Villa pre-season results not important?

Hughes

Mods; if better placed elsewhere, please feel free to remove, merge or whatever.

I see lots of VT'ers proclaiming that pre-season results are not important and that pre-season is "all about fitness". Obviously, I agree that it is important, but it is not everything. In my opinion, results do matter - quite simply because it could say quite a bit about a winning mentality. To me, it does not matter whether we are pre-season, off-season or playing a PL match, the ultimate goal of every game should be to win. Villa have for years, again in my opinion, been troubled by an attitude that, "it does not really matter", "at least we got a good run out and improved our fitness", we got close" etc. This applies not only to pre-season but in general. We as fans and the Club as such have in my view become used to being mediocre. Where is the winning mentality? We hardly see ManU or Chelsea loosing, or even drawing, many  pre-season games, do we? (do not bother finding examples of where they have lost - you know what I mean). Why? Well, I am sure it is partly because they have for years have a mentality where mediocrity is not accepted. You play to win, that's it.

Now, I am not predicting the end of the world because we fail to beat a 5th Level German team. No reason to panic based on one result, and no reason to describe me as a drama queen etc. Today was not just a one-off result - we are too often also in competitive matches losing or drawing where we really should have won. Again; the mentality and approach have been not good enough on too many instances. How many times have we been knocked out of "easy" European games (Rapid Wien is not a very good team, trust me). Bradford anyone? Doncaster? Losing at home in PL to bottom of the League teams? it has been going on for years. In order to change this, it has to start in pre-season, really instilling a winning mentality and an attitude that only winning is good enough. Thus, I do not buy into this "results do not matter stuff". They do, and to us they should matter more than to others because we are behind a lot of teams with respect to having the right mentality. And, as for today's game;  Lederhosen SV or whatever should be a team which we should comfortably beat, even if all Villa players were called off the beach with one day's notice. It's 5th Level FFS, 1-1 is simply not good enough, pre-season or not. And, they are in pre-season too. We need to be much more focused on results.

this result probably underlined to Lambert why hes after a number 10. Didn't sound like we created much.

Lets hope he gets what he needs before the season starts. Just got to get rid of the overpaid flops.

Ridiculous. If we lose every pre season game then pick up a decent number of points during our tough start to the league will you still be crying then?

If we then go on losing to Bradford over a two leg tie I think I will. It is not about this single result today, it's about this Club not having a winning mentality, as shown over many years. Creating an attitude where not winning is not acceptable is the only way to change that, and that as to start in pre-season. That should make any Villa fan cry IMO.

No.

Just no.

care to elaborate?

Ridiculous. If we lose every pre season game then pick up a decent number of points during our tough start to the league will you still be crying then?

If we then go on losing to Bradford over a two leg tie I think I will. It is not about this single result today, it's about this Club not having a winning mentality, as shown over many years. Creating an attitude where not winning is not acceptable is the only way to change that, and that as to start in pre-season. That should make any Villa fan cry IMO.

No.

Just no.

care to elaborate?

So we don't have a winning in mentality? Where were you the last few months of the season when we beat every team around us that we needed to then? QPR, Reading, Stoke, Sunderland, Norwich and West Ham to ensure survival. Including late winners at Stoke and Norwich. The majority of fans are very positive about the villa at the minute and can see the improvement in the team since the turn of the year. Don't think you've thought this through at all. 

I've seen enough teams have great pre-season results only to struggle at the start of their season and vice-versa to realise they matter little.

Exactly. You would be concerned if we never won a single game during pre-season but really the results are meaningless. You would hope performances are closer to Premiership standard when we are closer to the Premiership season - we're miles off at the moment, it's the first game back. 

No.

Just no.

care to elaborate?

So we don't have a winning in mentality? Where were you the last few months of the season when we beat every team around us that we needed to then? QPR, Reading, Stoke, Sunderland, Norwich and West Ham to ensure survival. Including late winners at Stoke and Norwich. The majority of fans are very positive about the villa at the minute and can see the improvement in the team since the turn of the year. Don't think you've thought this through at all. 

Believe it or not, I am actually more optimistic before this season than for many years (at least until the CB TR came up). Maybe I have not thought this through but I at least thought that this was a discussion board where opinions and views did not have to be on a PhD level every time. Ah well, I will leave it at that.   

QPR pre season Fixtures from 2012/2013

Sabah Select XI  0- 5  QPR

Kelantan 0- 5 QPR

Persebaya Surabaya 1-2 QPR

Wycombe Wanderers 0-3 QPR

Trabzonspor 1-1 QPR

FC Augsburg 2-2 QPR

Undefeated in pre season and still finished last in the league.

Means **** all.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

Lambert out!

Was just about to say this. Absolutely disgraceful stuff - this is the lowest I've ever felt as a Villa fan. Chelsea and Bradford were nothing compared to this. LAMBERT OUT!

jeeez, not at all what I tried to say and you know it. Thanks for contributing in a mature way.

Â