The Randy Lerner thread

CI

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I would guess that's when Spurs mugged us off by getting us to pay a full season's worth of wages to Jenas even though he played 2 games for us.

I agree though with MM Daniel Levy himself gets stick but he's forgotten more about how to run a football club than Lerner has ever learnt.

I was thinking about the Kyle Walker deal myself and probably Spurs not wanting to play ball after we had loaned Walker. The Jenas deal happened much after the timing on Mike's comment i think

On 2/11/2016 at 14:10, MikeMcKenna said:

Quite shocked the article from the Sun hits so many nails on head! In relatively few words it succinctly sums up what a disaster Lerner has been in the last 6 years. 

Until three years ago my perception of Lerner was that of a relatively cultured, extremely wealthy but benign absent landlord who had bitten off more than he could chew. Like many I was in some ways sorry for him that everything at Villa had gone tits up. Like others I blamed the managers, the players and the executive but the reality is that he was at the root of everything that went wrong,

My perception of him really changed after a conversation I had with a couple of very long term supporters who I have known for several years. They are very well respected and have been big spenders over the years via Corporate etc at VP. They are definitely not the sort of guys that would bullshit. However until now I have always been reticent about telling their story.

Anyhow on with the story...

I think it was just before Lerner appointed McLeish as manager but can't remember exactly when. The two Villa fans decided to go to a Cleveland Browns game while on holiday in the States, which I think was arranged via Villa corporate hospitality.  Whilst at the Stadium, they were invited up to Lerners private suite. After going through multiple checkpoints and being searched twice they eventually arrived at Lerners suite. A flunky announced their arrival but Lerner was stood looking out at the game, f'ing and blinding about something.

The two guys stood there like lemons, yet Lerner failed to even acknowledge them and didn't turn round for over ten minutes. When he eventually deigned to speak to the couple of lowly peasant Villa fans, he didn't bother actually greeting them as such or even talk specifically about Villa but immediately went into a massive rant about Levy of Spurs. Something had happened between them; Lerner's line was something along the line Who the **** does Levy think his? He is ******* ******  and is going to ****** learn not to ****** mess with him etc etc His rant when on in a similar vein for some while. 

The two Villa fans were flabbergasted at the rant but were never actually told why Lerner was so pissed off with Levy or able to ask any questions. Eventually Lerner calmed down, said he hoped that they enjoyed their vacation in the states and the audience was over. I was subsequently told by someone else that much later Lerner and Levy's paths' crossed at a private airport which resulted in a stand up row. So there was obviously bad blood between them long before Spurs attempt to buy Benteke. I can imagine Levy is a nasty bit of work and many Spurs fans don't like him but he knows more about running a football club in his little finger than Lerner ever will - maybe that is why he was so angry? 

Despite the persona Lerner likes to portray as our concerned and benevolent "Custodian", I think he is totally up himself, paranoid, very weak mentally and a control freak. He was born with a silver spoon is his mouth, has led a charmed life where everything was easy and where he could pass the real work to supposed experts - pity he couldn't even select the right "experts". 

He was never the super charged businessman that the original PR claimed or ever had a clue about how he was going to run our football club. His PR machine worked like a dream when he first arrived but In reality Lerner was a disaster waiting to happen.

The sooner the clearing in the woods goes the sooner AVFC will be on the road back! 

Very Interesting Mike.....Its hard to formulate a bonafide opinion on folk unless you get close to them....and this clearly was.

21 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Paul Faulkner ....What I will blame him for though is befriending the enemy, an allowing McLeish to become manager of our club.

Faulkner would say it wasn't his choice, and he couldn't stop it.

Yes, I know "he would say that wouldn't he". But still...

• Like 1

mcleish...still one of the maddest things to happen in english football history IMO but because we've become so irrelevant it was simply written off as us being fickle again

can you seriously imagine what would happen if martinez got everton relegated by playing some horrific negative shite football and then appointed liverpool manager?

still maintain that that bloke and lerner got away with murder and that the apathy that has pretty much strangled the life out of this club was a result of his appointment, it was the day that it wasnt even worth being angry anymore because the bloke at the top wasnt listening

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

mcleish...still one of the maddest things to happen in english football history IMO but because we've become so irrelevant it was simply written off as us being fickle again

can you seriously imagine what would happen if martinez got everton relegated by playing some horrific negative shite football and then appointed liverpool manager?

still maintain that that bloke and lerner got away with murder

The cynic, tin foil hat wearing person would say that this was all part of the plan.

Appoint the worst choice possible, then when he's gone hire someone who sees it as a big step up and will not complain when he's given little or no funds.

Even thou things remain dismal and possible even get worse, enough fans remain somewhat content, because you know, at least it's not McLeish...

Now this is of course less than likely as Lerner doesn't know enough about football or Villa to figure this plan out, and that both McLeish and Lambert had very high salaries 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

still maintain that that bloke and lerner got away with murder and that the apathy that has pretty much strangled the life out of this club was a result of his appointment, it was the day that it wasnt even worth being angry anymore because the bloke at the top wasnt listening

I would say its more like Man City taking Louis van Gaal from Man united end of the season, after him not even getting Europa league.

McLiesh was an insane appointment. I don't think one Villa fan understood why the board would do this. Although he had to be the only manager they could get who accepted the terms.

The thing that made the McLeish appointment crazy for me was it came after failing to get Martinez.

When your shortlist contains 2 people that are the polar opposite, it shows that you have no real vision for progression, or indeed any idea of how to achieve it. 

On 12 February 2016 at 17:28, VillaChris said:

I would guess that's when Spurs mugged us off by getting us to pay a full season's worth of wages to Jenas even though he played 2 games for us.

I agree though with MM Daniel Levy himself gets stick but he's forgotten more about how to run a football club than Lerner has ever learnt.

Was Levy not a director in the club that was once the old rangers?

3 hours ago, av1 said:

The thing that made the McLeish appointment crazy for me was it came after failing to get Martinez.

When your shortlist contains 2 people that are the polar opposite, it shows that you have no real vision for progression, or indeed any idea of how to achieve it. 

Quique Sánchez Flores (Watford) asked if he could have interview as really wanted the job back  then (As had just left Atletico) but Faulkner told him no.

Pity as he would have built a good team if we got him then and not McRelegator

Edited by Villan4Life

10 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Quique Sánchez Flores (Watford) asked if he could have interview as really wanted the job back  then (As had just left Atletico) but Faulkner told him no.

Pity as he would have built a good team if we got him then and not McRelegator

Didn't know that. But a quick search suggests you're right.

The McLeish appointment seems even more insane now, cheers Paul.

If there's ever a book published that covers Lerner's time here, particularly MON's final season onwards, it would make for a laughably macabre read. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

im sure the media would say its not his fault and now he gets the manage the greatest club in the world and he is awesome now

I can well imagine that RL's status as a Billionaire has allowed him to be so up his own a**e that he simply doesn't listen to people who have any knowledge.

His easy way out is to surround himself with people who will just say yes to whatever he says then get pissed off when it all goes wrong.

• Like 1

The tragedy is.....it's got no better since McLeish left and based on this season, it's got worse.

There is just a poor decision making machine well and truly in place.....until that goes, we are stuffed.

On the basis that our progress/regress is a dynamic movement, I'm not sure what direction we are heading in.

• Like 1

One of my friends is from Grimsby, but he's a ManU fan, (glory hunter) he's also a Golf pro. He's told me many a story of how some of his customers, who make it well known to everyone how well off they are, go to him for lessons yet end up telling him what they're doing wrong, but still wont listen to what he tries to teach them, even though its exactly what he went to university for, to learn to teach people how to play better golf.

Billionaire Syndrome = I'm better than you and I've got the money to prove it.

I've really had to divorce myself from this situation. 

At one point it was making me so angry that I was wishing nothing but death to this man. But then I realised, it just isn't worth it, this is a hobby, it's really a voluntary thing to support a football club, so why let it work me up so much? 

I really just do not care what happens for the reminder of this season. 

• Like 2

Â