Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I would be amazed if there were more than 1 or 2 % of tradesmen in the UK that declare ALL of their earnings to HMRC. 

Probably but it's absolutely pittance to what the corporations manage to keep from the tax man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, limpid said:

It's a crime to fail to report a crime. So the only question is does their fraud constitute a crime? If it's usual behaviour then I'd suggest that it does. If it's occasional, it probably doesn't.

True but how many Bankers are in prison compared to the people mentioned ? Crime is crime but I suspect the richer you are then the less chance you have of a) been investigated b ) Going to prison.  It should be completely the other way around with the punishments a lot harsher.  If you don't tell the HMRC about 15 k a year and then compare it to bankers who knowingly risked the pensions or investments of millons of people then yes,  a crime is a crime as you say but ask a million people who from the 2 examples should be shot at dawn and I think I know the answer. 

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I don't understand these posts. They are examples of people stealing from YOU and yet you seem to accept it.

I think 'accept' is the wrong term. I have a friend that works at the tax, I have a friend that is a dry liner. DL guy is clearly taking the system for a ride. Tax friend is too.

They have too much work to get through at the tax office, so they are offered weekend over time. But they can't be paid over time. So they are given time and a half off in lieu. So my mate works a Saturday, which means that month there is a week where he doesn't have to turn up until Tuesday afternoon. So guess what, they ask him to work over time. It's like a strange mix of the films Ground Hog Day and Brazil.

Dry Liner mate has tried to get work via me, but the system I work in is full on admin and cost consultant lead, with forms and procedures that mean you have to prove you have insurance and vat and everything before you get a sniff of payment. He doesn't get his cash work via me. I'm very lucky not to be anywhere near the sort of building site that will pay cash. If they are paying cash then they aren't doing all the paperwork, checking CS cards etc.. If that's the case, good luck with your insurance when it goes wrong.

Should I report my one mate to my other mate? That would feel a bit shabby for some reason. Not absolutely clear why. Mates I guess, but then I've never 'snitched' on anyone and the real reason is probably right there, the connotation of 'snitch', 'grass'. 

I didn't report him when he had a back garden full of herbs either, come to think of it.

I understand what you're saying there. I don't necessarily agree that if cost of living was lower people would be more honest though.

The point I was making however was that these examples of people I know are the "Britain First", close the borders, all foreigners are bad for the UK types yet they are effectively stealing from UK PLC by not declaring the vast majority of their earnings (and paying the applicable tax).

The one I know (in law family member unfortunately) has taken it a step further by his tax credit application. He's short changing the public purse by £5-£10k a year and also wants some benefits to top up earnings because he's only declaring minimum wage. 

The post is more about the contradiction of some people being proud Britons and foreigners are bad / benefits 'scroungers are ruining the country... but are happy to cheat the system themselves. 

Bloody foreigners, coming over here, stealing our crimes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, limpid said:

It's a crime to fail to report a crime. So the only question is does their fraud constitute a crime? If it's usual behaviour then I'd suggest that it does. If it's occasional, it probably doesn't.

image.jpg

• Like 3

Loosely related, why are private lawyers allowed to be a thing? Where is the justice in if you can afford to hire someone with the gift of the gab you're more likely to get off with something? The facts of the case are still the facts no matter how some highly paid lawyer is able to twist it.

I've pondered that too Wainy.  I suppose what you're paying for is not so much someone's ability to spin or twist, because as you say the facts don't change.  What you're paying for is the person skilled at finding precedents where other people in your position got off.  Or poking holes in the 'facts' being laid out by the other side.  Facts are only facts after they are established.  Up until that point it can often be little more than your word against mine.  You're also paying for the person who won't miss salient points in your own defence that could help.  As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

True but how many Bankers are in prison compared to the people mentioned ? Crime is crime but I suspect the richer you are then the less chance you have of a) been investigated b ) Going to prison.  It should be completely the other way around with the punishments a lot harsher.  If you don't tell the HMRC about 15 k a year and then compare it to bankers who knowingly risked the pensions or investments of millons of people then yes,  a crime is a crime as you say but ask a million people who from the 2 examples should be shot at dawn and I think I know the answer. 

What you describe is a civil offence, not a crime.

2 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I thought fraud was criminal ? My mistake.

Fraud is usually civil. It has to be significant either in terms of scale or regularity to be criminal.

So Apple are removing the 3.5mm socket from their next phones, forcing you to either buy new headphones or spend what will most likely be £30-50 on an adapter to use your old headphones? Apple are so anti-consumer, and this pisses me off. Even though it shouldn't because I've never bought their stuff and never will! The fact people completely lap it up is so annoying. I despise them as a business.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So Apple are removing the 3.5mm socket from their next phones, forcing you to either buy new headphones or spend what will most likely be £30-50 on an adapter to use your old headphones? Apple are so anti-consumer, and this pisses me off. Even though it shouldn't because I've never bought their stuff and never will! The fact people completely lap it up is so annoying. I despise them as a business.

With the increase in popularity of Bluetooth headphones and speakers combined with problems as a result of crap getting in the socket it's not really a surprise though.

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

What pisses me off is that despite Apple continuously being so anti-consumer they've still got so many consumers.  Is there a corporate equivalent to Stockholm Syndrome?

523552_10152136299465393_1487968607_n1.j

4 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

is the answer  .. poor people  ... it's win win , we provide work for undertakers and also reduce the benefit bill drastically

Considering the majority of the Dre Beats range use a 3.5mm jack, and Apple own them, it would seem a bit silly of them to remove that compatibility with their own devices, even if they can charge for an adapter.

Â