Why do YOU support Villa?

Spoony

My granddad was born in Aston, was offered a contract by Villa in the early 1930's when he was 17 but my great granddad told him to go and work for the brewery instead, as a career as a footballer was short-lived an not that well paid in those days...

My Dad grew up in Perry Barr. 

If I wanted to see live football then he wouldn't take me anywhere else than Villa Park.

First game i saw was a 0-0 draw with Leeds, second game was a 0-4 loss to Arsenal. Think it was the 1994/95 season where we almost went down.

The season after was great though. That's when I fell in love with the Villa.

A kid rocked up to my school from birmingham when i was 12 (i live in Australia). We became friends and he introduced me to the villa and unfortunately the spice girls. I watched the villa on the only premier league highlights we had back then which was an hour wrap up on monday nights.

As a Villa fan who was born and bred in the shadows of Villa Park, it's nice to see the stories of how people from afar took a liking to my club and decided to support them rather than clubs such as Man Utd and Liverpool who have enjoyed greater achievements over the last 20 or so years. Makes me feel a sense of pride. Fair play to you all for choosing to join the Villa family :-)

My elder brother was a blues fan so at a very tender age I chose Villa to distinguish myself from him. The first match I remember seeing was Villa winning the League Cup and I was starstruck from that moment. (Little did I realise the pain that lay ahead...)

i lost a bet, lol, joke

i cant actually remember why or how i become to support villa, i think it was to do with 2 towels, one villa, one blues that my mom bought, she said to me pick whichever i wanted and the other would go to my cousin in australia, i chose the villa towel (which i still have to this day and doesnt get used ever) as it looked better and not so cheap, the blues towel was a vile blue colour, which would explain why my cousin is a blues fan

but were as most people support a club from their parents, for me it was the other way round, both mom and my departed dad support villa because of me, even my older brother, when my dad died we emptied his flat and found loads of villa memorilbilia that we never knew about, even a villa shirt, upset me alot

this almost made me cry

We just got a new fan.

@AVFCLion2013 was a 'free agent fan' who wrote to all 20 PL clubs to see why he should follow them after falling out of love of the overly-political FC Barcelona (his wife's club). He chose Villa :)

BMT89q1CYAArxmB.jpg

• Like 3

I remember being in a sports shop when i was a kid with my brothers, we all wanted some sweat bands & my older brother liked the red of Liverpool, my younger chose the blue of the noses & i to be different chose the combination of what i thought was red & blue, soon to find out it was actually claret. I loved wearing mine when i was playing out as a kid, so much so, my mom had to wait til i was asleep to wash them. Funny when i look back now, my younger brother followed my older in supporting the Pool, but i stayed loyal to my colours. My older brother now supports the Villa so he followed me in the end. I have loved Villa since then & am a proud & passionate supporter, even to the point of defending our players at an away game at Anfield. Some so called Villa fan was slagging off a couple players saying they were'nt fit to wear the shirt, but i was trying to reason with him by saying we should get behind them & encourage them instead n give them confidence to play. He then decided to make advances towards me trying to get through the crowd, when one of the players who he was angry with was near the corner flag after a break in play & could clearly hear & see this guy berating, him at which point the player decided he'd had enough abuse walked towards the guy in the stands & give him the middle finger. The guy then turned his attention to the player making his way to the front of the crowd to confront him, when the stewards spotted what he was doing & promptly grabbed hold of him & chucked him out of the ground to rapturious applause from the Villa fans. A section of the fans then turned their attention to me & started to pat me on the back & applaude me which i was stunned by.  I felt vindicated by my actions that day & shows my honour for the Villa.

• Like 1

Six years old, my dad took me to St Andrews because he wanted to see Trevor Francis playing. I hated every minute of it and made him promise to never the me back there again.

The very next week he announced we were going to another football match but spent a great deal of time explaining that it wasn't to the same place so I needn't worry. I've no idea who Villa were playing but I remember someone in the crowd giving me some sweets (in the days when a grown man giving a child a sweet wasn't an indication of impending intrusions) and having a much nicer time of it.

A few years later a neighbour gave me a huge box full of Villa programmes dating back to the 50's, hundreds of them there were. I spent endless hours going through them all at. At that point I realised that Villa were my club and despite a brief misunderstanding when my admiration for Jesper Olsen saw me receive a Man Utd towel and pillowcase one Christmas, I've been following the Villa ever since.

and despite a brief misunderstanding when my admiration for Jesper Olsen saw me receive a Man Utd towel and pillowcase one Christmas, I've been following the Villa ever since.

I once received a Liverpool scarf as a gift. We don't talk about that though.

Great Grandad is the 8th highest goalscorer for villa's history and my brother plays for them of course ...

nah, its my Grandad (Mom's side) & Dad are massive villa fans. 

I was a villa fan all my life, until one day come home from school in year 2 ( I think ) and said to my dad i didn't want to support villa anymore and Arsenal were the top side. I came home and told my dad and he went mental. Sent me up to my room and didn't speak to me until I was villa again ( Think it was a day later aha) .  A year or so later i became a season ticket holder and have been one since. It was a harsh treatment but i'm so glad he did it haha.

Much like CVByrne, it's the Irish connection in and around Italia 90 - Staunton, Houghton, Townsend and, of course, McGrath.

Based in London/Surrey now though and, yeh, it's a rare thing to find anyone even vaguely interested in Villa.

Great Grandad is the 8th highest goalscorer for villa's history and my brother plays for them of course ...

nah, its my Grandad (Mom's side) & Dad are massive villa fans. 

I was a villa fan all my life, until one day come home from school in year 2 ( I think ) and said to my dad i didn't want to support villa anymore and Arsenal were the top side. I came home and told my dad and he went mental. Sent me up to my room and didn't speak to me until I was villa again ( Think it was a day later aha) .  A year or so later i became a season ticket holder and have been one since. It was a harsh treatment but i'm so glad he did it haha.

Garraty is 9th. Still awesome though :thumb:
  • Like 1

Â