The History Thread

maqroll

I've been watching that documentary 'The Civil War' by Ken Burns (it's on Netflix for those interested).

Yer man McClellan like...

Fantastic series. Shelby Foote was a failed novelist and jobbing history teacher until it showed, and he became a bit of a star as a result. 

David John Cawdell Irving (born 24 March 1938) is an English Holocaust denier and author who has written many books on the military and political history of World War II, with a focus on Nazi Germany. His works include The Destruction of Dresden (1963),Hitler's War (1977), Churchill's War (1987), and Goebbels: Mastermind of the Third Reich (1996). Though Irving's negationist views of World War II were never taken seriously by mainstream historians, he was recognized for his knowledge of Nazi Germany and his ability to unearth new historical documents. Irving marginalized himself in 1988 when, based on his reading of the pseudoscientific Leuchter report, he began to espouse Holocaust denial.

Irving's reputation as a historian was discredited when, in the course of an unsuccessful libel case he filed against the American historian Deborah Lipstadt and Penguin Books, he was shown to have deliberately misrepresented historical evidence in order to promote Holocaust denial. The English court found that Irving was an active Holocaust denier, antisemite, and racist, who "for his own ideological reasons persistently and deliberately misrepresented and manipulated historical evidence". In addition, the court found that Irving's books had distorted the history of Adolf Hitler's role in the Holocaust in order to depict Hitler in a favourable light.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Irving]Wikipedia

Dammit, why is it so hard to embed links in this damn new VT? 

Edited by mjmooney

David John Cawdell Irving (born 24 March 1938) is an English Holocaust denier and author who has written many books on the military and political history of World War II, with a focus on Nazi Germany. His works include The Destruction of Dresden (1963),Hitler's War (1977), Churchill's War (1987), and Goebbels: Mastermind of the Third Reich (1996). Though Irving's negationist views of World War II were never taken seriously by mainstream historians, he was recognized for his knowledge of Nazi Germany and his ability to unearth new historical documents. Irving marginalized himself in 1988 when, based on his reading of the pseudoscientific Leuchter report, he began to espouse Holocaust denial.

Irving's reputation as a historian was discredited when, in the course of an unsuccessful libel case he filed against the American historian Deborah Lipstadt and Penguin Books, he was shown to have deliberately misrepresented historical evidence in order to promote Holocaust denial. The English court found that Irving was an active Holocaust denier, antisemite, and racist, who "for his own ideological reasons persistently and deliberately misrepresented and manipulated historical evidence". In addition, the court found that Irving's books had distorted the history of Adolf Hitler's role in the Holocaust in order to depict Hitler in a favourable light.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Irving]Wikipedia

Dammit, why is it so hard to embed links in this damn new VT? 

I am aware of that but he still provides an interesting slant on Churchill whose biographies do tend towards the hagiographic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dWxklSFPEA

Alas I didn't have 90 minutes to spare on that Churchill video but I watched some it , I don't think it's any great secret that Churchill  was prepared to use any methods necessary in order to stop Nazism  ..and even communism  ( see operation unthinkable )

the " why won't you come " line is interesting , more so as he claims it is verified in De Gaulle's book  .... I've tried to verify this claim via google etc but so far the only references to that line are on either Irvings pages or David Ickes !! 

it's possible it was true , but with irvings track record it could also be false

• 2 weeks later...

There's quite a good series on the BBC at the mo on the Celts. Not an area of history I know that well, but it has been a good series filling in the detail of the stories you might know from the Romans encounters, like Vercingetorix, with the details of who the Celts actually were. I don't think I'd ever thought of them being so widespread a culture - they ended up in Turkey, surprisingly, meaning they basically spread across the entirety of the continent.

• Like 1

There's quite a good series on the BBC at the mo on the Celts. Not an area of history I know that well, but it has been a good series filling in the detail of the stories you might know from the Romans encounters, like Vercingetorix, with the details of who the Celts actually were. I don't think I'd ever thought of them being so widespread a culture - they ended up in Turkey, surprisingly, meaning they basically spread across the entirety of the continent.

They even made it to America

Larry-Bird-2.jpg

Yes, I've caught a couple of those, not sure how many there are in a series, but I've seen two and thought it was quite good. Bog bodies were fascinating.

I didn't catch the start, but in the back of my mind I had the thought that Celts started out way off in the east slowly moving west. But by east, I think I mean Black Sea / Turkey / Armenia / Russia?? I could be well off with that one.

On a really really petty point though, I get distracted by Neil Oliver's hair.

neil_oliver.jpg 

Seeing as there's been a few documentary recommendations in here recently, I thought I add 1971. Caught it on Netflix last week and it was fascinating.

On March 8, 1971 eight ordinary citizens broke into an FBI office in Media, Pennsylvania, a town just outside Philadelphia, took hundreds of secret files, and shared them with the public. In doing so, they uncovered the FBI’s vast and illegal regime of spying and intimidation of Americans exercising their First Amendment rights. 

On the night of the “Fight of the Century” boxing match between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, the activists, calling themselves the Citizens’ Commission to Investigate the FBI, picked the lock on the door to the small FBI field office. They took every file in the office, loaded them into suitcases, and walked out the front door.

More here

Â