Christian Benteke

Kwan

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I thought Klopp was guaranteed success? A genius? Best in the world?

This is why I reserve judgment on Pep too. Being successful with cheat mode enabled is no real indicator of your ability.

Klopp had cheat mode on? Do elaborate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

They should have gone for Allardyce or Pulis instead.

I don't think Allardyce would have done any worse.

They're in a much better position than Villa to pick managers.

Benteke should be playing every match for them. With Courinho and Firminho they have players who can create for him. Milner and Lucas are a quality CM to build around.

They should be doing better than what they are.

25 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

His record at Dortmund is exceptional.

I agree on Pep though.

I agree what he achieved there was exceptional, though I also believe that there are degrees of exceptional and I have often wondered how much of his achievements can be related to the scouting network that is, arguably, one of the greatest ever seen. Hes a good character, clearly a very good coach and I'm confident that given time and support he will have a modicum of success with Liverpool. But there is a reason he is there and not at United or Chelsea next season, because they rightfully still have questions.

Pep is a different case altogether. I agree on the "cheat mode" thing to, but what he did achieve at Barcelona was nothing short of mind blowing. Again, there are questions, but he has shown that he can do it, consistently, at the very top level. I don't think that giving any old manager a bucket load of money and saying "win me European cups" is as easy for said manager as people think. That's a whole other skill set, one which Pep has shown he can handle. Which is why he's at Manchester City. 

I think they will both struggle with the Premier League initially by the way. It is very unique. I think within a couple of seasons City will win the league at a canter and get to a Champions League final, Liverpool will win the FA Cup and finish 4th and in this NWO that will be seen as an "exceptional" achievement for both. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Did Pep build either if those world class sides though.

I think he'll do well at City because he's starting with the best squad and will have a blank cheque. 

Did Klopp? It has never been made entirely clear who instigated and built the "Dortmund Model". 

I can't see why not - he didn't play his face when it came to leaving (let's face it, his move away was completely overshadowed by the Fibian Delph shenanigans) and we got a very good price for him.

Benteke gave us some excellent moments within seasons of dour play and poor results.

Just hope the big man doesn't score today.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I thought Klopp was guaranteed success? A genius? Best in the world?

This is why I reserve judgment on Pep too. Being successful with cheat mode enabled is no real indicator of your ability.

Premier League has swallowed up a lot of high profile managers from abroad before. Scolari, Villas Boas, Santini, Mancini, Ramos, Van Gaal even Benitez wouldnt go down as qualified success in the league

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Premier League has swallowed up a lot of high profile managers from abroad before. Scolari, Villas Boas, Santini, Mancini, Ramos, Van Gaal even Benitez wouldnt go down as qualified success in the league

Dunno man... I think Benitez has won enough honours as the manager of two different Premier League clubs to be considered a success in the league...

5 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Dunno man... I think Benitez has won enough honours as the manager of two different Premier League clubs to be considered a success in the league...

Benitez had most of his success at them clubs came in Europe though

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think Benitez was a success in English football overall.

Liverpool were so much closer to the top in those days, they could have won the league with a different manager. 

he had a team of Reina, Arbeloa, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Kuyt and Gerrard and should have done a lot better than what they achieved

The premier league was a lot stronger back then really.

Liverpool should've won the league in 08/09 with the best midfield in Mascherano-Alonso-Gerrard and most inform striker in europe in Torres but they were up against a Man. United of VDS, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez etc.

Chelsea weren't a factor in the title race but they still had great champions like Cech, Drogba, Ballack, Essien as regulars.

This was all reflected in the european results back then, 3 english teams in champions league semi finals.

The premier league is nowhere near as strong with quality of players imo but it does make it a lot more interesting regarding title races.

• Like 3

Great reception. Not sure he would have got that had it been 0-0 at the time, but great all the same. Not bothered that he didn't seem to acknowledge it, better for him that he didn't considering the shambles he has been this season.

That's it now though for me. Good luck and god bless Christian. 

Â