The Randy Lerner thread

CI

He hasn't been hands on enough, that's my only real criticism.

He let the footballing man, MON, bring in the players he wanted. Unfortunately trusting him was a mistake. He bought in managers, who struggled. He then bought in a footballing man, Tom Fox, to make the managerial appointments. Unfortunately, again, trusting him was a huge mistake. A combination of his 2 managers - Sherwood and Garde, will send us down.

How much is Randolph asking for right now? You've got to think that if we do go down he'll have to drop his asking price significantly. I'm still quite shocked there hasn't been more interest in buying us to be honest. I'd have thought a team with enough support to have 40k bums in seats every other Saturday would be an attractive proposition.

There is a 0.000000001% that im sort of glad we are going to go down and its because of this man.  He has bleed us dry for 6 years and we scrape through every year, playing rubbish and taking fans money who pay to be entertained. He is now reaping what he has sewed.  Least we might win the odd game in the championship.

29 minutes ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

How much is Randolph asking for right now? You've got to think that if we do go down he'll have to drop his asking price significantly. I'm still quite shocked there hasn't been more interest in buying us to be honest. I'd have thought a team with enough support to have 40k bums in seats every other Saturday would be an attractive proposition.

He can ask for only a 1million pound and nobody will buy it. Nobody buys football clubs anymore and we can cry out for a new owner all we like but it aint happening soon

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

He hasn't been hands on enough, that's my only real criticism.

He let the footballing man, MON, bring in the players he wanted. Unfortunately trusting him was a mistake. He bought in managers, who struggled. He then bought in a footballing man, Tom Fox, to make the managerial appointments. Unfortunately, again, trusting him was a huge mistake. A combination of his 2 managers - Sherwood and Garde, will send us down.

Your only real criticism is that he's not hands on enough? Really?

how about the lack of investment over the last 5 years? That's why we're in this mess, it's nothing to do with O'Neill. Jesus, wake up and smell the coffee. 

2 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

Your only real criticism is that he's not hands on enough? Really?

how about the lack of investment over the last 5 years? That's why we're in this mess, it's nothing to do with O'Neill. Jesus, wake up and smell the coffee. 

But Villa were still making a loss, so we had no money to spend?

We're certainly not a club that makes profit. Are you asking him to spend his own personal wealth on the club like he used to? (which originally got us in this mess)

Did it? Surely it was more to do with our massive wage bill that we clearly couldn't afford. That's not just down to lerner spending his own money. 

And in answer to your question, yes I think he should have. Not stupid amounts but we should have set a much more realistic target of when we could become self sufficient and as owner, he should have taken the responsibility of losing more money while that happened in a way that secured our premier league survival. 

• Like 1

Due to being here in the US and at the time MON left I was a little out of touch with events can someone give me a quick cliff notes version of what the heck happened, with regard to the sudden drop in investment from Randolph? I recall General Krulak used to be active on fan sites and Lerner even provided free coaches to a Chelsea league cup away game, I believe. Obviously this level of fan interaction is a thing of the past.

Surely someone had access to a spreadsheet and an income-expenditure column during MONs tenure?

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Did it? Surely it was more to do with our massive wage bill that we clearly couldn't afford. That's not just down to lerner spending his own money. 

And in answer to your question, yes I think he should have. Not stupid amounts but we should have set a much more realistic target of when we could become self sufficient and as owner, he should have taken the responsibility of losing more money while that happened in a way that secured our premier league survival. 

Well yeah you are right the wage bill was a bigger factor than the spending tbf.

Randy obviously has no intention of putting his own money in anymore, which is fair enough (though it's shit for us) As far as i'm aware he isn't taking any money out, so I guess it could be worse. He got us into a right mess, and I can't wait for him to finally sell the club whenever that would be.

I'm surprised there aren't more ant-Lerner chants at VP. Not for him to sell the club, but just songs of hate.

I think the best thing Lerner can do is to find a new brains trust who have real football knowledge. 

It would also be interesting to hear his opinions of our current plight. Maybe the players would care more about their club if the owner did. 

Â