Manchester United

BOF

I think we should just ban transfers. Players should only be allowed to sign for the clubs they supported as a kid, and forced to stay there.  Robbie Keane would have to pick one, or retire.

Southampton are a bunch of tin pot nobodies. They only found their way back up from obscurity because they got bought by a billionaire who thought Hampshire would be a nice place to park his yacht on Saturdays. Such was their financial dominance over their rivals they were able to get promoted with Nigel Adkins as manager.

To try to suggest that any person should not look to further their career out of some misguided sense of loyalty is absolutely bonkers. Loyalty usually only works one way. Since Gabby has been out of form most of our fans would sell him to the highest bidder. Five or six years ago there'd have been outrage if he left.

Shaw did absolutely the right thing, and quite frankly I'm appalled that you think him wanting to make the most of his ability is deserving of a double leg fracture.

I never said he deserved a double leg fracture...

I just said I can't bring myself to feel sorry for him now he plays for Man U.

He doesn't need my sympathy anyway, he is getting plenty from you chaps!

Because he wanted to further his career?

Ah, that old one! Its a classic!

Playing really well with a team that is on the up and performing excellently for 2 seasons; as soon as a 'big club' comes calling, need to jump ship quicksharp...

No mate, don't buy it... If he was still playing in League 1, yeah, I could understand it... but he had already done the hard work getting himself onto the big stage with Lallana and everybody else...

If all of those moneygrabbing turncoats like him, Lovren et al had stayed put, they could have been pulling up trees; you never know...

It's not like he moved to Newcastle, or Spurs, or Villa.  This is Manchester United we're talking about.  AND he was in the starting line up.  You can't compare this to someone who like Victor Moses who moved to Chelsea and never got a game.  He was moving on to the next level.  Champions League and 70,000 home fans.  He'd have been mental not to take that opportunity.

Le Tiss never did...

And Le Tiss never furthered his career.

There's a middle ground between one club hero and moneygrabbing mercenary.

He is a hero to an entire city and widely regarded as one of the most loyal men in football! How is that not a legacy in itself?!?

The very fact that you've had to reach 20 years into history to find an example of a Premier League player who specifically turned down bigger and better opportunities out of loyalty should tell you all you need to know about players not being fans. I mean, what other examples are there? 

Solar eclipses don't happen every year mate... Doesn't mean that they shouldnt just because 'it didn't happen last year'...

What does this even mean? :crylaugh:

(ps Solar eclipses happen at least twice a year. Awkward.)

Do you see them all? Do you travel all over the world looking for total eclipses of the sun? No, I meant visible from the UK... I just assumed you may have read between the lines and seen I was implying that seeing a full solar eclipse wasn't an 'every day thing'.

489223732_640-2.jpg (640×360)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

LVG is a vampire . They'd probably start winning more if they got rid and made Giggs manager...

Didnt he lose 3/4 games in charge last time? Probably wrong but sure he didn't do very well.

Won 2, drew 1 and lost 1. 

Hello Tommy, what's your view on goings on up there? 

• 4 weeks later...

This pretty much sums it up

More pace, Louis? Show us you deserve it…

Date published: Wednesday 25th November 2015 11:54

Wayne Rooney drops deep to pick the ball up in the left-back position. He launches a pass 60 yards forward, where Marouane Fellaini waits. Fellaini miscontrols the ball with his chest, sending it five yards away. In attempting to redress his mistake, Fellaini fouls his opponent. Groans ring around Old Trafford.

Sometimes simply describing a piece of action is the best way of reflecting the mood. Manchester United, held 0-0 by PSV Eindhoven at home, must go to Wolfsburg in a fortnight’s time and win. Failing to do so will surely see them eliminated from the Champions League. On this evidence, United should prepare for Thursday night football.

It’s impossible not to make the comparison. In a group of similar difficulty to 2013/14, Louis van Gaal is in danger of being knocked out of the Champions League two stages earlier than David Moyes. Premier League progress – in terms of results at least – is being offset by European underperformance.

To put things into perspective, PSV are third in the Dutch Eredivisie, drawing with Willem II at the weekend. They have also failed to win a Champions League away game for eight years. That run continues, but Phillip Cocu’s side offered just as much threat as Van Gaal’s.

For vast swathes of this season, United’s players have waited for, not forced, the breakthrough. They have scored 13 first-half goals in 21 matches, and only six of the Champions League’s 31 other clubs have scored fewer goals. Van Gaal has avoided criticism for his style simply because United have, eventually, won many of their games. It’s hard to condemn in victory, but it’s a thin red line. This time waiting did not bring unjust reward. 

United at least offered a threat during the first half, six shots on target their highest total of the season. Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard were both guilty of wasting opportunities, and Martial’s drought now equates to one goal in his last 11 matches. It is a reminder not to expect too much, too soon.

Not that Van Gaal’s reliance on inexperience shows any sign of letting up. With Juan Mata dropped, Rooney again ineffective and Memphis Depay moved back to the left wing, it was down to Lingard to be United’s most notable threat on just his seventh start for the club. He covered more ground than any other player on the pitch, at least attempting to create a spark among the damp wood.

Depay was brought off after 59 minutes, struggling to impact on the game as much as he – and Van Gaal – would like. After Saturday’s victory over Watford, the manager said he believed central striker to be Depay’s best role. Only in Van Gaal’s world does that herald an instant change of position.

If the crowd expected a response after half-time, they were sadly mistaken. PSV registered more shots and shots on target than their hosts as United looked sluggish, fatigued even. If that’s not a good look in November, nor is Rooney being moved into defensive midfield when his team most need a goal. United’s captain again failed to have a shot on target. It’s 12 in 15 Premier League and Champions League group games this season. He is still to start a Premier League or Champions League match on the bench under Van Gaal.

Van Gaal has repeatedly bemoaned the lack of “speed and creativity” in his team over the last three months. Yet pace comes not simply through the attributes of individuals, but the mentality of the team as a whole. Depay, Martial, Lingard and Ashley Young should provide plenty enough of both oft-mentioned characteristics, yet impetus is slowed down by Van Gaal’s mantra of possession uber alles. United have the constant look of a team 1-0 up. At times it’s like watching on half-speed mode.

“In the second half, despite my changes, it did not improve,” was Van Gaal’s post-match assessment. ‘Despite’ is the word that will stick in the throat of United supporters. When Fellaini plays for half an hour and Mata six minutes, pleas for patience are as insulting as those demands for more “speed and creativity”.

If Van Gaal’s words are becoming a broken record, so too is United’s sluggish style. Demands for more pace in his squad will fall on deaf ears until the manager proves that he knows how best to utilise it.

http://www.football365.com/news/more-pace-louis-show-us-you-deserve-it

Wayne Rooney drops deep to pick the ball up in the left-back position

[/quote]

thats not a LVG thing, he's been doing that for utd and england for as long as i can remember, that is one of the main reason for me personally he'll never be properly world class or englands greatese ever

Rooney has always played that way, he gets bored playing up top on his own and wants get involved in the play. Wouldnt question his commitment as he was one of better players last night but Fergie should have told him 5-10 years ago to stick to his position as it damages the team

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Rooney has always played that way, he gets bored playing up top on his own and wants get involved in the play. Wouldnt question his commitment as he was one of better players last night but Fergie should have told him 5-10 years ago to stick to his position as it damages the team

To be fair to Fergie, I think he recognised that and never really played him up front on his own, Rooney always had a partner that did the more typical striker stuff under Fergie, he had partnerships with van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo + Tevez, Berbatov and van Persie, it's only since Fergie left has he been used more as a solo striker. When there is another player upfront Rooney's style doesn't damage the team at all, but he simply isn't disciplined enough to play there on his own.

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

thats not a LVG thing, he's been doing that for utd and england for as long as i can remember, that is one of the main reason for me personally he'll never be properly world class or englands greatese ever

Isn't it something you mostly see Rooney doing when he is not getting any joy upfront though? I've never understood those slow floated passes. A switch of play can be very effective on occasion, but not like how Rooney does it. United needed a bit of tempo, with quick passing and movement to unlock PSV, but 60 yard floated passes that takes more than 5 seconds to land is only going allow PSV to get in position and catch their breath.

8 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

To be fair to Fergie, I think he recognised that and never really played him up front on his own, Rooney always had a partner that did the more typical striker stuff under Fergie, he had partnerships with van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo + Tevez, Berbatov and van Persie, it's only since Fergie left has he been used more as a solo striker. When there is another player upfront Rooney's style doesn't damage the team at all, but he simply isn't disciplined enough to play there on his own.

His best season ever was when he was playing as a lone striker in 09/10 under Fergie. 

Â