Randy's 12 Month No Show ?

smetrov

With Bill Gates venturing into football now, maybe he can be swayed into buying us instead of wasting his money on Real Madrid and the "new" Estadio Microsoft Santiago Bernabeu

I think the club actually needs to become self sustainable in the long run, we can't allow the club to fall into a situation like Leeds. By depending on the owner on bailing us out, granted he is the owner who made shedloads of mistakes, he is trying to put them right, and it won't be a quick fix unfortunately.

Unfortunately for Villa to be self sustainable it wil be likely that we will be forever run as a midtable club in the premiership, as our attendances and club profile dictates this. A unvirtious circle I suppose.  But I would take midtable this year big time.

Even you must realise with each new TV deal most of the money goes on new deals for wages

Well that's not true. The tv money has gone up and our wage bill continues to decrease.

All historical data for every premier league club shows that whenever new tv deals come in over the next year or so the wages of players at that club also rises in line with it....

As for our club players with big wages are leaving that is true however for a club making losses and spending money in the summer with some rises in pay for quite a few players over the summer I am willing to bet that the finances of the club are just about right at the moment.

the way you go on you would think the club makes money and randy uses the profits to fund third world wars lol.

No, just the worst period of football I've experienced as a fan. Luckily for Lerner there are fans like yourself that don't mind it.

Then you cant have been a fan that long it was much worse in the last years of Ellis reign.

The difference between you and I is I am not happy that we don't win things and have some of the best players in the league but I realise three key points,

Do you really think the issue most of us have is that we aren't winning things or have the best players in the league? No one is demanding or expecting us to be like Chelsea or City.

Yes I think fans are unhappy that we aren't challenging for anything.

we don't make the cash for those ambitions to be realised

Which Lerner can be partly blamed for. Just curious how you felt when Doug was in charge regarding this?

Completely disagree the only way for this club to make significantly more revenue is to be in the champions league.

an owner shouldn't have to bankroll a club unless he wants to ala Chelsea or City

No they shouldn't, however when their mistakes have effected the club then I think their main concern shouldn't be ensuring they're ok when it comes to selling the club. Again I wonder how you felt regarding this when Doug was in charge. Surely this should also make you want Lerner to sell because if it's not his own money, what is he bringing to the table as an owner?

Don't you see that your first sentence is one and the same he is just making the club run on an even keel. Doug was wasting opportunity's when a lot less money would make a big difference to the club Randy probably wouldn't have failed if he brought the club 18 months earlier when he wanted to.

If someone wanted to buy us who did want to bankroll us we would have been sold

Again, what was your reaction like regarding this for the years and years fans wanted Doug to sell?

And you don't want someone to bankroll us so surely in your opinion it's easier for Lerner to sell the club.

Doug and Randy are completely different character.

I would love someone to bankroll us as long as the liability's the club would enter belong to the chairman and not the club like at Man City.

Therefore you adjust your expectations to fit reality and that is mid table finishes

I've asked it lots already but what were your expectations when Doug was in charge? And if a self sufficient mid table team is all we aspire to be what was all the fuss about with the last owner? And i know you produce your table but we aren't a consistent mid table finishing team yet.

When doug was in charge a self sufficient team when he sold up then the top four however when many other clubs were then brought within a year that kind of went down the toilet

all the short answers are above I really cant be arsed to write an essay response.

I think the club actually needs to become self sustainable in the long run, we can't allow the club to fall into a situation like Leeds. By depending on the owner on bailing us out, granted he is the owner who made shedloads of mistakes, he is trying to put them right, and it won't be a quick fix unfortunately.

Unfortunately for Villa to be self sustainable it wil be likely that we will be forever run as a midtable club in the premiership, as our attendances and club profile dictates this. A unvirtious circle I suppose.  But I would take midtable this year big time.

Yep best you can hope for is an Everton situation and wait for a white knight buyer.

• Back on topic - do we have any advance on Norwich away a few back as being Randy's sole attendance in the last 12 months ?

Only confirmed sightings please - I don't want "well he was at Norwich a few weeks back - so probably does 5 games a season" 

I was really hoping Hairy Hands would be able to shed some light on this !

Then you cant have been a fan that long it was much worse in the last years of Ellis reign.

What? 3 relegation battles. The last two years have seen lower points totals than the final year under Doug. Last year was worst ever start to a premiership season, 3 game period of losing 15-0 and other awful records broken or close to being broken.

Yes I think fans are unhappy that we aren't challenging for anything.

Well that's different than what was originally said. I also think most of the complaints with Lerner are not just because we aren't a top 4 team.

Don't you see that your first sentence is one and the same he is just making the club run on an even keel. Doug was wasting opportunity's when a lot less money would make a big difference to the club Randy probably wouldn't have failed if he brought the club 18 months earlier when he wanted to.

Did you want Doug to bankroll the club? Also if you want the owner to run the club on the money it makes do you still want Lerner? Like I said what's he offering if it's not money? And shouldn't that make it easier to sell the club as you said its difficult because there's no billionaire oil king out there ready to bankroll us.

Doug and Randy are completely different character.

Not sure what that's got to do with anything.

When doug was in charge a self sufficient team when he sold up then the top four however when many other clubs were then brought within a year that kind of went down the toilet

Probably a typing mistake but this doesn't make sense.

Just ignore this if it's already been posted somewhere, but a guy who did an internship at Villa this year recently did an AMA on reddit.com/r/soccer, and said a few very interesting things about the club, for example

The changes that Villa have made since the Lerner takeover had been amazing. They are doing some amazing stuff that will put them leagues ahead of other teams in the years to come. Also how they are preparing themselves on the field under the leadership of Lambert is great...

think that the way that Lambert and Co. are buying is amazing. The average age of the team is like 24/25. And they are all promising.

I think that its one of the first big clubs moving the entire mindset of the staff and the mantra of the club to creating a capitalist venture. Someone earlier on here spoke about how some of the clubs are pretty prehistoric in the way they handle business. I hate to say it but the fact the US figured out how to market sports to the masses and make money. Lerner is bringing that mindset and business strategy to your club.

Just saying I think all that will be very beneficial in the future.

Just thought this gives an interesting insight into how the club is being run under Lerner. Full thread is here.

Just ignore this if it's already been posted somewhere, but a guy who did an internship at Villa this year recently did an AMA on reddit.com/r/soccer, and said a few very interesting things about the club, for example

The changes that Villa have made since the Lerner takeover had been amazing. They are doing some amazing stuff that will put them leagues ahead of other teams in the years to come. Also how they are preparing themselves on the field under the leadership of Lambert is great...

think that the way that Lambert and Co. are buying is amazing. The average age of the team is like 24/25. And they are all promising.

I think that its one of the first big clubs moving the entire mindset of the staff and the mantra of the club to creating a capitalist venture. Someone earlier on here spoke about how some of the clubs are pretty prehistoric in the way they handle business. I hate to say it but the fact the US figured out how to market sports to the masses and make money. Lerner is bringing that mindset and business strategy to your club.

Just thought this gives an interesting insight into how the club is being run under Lerner. Full thread is here.

Not buying much of it though, i already knew we were a well run club in a business sense and the stuff about our players and how we set up on the field whatever he means by that is just his opinion. Personally think this approach is very limited and has a ceiling of probably around mid table.

Not wishing to appear negative, but this lad spent a week at Villa in July and, in his own words, "At Villa I just helped out on marketing projects, sat in on meetings and helped with a little some of the website stuff."

It's hardly likely he developed any great insights into how the club is run in this short time, and he is hoping to be employed by Villa in the future, so not an entirely reliable witness, perhaps?

Not sure anyone should have much confidence in that when you refer to Cleveland Browns.

Just reading through the last few pages of this thread and there seems to be some conflict between those that prescribe to believing currently we should be a mid table club at best and those that think we should still be challenging for a top 6/7 place and better.

I am only guessing but I think your expectations for the club could be based on when you became a supporter.

I am 39 and claim to have followed the club all my life but realistically I really got into it and passionate about us when I was around 10 so 1983/84. I therefore just missed the glory years of the early 80's and we were in decline. I have therefore always had the sense that in my time we have been for the most part under achieving.

This club has a fantastic history. Unrivalled by all but a handful of other clubs. It is something to be immensely proud of and also to act as an inspiration and something to strive to getting back to.

In terms of expectation levels I hope that we always set the bar high. Otherwise we simply accept being a Fulham, West Ham, Southampton, Sunderland, West Brom etc. Just another run of the mill club. We have so much more than that going for us. For me we are one of only a few clubs that can with the right backing get up to compete with the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd. How do I know this? simply because we have before and you can't say that about many clubs despite how long ago that may have been.

I have seen it mentioned that we don't attract the crowds to be considered a big club. Quite frankly that is a load of old bull. We had a slight taste of perhaps achieving something a handful of years ago. Not winning the league but competing for a top 4 finish. At that time we managed to average over 40 thousand. I firmly believe that you give us a chance of actually having some real sustained success and competing for honours then we will sell out week in week out.

My message to all our supporters would be a simple one. Set your expectations high. It is on all of us to maintain the high standards set over many many years. The great foundations this club was built on. We owe it to those that achieved so much to not allow this great club let mediocrity become acceptable. The day we the fans lose having high standards and expectations is the day a part of this club will die.

Perfect words. Where I get frustrated in my posts, you speak how I want to.

Not wishing to appear negative, but this lad spent a week at Villa in July and, in his own words, "At Villa I just helped out on marketing projects, sat in on meetings and helped with a little some of the website stuff."

It's hardly likely he developed any great insights into how the club is run in this short time, and he is hoping to be employed by Villa in the future, so not an entirely reliable witness, perhaps?

Yeah that's a fair comment to make. I hadn't realised he was only at Villa for a week.

Good post Mark but there's expectations and there's realism. I saw the glory days and even under Oneill I thought there was a glimmer of hope we might get in the champions league and enter the big time again, but since the city take-over realism has set in. High expectations can only lead to disappointment. So unless we get a multi billionaire take over the club we are never going to be where we'd like us to be. Regarding crowds we've never really sustained large crowds.  When we won the league in 81 we averaged 33000. Yes the crowds built up until we peaked at 40k average. There's no doubt with sustained success we would fill our ground but Newcastle get 50,000 every week regardless

Â