The Randy Lerner thread

CI

It looks increasingly likely that we will need cash in the next transfer window to try to land a player or two to keep us up this season but our current custodian does not have a recent track record of spending a great deal of money net in transfer windows so he might be prepared to risk all to balance the books. 

It seems we need a takeover to change this but the last one fell through as did the one before that. What are the odds of another takeover being rumoured again when season ticket purchase time comes around next season only for that to go the same way as the other 2 did after season tickets have been purchased?

Did we ever find out from the club why this last deal broke down? Am I alone in wondering if there ever was a potential deal in place during last or the previous summer? The truth is out there but it seems the club considers we do not need to know..:unsure:

He may have to spend more than his budget just to get rid of this manager.

Therein lies the biggest problem - if Lerner can see that Sherwood isn't up to the job, does he hope we get lucky or spend two fortunes he was hoping he'd never have to spend again - one to get rid of the manager and another to find the next one?

Do people really believe that this is a 'big club'? Crystal Palace and Swansea are bigger clubs than us nowadays. History is completely meaningless. We've been rubbish for ages and add absolutely nothing of value to the league apart from decent pies. If I could force myself to support a different team I really would, but I can't. I can't see an end to the shambles of a club this place has become.

History is completely meaningless. We've been rubbish for ages and add absolutely nothing of value to the league apart from decent pies. If I could force myself to support a different team I really would, but I can't. I can't see an end to the shambles of a club this place has become.

I don't feel that way, but people tend to focus on the history at Villa when times are rough in the present. You gotta have something to hang on to!

• Like 1

If we we get relegated the media will be saying "how can such a big club drop out the premier league ". We will always be a big club, we are just missing the success of a big club

If Asda was run like a corner shop, that is us and the owner.

It looks increasingly likely that we will need cash in the next transfer window to try to land a player or two to keep us up this season but our current custodian does not have a recent track record of spending a great deal of money net in transfer windows so he might be prepared to risk all to balance the books. 

It seems we need a takeover to change this but the last one fell through as did the one before that. What are the odds of another takeover being rumoured again when season ticket purchase time comes around next season only for that to go the same way as the other 2 did after season tickets have been purchased?

Did we ever find out from the club why this last deal broke down? Am I alone in wondering if there ever was a potential deal in place during last or the previous summer? The truth is out there but it seems the club considers we do not need to know..:unsure:

The season ticket conspiracy always makes me chuckle. Does anyone fall for such a ingenious 'trick'!?

(P.S If so, PM me, I have some magic beans you might be interested to buy).

• Like 1

Do people really believe that this is a 'big club'? Crystal Palace and Swansea are bigger clubs than us nowadays. History is completely meaningless. We've been rubbish for ages and add absolutely nothing of value to the league apart from decent pies. If I could force myself to support a different team I really would, but I can't. I can't see an end to the shambles of a club this place has become.

Spoony sorry but that is crap! History is never meaningless as it is the very essence of any club, the soul if you like. 

Palace, Swansea, or even Southampton etc are NOT bigger clubs than the VILLA- period. They may well be better run internally and on the pitch at the moment however put us in their positions with continuity throughout the club and our attendances would far excel theirs. Our finances would far outweigh them also as would our general pulling power.Our club has a far higher financial ceiling than any of the 3 clubs mentioned regardless of current situation. We are and will be for the foreseeable future much a bigger club. It just needs managing correctly that's all and decent manager would be a good start.

We are not a big club anymore. People need to wake up and accept. 

These are essentially my two conflicting thoughts. Although I get everything you're saying avfc1982am, to me it just isn't relevant. I'm relatively young and so Villa have won nothing in the time I've been supporting them. The same goes for most of my peers. If you weigh in with "Villa are a big club" these days outside of Birmingham and outside of people who were there for the good times, people would just laugh at you. Nottingham Forrest, Leeds United and Newcastle United fans probably think that they're big clubs but I don't see them that way.

I will always love and support Aston Villa but the history means little to the present day. It's nice to look back on but we have been on a downward spiral for some time and we just aren't important anymore. That needs to change and will only change if we get a billionaire backer willing to splash some serious cash (such is football now, hooray).

Edited by Spoony

Randy, for all Villa fans this Christmas, can you please gift us the announcement that you have sold the club due to lowering the asking price to an amount deemed more reasonable to the purchaser. 

A new owner in time for the January transfer window would be fantastic :D

Do you put £200 worth of new tires on that car you want to sell for £500?

I might if I really wanted to sell it to the extent that I would rather come away with £300 for the deal rather than some loose change or have it left on my hands. I have had cars like that! :)

After how many seasons will the season ticket conspiracy begin to look more likely than not Morley-crosses-to-Withe? After two unknown bidders bite the dust for no given reason at the same time in consecutive seasons will it take a third next summer to do the same? Two is already spooky enough for me to wonder..  

One of the bidders was meant to be a Chinese consortium who Howard Hodgson had been advising. But they apparently pulled away from the deal because of the economic troubles in China. That was according HH in a podcast with Jonny Gould. So I think there was interest and from at least one other group from what he said.

Lerner can't do right in some eyes.

Get shut of PL - He did.

Back TS in the transfer market with the money that came in - he did.

Now he gets slated for not showing a ruthless streak by sacking a manager we all sang the name of when we beat Liverpool 2-1 in the semi...

Christ, we are fickle....

Lerner hasn't done much right in the last 6 years.

He has done a woeful job of running the club and deserves all the stick he gets.

As for fickle. It seems to be a common occurrence that people don't actually get the meaning of the word.

People may have sung Sherwood's name at Wembley but they are entitled to change their mind it doesn't make them fickle.

If people sung his name, then call for his head then sing his name, yes maybe then it would be a fair accusation but until then its just another example of the misuse of this word. I will always always hate O'Leary for that one.

• Like 1

Â