The Randy Lerner thread

CI

There's a huge difference between putting a lump of money into a successful, global brand and Champions League club as a minotity investor and spending money to fully purchase and develop a run of the mill Premier League club who have no chance of winning the league. 

But then that doesn't fit in with a barbed comment. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

But he has, hasn't he? We've been making a loss up until very recently unless i'm mistaken?

6 mill a year how can we still be making a lose.  Like most of these arguments we will go round in circles.  I would have agreed with you 2 years ago, but given we have been spending 6 mill a year net for years there is no way we should be making a lose for past 2 - 3 years!

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

6 mill a year how can we still be making a lose.  Like most of these arguments we will go round in circles.  I would have agreed with you 2 years ago, but given we have been spending 6 mill a year net for years there is no way we should be making a lose for past 2 - 3 years!

Wage bill I do believe. It's not an opinion, it's all in the accounts, we have been making a loss.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Transfer fees do not account for all of the money in football. In fact, it accounts for very little.

What we spend on transfer fees has little bearing on what we do or don't lose every season.

(that's not a defense or an attack on lerner. Just an observation. WHatever is happening with the finances is a result of his management of the club so it's his own fault either way)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Transfer fees do not account for all of the money in football. In fact, it accounts for very little.

What we spend on transfer fees has little bearing on what we do or don't lose every season.

(that's not a defense or an attack on lerner. Just an observation. WHatever is happening with the finances is a result of his management of the club so it's his own fault either way)

Im no accountant but im sure there are means for them to say what you want.  Look at Mike Ashely and Newcastle

34 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I'm not ignoring it.  In the same case, you cant make it out he spends loads of money, when he has spent nothing for years.  He cant live off his spending nearly 10 years ago for the way he has run the club the past 6.  He shouldnt be getting any sympathy or grace for this. 

See FFP and the premier league version of it. Also look st the accounts which are freely available to view. Proves he has been putting money in. No sympathy towards him or grace just cold facts. We couldn't sustain our losses without him covering them. 

It is a whole seperste debate about Lerner having caused our losses by trusting his managers (badly) and appointing the wrong ones. And I agree with most of the criticism towards him btw. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard said:

I didnt think people were investing in teams anymore

Anyone investing in "City Football Group" are investing in a world portfolio - not "a team".

One would assume Chinese investment means a similar team to "New York City FC" (same colours, design, branding as Man City) may pop up in, ooooh, I dunno.... China?

19 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Randy really missed a trick by not creating say for example a Cleveland villains MLS franchise all those years ago. Things could of been so much different if he had. 

He would've needed far more money than he has, though.

I think his idea was to continue outspending our means until we hit the top 4 and became profitable. Maybe at some point he could recoup these funds, who knows.  FFP came in and absolutely shafted him/us.

Obviously there was financial mis-management too, and it isn't sensible to invest beyond your means in an uncertain manner like this, but he didn't have the funds of the city owners to do it all in one season.

**** FFP.

• Like 2

I think it has already been mentioned.

we are just going round and round in circles.

In the main.........its not how much you spend, but the value of your purchases.

4 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

That we're losing money at this stage given the minimal investment we've had surely shows that our natural unsupported (no outside investment) level is somewhere in the Championship.

35k turning up to watch that shite it shouldn't be 

5 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

If you've got no understanding of the financial side of things then you shouldn't bother debating it. It's like going on Mum's Net and debating childbirth. You wouldn't because you don't have a clue. 

Yes, exactly. I particularly enjoyed the comment upthread that went 'I'm no accountant, but [comment about accounts]'. There must be something about accountancy, presumably people think it's nothing more than intuition or common sense or something. Imagine someone saying 'I'm no brain surgeon, but surely if you just lop a bit off here. . . '

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, exactly. I particularly enjoyed the comment upthread that went 'I'm no accountant, but [comment about accounts]'. There must be something about accountancy, presumably people think it's nothing more than intuition or common sense or something. Imagine someone saying 'I'm no brain surgeon, but surely if you just lop a bit off here. . . '

fair point

....but we try tell them how to run a football club.lol:)

1 hour ago, TRO said:

In the main.........its not how much you spend, but the value of your purchases.

In the main its EXACTLY how much you spend. Premiership positions correlate extremely closely to how much you spend on wages

• Like 2

Â