Jores Okore

Jesperchr

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

ridiculous if he wants to stay and the club won't offer him a new deal to save money. He could be the difference from promotion and finishing mid table

You are of course, absolutely right.

Fans will gradually realise the Club couldn't care less about the League table, they are only interested in not spending money.

He's not the only player who will be thinking about getting out, most of them will be checking their options so it's no biggy.

He's one of our "better" players but that's not saying much as there's a reason we have been bottom since October, we have the worst squad I've ever seen since I stepped into VP in the late 60's.

In the odd moments I can be bothered to consider who would be worth keeping Okore is 50/50 for me, his knee is a major concern. 

I would wait as long as possible before attempting to offer him a new contract because of the knee injury as it still appears to be a problem for him to manage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DK82 said:

His comments make it easier for the club to get rid of him. Baker will be back as his replacement. Perfect scenario for the owner and his puppets.

cant wait for 2016/17 Baker and Clark reunion

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think they are poorly timed words on the eve of what has probably become the biggest game of the season. I expected better from him to be honest. Disappointing.

he was asked a question and way I see it the club havent even tried offer him a new deal

• Like 1

I know a very high percentage of footballers are idiots and mercenaries , and Okore seems no different. 

I beleive he owes the club for taking a £4m risk on a youngster from a minnow league and bringing him to the biggest stage in the world, then paying his wages while he is injured for more than half his time here. He has improved and is now decent, but I can think of plenty of instances this season where he was found wanting. I would think however his current deal is quite low due to his circumstances.

Prick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

I know a very high percentage of footballers are idiots and mercenaries , and Okore seems no different. 

I beleive he owes the club for taking a £4m risk on a youngster from a minnow league and bringing him to the biggest stage in the world, then paying his wages while he is injured for more than half his time here. He has improved and is now decent, but I can think of plenty of instances this season where he was found wanting. I would think however his current deal is quite low due to his circumstances.

Prick.

Charming.

• Like 4

We're not really in a position to offer new contracts out as our future in the premier league is looking particularly bleak.

I'd love to see Okore commit to a new contract but at the same time, will he sign one knowing we could be in the Championship next season?

I think the club will wait (no surprise there) to see what our immediate future holds before looking at contract renewals. Hopefully Garde sees Okore as vital to next season whatever our situation may be.

I understand the case here, as the club weren't sure about the fitness of Okore, I think if he wasn't injured at the beginning of the season he was going to be offered a contract.

Garde hasn't even started him until Richards was injured. Clark was in the list before him. Ofcourse it's hard for Garde to start someone who he's yet to have seen this season. Then he realized he's our best CB, and best pair with Lescott.

Our position now wouldn't help. But I'm sure if he was fit he would have been offered a contract at the beginning of the season.

The club managed to give Delph a contract last season (although with a clause) with 6 months until it runs.

They gave Benteke a new one after his first season.

I really think the issue was his injuries and they weren't sure how well would he be when he's back. I wouldn't blame the board too much here.

• Like 2

Personally, I don't blame him if he wanted to leave... What would you do?

Imagine, you work for a company sliding backwards. They are rapidly moving towards failure and in recent times they have shown no interest in investment. The manager has not been able to employ new staff to  replace those who have no interest in working for the company. This is your career and you know you only have a limited time before your career is over - plus, you have not been offered a new contract. You know you have talent and may have potential to work for one of the bigger companies who can offer you a bigger wage and better opportunities. 

Would you stay with the company that hasn't offered you a new contract and is clearly sliding towards failure with lack of financial backing? Or would you look to move on?

Yes - unwise to maybe mention it in public interview but I can't blame the guy for thinking about his future. We all moan about the club and its lack of direction and support for the team. We don't even work for them! Imagine being a player watching this team slide (apparently) inevitably towards relegation and no attempt to sign players to improve the situation....knowing that you are better then what relegation offers. 

Id want to leave if it were my company too!...as much as it pains me to say that. We can't expect players (particularly foreign players) to care about the club long term when they see that the directorship apparently has no interest in saving the club either. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HAL said:

but we always wait with contracts and then lose our best players for peanuts :I

Always, or once? 

The closest we got to losing our best player for "peanuts" previous to this due to shortness of contract was Ashley Young who had a year left at the time. I'm not sure if we offered Mellberg a new contract or not, but I'm fairly certain he wanted to go regardless.

Can't think of another example. 

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why are we so unbelievably shit at offering contracts to players, and protecting our investments? 

It's like we're not even trying. 

From his comments, he will be looking for big money. With his injury record, it is a risk. He is a good player, no more than that.

Â