Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I don't get why people are so anti-cycling.

The huge difference between the 2 forms of transport (aside from one costing money and making you fat and the other saving you money and running on fat) is that the life of the cyclist is in the hands of the person operating a 2 ton steel box 3 feet away from them.

I'm not really anti cycling, it's just that there are no teachers posting at the moment.

Your second point is what really really annoys and scares me. It's early December, it's dark at 6:00pm and it's raining. If a cyclist guesses wrong about me seeing him undertake me at a left turn then he is injured and apparently, as you've stated above, it's automatically my fault unless I can somehow prove otherwise.

But yeah, I'm not really anti-bike. I'm just very anti bike-militant.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm not really anti cycling, it's just that there are no teachers posting at the moment.

Your second point is what really really annoys and scares me. It's early December, it's dark at 6:00pm and it's raining. If a cyclist guesses wrong about me seeing him undertake me at a left turn then he is injured and apparently, as you've stated above, it's automatically my fault unless I can somehow prove otherwise.

But yeah, I'm not really anti-bike. I'm just very anti bike-militant.

:)

I understand what you're saying. But if a cyclist undertakes a car when they're not absolutely sure it's safe then it's their fault. It doesn't help you or your conscience depending on the severity, I get that, but I stopped riding to and from work when it was obvious I'd be riding either on dark country lanes where a car could come around a corner and plough into me at 70mph without even seeing me, or riding on a major busy A road at rush hour in the dark, causing tailbacks or forcing unsafe passes.

I also hate all of the militancy stuff, but only where it's misplaced. There's some incredible dickheads out there operating cars and bikes, but a bike is hardly likely to endanger the occupants of a car.

• Like 1

it absolutely is their fault, yes

however, the picture is vegetarian in lycra, sat on his arse in the road with a bent bike and a middle aged guy with a Mercedes estate stood over him

but yes, dickheads use all forms of transport and dickheads need to be controlled, by traffic calming, traffic separation etc..

I don't get why people are so anti-cycling. There's no difference between someone not driving very well and someone not cycling very well. Some people are just shit at operating their vehicle on the roads, whether they're in a car, van, truck, motorbike, or bike.

The roads are multi use. They're not specifically for cars and not specifically for bikes. They're for multiple types vehicles who all have equal rights. If a bike holds someone up in a car, that's just how the roads work. You can overtake a slower moving vehicle when it's safe to do so, it's nobody's right to expect to get to a destination in a certain time.

The huge difference between the 2 forms of transport (aside from one costing money and making you fat and the other saving you money and running on fat) is that the life of the cyclist is in the hands of the person operating a 2 ton steel box 3 feet away from them. It's another human being's life. Why the disregard?

Running is a great way to get fit, cycling is a great way to get fit, getting fit stops you dying early of many nasty things. There's nowhere else to ride but the roads, and the fossil fuel party is almost over, so bike use is only going to get greater. Quite surprised at runner Mooney and normally spot-on chrisp with their attitudes tbh.

I didn't say I disapproved of cycling. It's fine if you enjoy it, and are willing to take the risks on the road.

I just don't enjoy it at all myself - it scares me, and like I said, I can't be bothered with the inconveniences - bike storage and maintenance, punctures, discomfort in bad weather, etc.

When I was working I used to run the seven hilly miles to work once a week. Much simpler and less stressful.

1 hour ago, Mozzavfc said:

People already wearing t-shirt with the new star wars title on it

What happens if it's rubbish?! You'd look a right idiot 

I don't think you need the film to be rubbish to look a right idiot if you're a grown man wearing a star wars t shirt.

• Like 3

Cyclists undertaking at lights or in slow traffic is probably the most annoying thing that I see them do on a regular basis.

But to even things out, drivers who stick their hazard lights on and think that it entitles them to park wherever the **** they like. Sometimes in the middle of the **** road! words removed.

• Like 1

The damage a bike going a "normal" speed into a pedestrian is not equal to a car going "normal" speed into a cyclist.

There should be speed limits on pavements for cyclists, or cyclist lanes painted onto pavements where applicable.

I think the same as Wainy, no bikes should be on the road, unless there is a clearly defined lane.

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Considering the roads are only big enough for 2 cars, one going each direction, in the absence of a cycle path I actually think it's safer for cyclists to be on pavements.

The roads (thinking of an average urban road) are wide enough for 10 bikes, 5 going in each direction. I actually think it would be safer for cars to stick to motorways.

We were here first :)

6 minutes ago, darrenm said:

The roads (thinking of an average urban road) are wide enough for 10 bikes, 5 going in each direction. I actually think it would be safer for cars to stick to motorways.

We were here first :)

first chain driven manual operated bike: circa 1885

first independently propelled engined vehicle: Cugnot's steam tractor, 1769

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

first chain driven manual operated bike: circa 1885

first independently propelled engined vehicle: Cugnot's steam tractor, 1769

I'm sure cavemen used to have stone bikes with square wheels. I saw it on the TV one time.

Â