The Randy Lerner thread

CI

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, exactly. I particularly enjoyed the comment upthread that went 'I'm no accountant, but [comment about accounts]'. There must be something about accountancy, presumably people think it's nothing more than intuition or common sense or something. Imagine someone saying 'I'm no brain surgeon, but surely if you just lop a bit off here. . . '

Im no accountant but i do own a business if you want to be smart.  I know how to get away with paying as little tax as possible and if i set up other companies that worked into it i could get away with paying less because it would look like i was making nothing!  

As an example, Newcaslte utd looked like they were making nonthing until recently.  Ashley had sports direct sponsoring, selling the kits etc etc and was taking that..  So dont tell me there are no tricks, all legal of course!

• Like 2

no matter how much randy put into this club, he could of doubled his spend, we would never of got top 4, we would of just continued to finish top 10, but the two facts, that he hasn't spent enough and spent badly, has completely messed up his plans, did randy ever have a genuine interest in making villa a big club again? it seems he was just looking for the club to be his play thing, like a fashion statement

21 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

In the main its EXACTLY how much you spend. Premiership positions correlate extremely closely to how much you spend on wages

Leicester ?

closely, but not exclusively, we with Ron Saunders

Yes, exactly. I particularly enjoyed the comment upthread that went 'I'm no accountant, but [comment about accounts]'. There must be something about accountancy, presumably people think it's nothing more than intuition or common sense or something. Imagine someone saying 'I'm no brain surgeon, but surely if you just lop a bit off here. . . '

Well I'm not an experienced Gynecologist but ill have a **** good look at it ;)

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 2

Do you have an issue with everyone who isn't a professional player or manager commenting on what happens on the pitch?

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do you have an issue with everyone who isn't a professional player or manager commenting on what happens on the pitch?

Being a football fan gives you a pretty good knowledge of football so you have things to base your opinion on.

HeyAnty appears to have very little grasp of finances, so it's not really a fair comparison.

If an NFL fan came on VillaTalk and started telling us how Villa could win games, then that would be a better analogy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Being a football fan gives you a pretty good knowledge of football so you have things to base your opinion on.

HeyAnty appears to have very little grasp of finances, so it's not really a fair comparison.

If an NFL fan came on VillaTalk and started telling us how Villa could win games, then that would be a better analogy.

I have very little grasp of finaces just because i questioned the accounts released and dont believe we are making a lose for past two years?  Then you personally insult me.  Where has all the vast tv money and sponsorship money gone the past two years?  Dont say wages cause youre wrong.

Also, you guys seem to know more about finances by the sounds of it, so explain to me why Lerner turned his money owed to shares because i yet to believe a plausible explanation!

It's become sort of clear to me that we made a big mistake last summer in trying to buy an entirely new team. It doesn't work like that. If you look at Chelsea's success, they had most of it with a lot of the squad that Ranieri built. The same with Ferguson over the years with the players in his youth squad. Liverpool won the Champions League under Rafa with the team that Houllier built. It seems as if what these successful teams have in common is that they weren't thrown together over a summer, but grown over the course of several seasons. People say that the Beckham/Nevilles/Butt youth team that brought so much success to Utd happened because they were all so talented, but really it had more to do with the fact that they had been playing together for so long. 

Often we look at managers like Wenger and Ferguson and think that it would be great to have the same manager for more than a season or two because stability from that point of view often brings success, but it's actually because they've kept faith with their players over that time, while a new manager would have been more keen to put his stamp on things. Successful managers stick with the old guard when they come into a club. The transfer policy during the summer was to bring in as many good young players as possible, get them playing well together and then sell them off in a couple of years at a huge profit. A bastardized attempt at a Southampton. 

Rather than bringing in 12 players and upsetting the club entirely, we should have spent big on replacing Vlaar, a good chunk on replacing Delph, Cleverley and Benteke, and then someone in at Left back as well. Instead what we have is a big squad, a quarter of whom are speaking French and we're getting relegated. It was FIFA thinking that we could replace the entire team and compete. I'm not sure all the players know each others' first names yet. We'd have a lot of shit players in our first team, but at least they'd know each other. You can't replace an entire squad over a summer. It's just stupid and has never worked before. Look at the promoted teams and the amounts they've spent on their teams compared to ours. What they have that we don't is that their players have been playing together longer than three months.

You know when a new player comes into a club and people say that it'll take a while for them to settle. That's what our entire squad is attempting to do.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Your mocking of heyanty was based on he wasn't an accountant. 

Exactly, i didnt say i couldnt read accounts, just said i wasnt an accountant.  Anyway, people are probably getting sick of this so ill stop here. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Nope he has no English team.

I don't understand how this happened either.....

I think you may still have some grounds for hope. We are much easier to get to after all although we need to start playing half decent football for your son and for other youngsters to want to go to Villa to see their football live. Good luck on that it was a lot easier to tempt children to the claret & blues in the 90's.  

2 hours ago, YLN said:

You know when a new player comes into a club and people say that it'll take a while for them to settle. That's what our entire squad is attempting to do.

I agree with most of what you said (only quoted a bit to keep it short). When you build a squad you usually build it around specific talented players. Losing Benteke, Delph and Cleverly meant we really didn't have much to build on.

I think we needed a refresh with players to build around (e.g. Amavi, Ayew, Gana, Veretout) and I think preseason and our "easy" opening to the season was our settling period. Risky, sure. We needed to hit the ground running but it was a necessary risk in my opinion.

Sadly, we had a clown in charge so now it's a real struggle with a squad lacking confidence and self-belief.

Â