Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I do think now he's available Moyes will pop up there at some point this season. How much damage will have been done before that moment is anyone's guess.

Their run to mid January is very tough, got Liverpool and Man. United at home and Arsenal and Spurs away amongst others. And us.

Not so tough then

Even if they beat us twice they still probably need another 20 points from the other games.

I would love to relegate them again even if it's a taking you to hell with us kind of way as we'll probably be down when we play them at VP in May. Probably one of the few potential highlights left of this season.

same reason people thought Villa made good signings. Mitrovic, Wijnaldum and Thauvin are great on Football Manager but not up to much in real life

PLus Coloccini along with O'Shea and Clark are possibly the worst centre defenders in the league

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Even if they beat us twice they still probably need another 20 points from the other games.

I would love to relegate them again even if it's a taking you to hell with us kind of way as we'll probably be down when we play them at VP in May. Probably one of the few potential highlights left of this season.

But a massive low point if they are safe. The geordies will be really rubbing it at VP if they are for obvious reasons. They would probably be favourites to come straight back up the next season aswell which makes things tougher for us.

50 minutes ago, Arj Guy said:

But a massive low point if they are safe. The geordies will be really rubbing it at VP if they are for obvious reasons. They would probably be favourites to come straight back up the next season aswell which makes things tougher for us.

It's actually bad for us if they go down. If Bournemouth and Norwich go down, we'll still be by far the biggest club in the division. If Newcastle go down, then we're pretty much equal and that advantage is massively reduced. 

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's actually bad for us if they go down. If Bournemouth and Norwich go down, we'll still be by far the biggest club in the division. If Newcastle go down, then we're pretty much equal and that advantage is massively reduced. 

Yh I agree. Its a no win situation really 

Depends who Newcastle sell and sign down there aswell. Like us they'd need to sell half their team back to France.

I actually thought they'd really struggle when they went down in 2009 as I thought it would hurt them financially but they actually kept a lot of their high earning players...people like Coloccini, Jose Enrique, Nolan, Barton all stayed.

That with the emergance of Andy Carroll meant him and Nolan just battered teams week after week.

On 28 November 2015 at 23:52:16, Zatman said:

same reason people thought Villa made good signings. Mitrovic, Wijnaldum and Thauvin are great on Football Manager but not up to much in real life

PLus Coloccini along with O'Shea and Clark are possibly the worst centre defenders in the league

Wijnaldum will be at a premier club next season with or without Newcastle

Those players are good players in real life they just probably aren't suited to being introduced on mass to a struggling side.

They need to be signed in ones and twos and introduced slowly to an already strong group of players.

The likes of Mitrovic, Wijnaldum, Thauvin and our recent imports would look much better in teams like Everton, Swansea, Southampton and West Ham for example.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Those players are good players in real life they just probably aren't suited to being introduced on mass to a struggling side.

They need to be signed in ones and twos and introduced slowly to an already strong group of players.

The likes of Mitrovic, Wijnaldum, Thauvin and our recent imports would look much better in teams like Everton, Swansea, Southampton and West Ham for example.

The same would apply to a lot of our players too tbh. 

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The same would apply to a lot of our players too tbh. 

So a lot of our players would look good in other teams?

Why don't they all just look good in our team?

Why didn't those other better teams sign them?

Oh yeah, because they're shite.

9 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

So a lot of our players would look good in other teams?

Why don't they all just look good in our team?

Why didn't those other better teams sign them?

Oh yeah, because they're shite.

That is horrible reasoning. There are many reasons why they don't look good in our team (one of them being they were coached by a fraud of a manager for 90% of it), but if it makes you feel better to just simplify things and conclude they're shit then by all means.

Put it this way, if we brought back Albrighton who is ripping it up right now and dropped him in this team he will look just as bad. Just like he did before he left incidentally.

Imo, you can't just point the finger at a fraud of a manager as you call it. Right now the guy in charge isn't doing any better nor did the guy before him by much of a margin.

The players you are alluding too have never in their while careers shown that they can perform at the highest level so you have nothing to go on other than sheer hope that the reason they look so shit is because a multiple of managers can't get them performing to any form of reasonable level.

Whereas the likelihood is, is that they're just not good enough.

9 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Imo, you can't just point the finger at a fraud of a manager as you call it. Right now the guy in charge isn't doing any better nor did the guy before him by much of a margin.

The players you are alluding too have never in their while careers shown that they can perform at the highest level so you have nothing to go on other than sheer hope that the reason they look so shit is because a multiple of managers can't get them performing to any form of reasonable level.

Whereas the likelihood is, is that they're just not good enough.

1.) I didn't 'just' point the finger at Sherwood. I explicitly said that he is one of the (many) factors behind why they're doing as bad as they are. 

2.) The guy in charge right now is only 3 games into picking up the pieces of Sherwood and the shambles that is AVFC, so that is a moot point.

3.) I haven't once implied that they have or are capable of playing at the highest level. The original assertion was that they would perform better at teams like West Ham or Swansea.

Do you disagree that if we took a Jordan Ayew or Carles Gil or Idrissa Gana for example and dropped them in say the Leicester City squad that they wouldn't perform better? Marc Albrighton is proof that this can easily happen. If he were still in this squad I'd bet a hefty sum that you would hastily conclude that he just isn't good enough. Conversely if you put a Leonardo Ulloa or or N'golo Kante or even Riyad Mahrez in our squad instead, they (and we) would probably perform just the same. Simply saying "they're not good enough" when their attributes if not performances suggest otherwise is extremely reductive.

Edited by Keyblade

On point 2, further to that is that the players are doing better under Garde. We haven't got the points to show for it, But I've seen more in the City and Watford games than I've seen all season. Granted Everton was dreadful, hopefully he can learn from that.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Am I the only one amazed they don't seem to be linked or interested in actually buying any defenders?

Yes they have a greater goalscoring threat now but surely that will just mean more 2-2s and 3-3s.

Most times this season Newcastle have been woeful against pace and players running at them e.g. Swansea 2-0 when Montero ripped Janmaat apart, Newcastle 0-3 Leicester and then 5-1 at Palace. Even lately Man. United scored 3 past them and last week Ighalo comfortably outpaced their back 4.

I actually think our regular starting premier league defensive unit is better than what we have e.g. anything that dosen't have Clark or Richards in it. It's the rest of our side that is poor in comparison.

Edit: The Newcastle fans actually think similar. They'll still be in serious trouble if Paul Dummett remains their starting LB or they lose Coloccini to injury.

http://www.nufc-forum.com/nufcforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2em8aje2trk0jv61n015bbmo46&topic=58058.0

Edited by VillaChris

Â