1080p

I kind of wish I had the room for a PC, as soon as I move house in a couple of years I'll be building one again. This may be the last console I'll be getting on/close to release.

dev kits don't work properly, online doesn't work properly, cloud stuff doesn't work properly

it wasnt supposed to come out until march/april

couple that with the fact that the CPU and GPU are both being overclocked from day 1 and it's a dangerous mix

Â