Sunderland

Richard

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Previous to today, he had denied all four charges in public. I would guess he had done the same to his employer. 

I guess we will never really know. It would be nice if he was asked that question though. I would dock them 6 points for playing him in any case! ;)

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is great news, this could impact them psychologically and he's also one of their best and most productive players!

Not picking on you here, as I guess other people will think the same, but it's just kind of mangled, warped to me, that.

I can't really see an up-side to the whole episode, and I struggle to equate, if thats' the right word, the whole internet grooming/underage child sex thing with football's relegation battles. One matters. One doesn't.

Yes I'm probably being sanctimonious or something, but still..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's admitted one count of sexual activity with a child and one count of grooming over the internet. He denies two further counts of sexual activity with children, and his trial will begin on Friday. 

It is indeed safe to call him a nonce.

He can't plead guilty to everything, he will be in prison before half term (next week) if he does that. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

Not picking on you here, as I guess other people will think the same, but it's just kind of mangled, warped to me, that.

I can't really see an up-side to the whole episode, and I struggle to equate, if thats' the right word, the whole internet grooming/underage child sex thing with football's relegation battles. One matters. One doesn't.

Yes I'm probably being sanctimonious or something, but still..

It's 'great' news insofar as he has pled guilty to this crime, the fact that could affect Sunderland's relegation battle is good from a football 'perspective'. I see no issue with that.

I agree theres no way Sunderland can pick him.  If Ched Evans is not being allowed back into football because of what he did then Johnson shouldn't be allowed to play again after admitting to grooming and sexual activity with a child.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

This is surely a custodial sentence isn't it?

Depends on how the other two charges go. If he's found not guilty of those then he's looking at a year, suspended.

If they come back with a guilty verdict then he won't be going home afterwards.

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If Ched Evans is not being allowed back into football because of what he did then Johnson shouldn't be allowed to play again after admitting to grooming and sexual activity with a child.

Nobody is stopping Ched Evans playing football apart from the clubs who are choosing not to employ him and pay him.

Just now, PaulC said:

If nobody will employ him because of the repercusions  then it amounts to the thing.

No it doesn't. There is nothing stopping any club signing Ched Evans if they want to.

That's quite clearly not the same as clubs being told that they are not allowed to sign Ched Evans, which is what you say should happen to Adam Johnson.

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Surely it be rape when its sexual activity with a minor? How can anyone believe him after changing his plea? 

I'm sure that one of the reports I've read today suggests the sexual activity charge he has pleaded guilty to is regarding a kiss, which I presume he is going to claim was consensual. I suspect that the 2 charges he has pleaded not guilty to are more serious. Though any bloody contact with a minor is serious. 

23 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Depends on how the other two charges go. If he's found not guilty of those then he's looking at a year, suspended.

If they come back with a guilty verdict then he won't be going home afterwards.

But he has admitted to grooming which to my mind is the most serious charge, he was fully aware throughout that she was a minor. 

Indeed the grooming makes the whole thing a lot worse.  The Dragons Den guy was found not guilty for having sex with a 13 year old he met online a couple of weeks ago because he didn't know she was underage.  **** knows what was going through Johnson's head, his girlfriend is stunning.  Dirty bastard.

Â