I find it unbelievable the amount of negative reponse being aimed at Houllier. I think The General put it just right when he said have a view but have respect. Houllier is a great man with a great record, and why so many people are 'searching' for negatives (and ignoring the positives) is strange...and sad. Check out these quotes from Gerard (primarily from his days at pool), I think they say a lot about him:
1. "I used to stand on the Kop when I was here in 1969. The atmosphere and passion on the pitch as well as the terraces was intoxicating and Liverpool became part of me from that day on."
2. "Our job is to make the fans happy. When we win, 45,000 people go home happy. When we lose, it not only affects them, it affects their cats."
3. "To most Liverpool supporters it won't matter if 11 Martians bring the championship back to Anfield, as long as it comes.''
4. "We don't destroy our heroes today when we worshipped them yesterday"
5. "The only pleasure I take is that the fans are happy with the team. But I don't believe in anything other than my team."
6. "I notice a former captain of ours said recently that this squad is so good that we don't need a manager. I took this as a great compliment. He must have changed his mind since leaving as he said at the time that Phil Thompson and I would drag the club down. On that point I suppose he was right - we dragged the club down to Cardiff three times in the last 10 months."
7. "You can't build a cathedral in a day. A look at the club's history tells you these things take time."
8. "We scored 127 goals - the third highest total in the club's history. Although, if you believe everything you read in the papers, 126 probably came from a breakaway from the edge of our penalty area. The other one was probably an own goal."
9. "A player needs to be a winner every day in training. Every function, every exercise, he should be striving to win. We assume they go out on match day with that attitude but I expect to see it all the time, when they are working behind closed doors."
10. "You are not sure to succeed in this job but you are absolutely certain to fail if you are not one hundred per cent committed to the job."
11. "Sometimes football can send you from the attic to the basement without the aid of a lift."
12. "A Liverpool player must play like a lion, give his all. There must be determination, commitment and resolve to be a Liverpool player."
13. "One day we will beat Manchester United. I promise you that."
14. "I don't live in the past. I live in the present and I look to the future. But I take lessons from the past."
15. "The players? country is Liverpool Football Club and their language is football."
16. "Nobody knows everything about football but I am prepared to live and die by my ideas.''
17. "I'm very demanding in terms of work and spirit. I think I'm a very nice man but I can be a very nasty man if someone is not behaving right. If someone upsets the harmony of what we are trying to do, I am 10 times nastier than anyone else."
18. "I don't want to talk about the start of something special. I'm just doing my work."
19. "I belong to a special club, I live with special people, this is a privilege, this is pure happiness."
20. "I want to keep an English heart to the team. I believe in that. Michael Owen is that. Never think Michael is afraid of anything."
21. "To me, the team is more important than any individual member of the squad, and the players have to realise that and accept that my priority is to pick a side with the best possible chance of winning each match."
22. "When I see the Bill Shankly statue, I look at the sentiment on the base. It says: 'He made the people happy.' Well now the modern Liverpool is making the fans and the city happy. And that makes me so proud."
23. "One of the things I am in the habit of saying is that the only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."
24. "All I know is my team will die for the shirt they now wear; I can promise our fans that at least."
25. "Players have responsibilities, because, whether they like it or not, they are public figures. They have to be aware that the people who come to the ground spend fortunes in relation to what they earn."
26. "My philosophy is that you must compete, you must run and fight until you have nothing left. If we don't, then people are entitled to criticise us as much as they like, because it would be totally unacceptable."
27. "If someone is not committed or not prepared to give his all, you have a problem. Believe me, though, it is one I would not tolerate for long."
28. "These players are my true heroes."
29. "I came to this club with double vision. I want this club to be the best in this country and I want this club to be the best in Europe."
30. "I feel a bit embarrassed when the fans sing my name but my name represents the team. The players are the most important people in the game. I want to share the credit with the people around me. You don't win as just one person."
31. "The Liverpool fans are something special. I have to say that the Liverpool fans have been magnificent with me and that's all that matters. The true accolade is from the fans."
32. "The atmosphere is different here from other clubs. The mutual faith between fans and the team dates back to Shankly's time. Shankly's charisma helped that relationship develop and that relationship is still valid now."
33. "The fans are more patient than the media. You don't see many games here when the fans stop singing."