The Randy Lerner thread

CI

2 hours ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

A - that was Phil McNulty, a notorious bellend

B - they're actually quite large

Completely OT - would you rather the UK media landscape was more like that of the USA? Or Russia perhaps? The BBC are under serious threat from the Tories and as the old adage goes, you don't know what you got til it's gone.

Which is incidentally how I feel about Lerner.... spoof.

A - I didn't say it was Pat Murphy - he is a total shit stirrer though. There was a few who made the "dark ages comment" or made references to it - that are employed by the BBC. There has been plenty of little digs at us on their match reports - one included a tweet from Karen Brady ridiculing fans who are getting behind their team. What does that have to do with the football on the pitch?

B - They have a small time mentality when they report on our club. All I expect is fair reporting to be given to us, like any other team. From what I can see - all the BBC are doing is kicking us while we are down, it is what bullies and cowards behave like. Totally unacceptable, which is why I stand by my previous comments (above). 

They need to change their culture and start improving their journalism, I expect a lot better from them.

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Off topic really, but the BBC are doing more than kicking just Villa when they are down. They are kicking Birmingham and the Midlands as a whole. They have removed virtually all presence in Birmingham and are persistently promoting Manchester and their huge investment in Salford Quays. The lack of any major BBC presence in the second biggest city is a disgrace IMO. The people of Birmingham are simply not getting anywhere near the benefit they should be getting from the licence fee (because it is basically all being invested in London, Manchester and Cardiff).

'They . . . are . . . promoting . . . their huge investment in Salford Quays.'

This surprises you? Of course they are. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

'They . . . are . . . promoting . . . their huge investment in Salford Quays.'

This surprises you? Of course they are. 

Well, no, not a surprise after the fact obviously. But it annoys me that the investment was not spread around the country further and that the regions are not more equally represented. A missed opportunity IMO.

• Like 1

Well, Salford provided favourable conditions for building offices for a cluster of media companies on cheap land in a decent location, so that's why it happened. If the BBC had major studies in every large UK city, they'd be slaughtered in the rest of the media for being wasteful and disorganised, they can't win. 

Anyway, getting back on topic, Randy Lerner is still a twunt and Pat Murphy deserves credit for acknowledging that where most of the media seem to ignore it, even if he does have ulterior motives. 

For as long as I remember bar the MON years, Villa only generate headlines when we are making a mess of it.  Viewed from a distance it makes sense but I agree we don't have many friends in the media. Probably due to Lerner's unwillingness to do interviews, and doing transfers by the book- and not in some land rover.

Put it this way if Lerner had owned Spurs for 10 years and they were 10 adrift from the bottom, you would never hear the end of it from the media. 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2016 at 22:53, thunderball said:

Urgh, Pat "self satisfied; mate of MON" Murphy. Horrible man. 

He had Lerner's card marked early though, I'll give him that.

more through a petty grudge than actual journalism ;)

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

To be honest, we had tons of 'friends in the media' when we were sponsored by Acorns and bringing through British players, but the media is only interested in what's shiny and new. As you say, Lerner doesn't do interviews, and the club is quite hermetic with few leaks and no massive scandals, and we've been cruising just above the relegation zone for years. There's been no reason to pay attention, and what's worse, we generally play boring, unattractive football. That's no excuse for the shameful lack of knowledge some pundits have, but it helps explain why people feel apathy about us going down. 

True. Very true.

20 hours ago, mykeyb said:

If I won the lottery and bought a business and ran it as poorly as Lerner has allowed us to be ran, pumped money into the business but ultimately was still struggling so I decided to cut my loses would I expect to sell the business and get every penny back I had put in.

No I wouldnt - so Lerner can **** off

Lerner isn't expecting to get every penny back he's put in.

Has anyone heard the rumours of learner looking to sell the ground and training ground and the club to rent back? Could be a reason king was appointed to the board... It would get randy some cash back without having to actually sell the club itself -if he can't sell as a whole it looks like he is going to asset strip...

Not sure how appointing King to the board, would tie in with Lerner wanting to sell Villa Park and Bodymoor Heath. If that was the plan you'd think that a life long Villa fan, presumably with connections and influence, is the last person you'd want around. And associating himself with such a move by joining the board is probably the last thing that King would want to do.

12 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

If it sounds stupid you can probably count on Randy to consider it.

I don't think he would tbh. He is a shit owner, and he knows **** all about football.. But he has always tried to do the right thing 'heritage' wise.

• Like 1

Is it true that Lerner and Co are going to redecorate the inside of VP for next term ? taking some idears from White Hart lane as well.

Apparently they are thinking of replacing "Southgate passes the ball to Greydon" to something like "we were a great club now we are a laughing stock" and where Spurs have stuff like " the game is all about glory" we are going to have "This club is all about cutting cost' 

On 6 February 2016 at 09:53, richp999 said:

Has anyone heard the rumours of learner looking to sell the ground and training ground and the club to rent back? Could be a reason king was appointed to the board... It would get randy some cash back without having to actually sell the club itself -if he can't sell as a whole it looks like he is going to asset strip...

This sort of thing never makes any sense to me. If you own something you have an investment there, it makes zero sense to sell it to someone and then pay them for the privilege of using it.

businesses do this rubbish all the time. Short term profits over long term gain. Sure it'll make us a few bob now.... But we'll be renting it back forever more.

no thanks!

When do we "write off" the past and curtail the cynical views to wards the new people being appointed?

• Remi Garde
  • Mervyn King
  • Steve Hollis

are not to blame for our demise.....give them a break.

The person who can be blamed for the people he has appointed to improve the clubs position and has contributed with them to put us gravelly in reverse......has now made moves (one would hope) to reverse the decline,by appointing the above...unless there is any other cynical plan that I am not privy to.

ps I heard yesterday that the Randy's plan is to take the Tv money and sell the club for what he paid for it......whether that is a manufactured rumour,or bonafide I don't know.

Edited by TRO

Cost cutting is an action that is the result of poor performance in any organisation.....until an upturn is found and a resumption to reinvestment.

its not an option it's an inevitability.....No businessman will continue to fund poor performance, even if he/she has caused it.....at present they can't find an answer to reverse the trend in order to create the confidence for reinvestment.

It can seem paradoxical, but it's what happens hopefully in a temporary vane.

its no point us bitching about cost cutting......we will just wind ourselves up.

They are probably discussing how we we can create a team to challenge for the title for £22.5 million........as opposed to spending c45million on 13 players to turn us in to a relegation team.

plenty to discuss in them board meetings, I trust.

• Like 1

Â