Ashley Westwood

Nabby

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

the fact people think he is easily good enough for our midfield is why we are shit. Westwood should have been chucked out of club in summer like Lowton and Weimann. He has played 3.5 seasons and offers nothing at this level. Is no more excuses and can see him in Championship with or without us soon

Possibly. But that doesn't change the fact that he is good enough to be starting for us at the moment.

He's better than veretout (currently) and up until the past couple of games he's been better than Sanchez.

If Sanchez maintains his consistency then he's easily the better player. But for about 9 months he hasn't been that player.

Everybody in our team needs replacing apart from the odd one or two. It's not all Westwood's fault, which again was the point being argued here.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No it isn't.

But I'd argue it is the absolute definition of scapegoating to say it's all his fault. Which is pretty much what you did.

Rotterdam blamed him for all 4 goals. 

Thats scaegoating. 

I didn't blame him, i implied that he doesn't know how to play as a defensive midfielder, its not in his make up.All the guff about hes good at this hes good at that....hes not good at anything he is incredibly average, but is a very poor defensive midfielder.Veretout and Gana play different roles, so comparisons are futile.

• Like 2

Westwood isn't the problem, the fact that he has been good enough to be a regular starter for the last three years is the problem.

I think he is a decent enough squad player, and for £1m that is a bargain, a success. Worse players like Sylla, Tonev, Bowery etc weren't the problem, because they really weren't good enough so we just got rid. Westwood has been good enough, and that is the problem that hasn't been fixed for three years.

24 minutes ago, poitier said:

Westwood isn't the problem, the fact that he has been good enough to be a regular starter for the last three years is the problem.

I think he is a decent enough squad player, and for £1m that is a bargain, a success. Worse players like Sylla, Tonev, Bowery etc weren't the problem, because they really weren't good enough so we just got rid. Westwood has been good enough, and that is the problem that hasn't been fixed for three years.

Yes and that goes back to my point.  He epitomises everything that is happening with this club over the past 3 or 4 years.

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

So basically it's all Westwood's fault?

He's been naff lately, but this thread is the biggest case of scapegoating a Villa player I've ever seen.

Seriously?!?  I've seen VT scapegoat players much worse than this.  Like most of the others, this one is a bit less than half earned.  

Rotterdam speaking lots of sense. The embarrassing defence of him continues.

Westwood is far from the only reason we've been shit for the past 4 years but he is one of the easily remedied problems. He has no defensive skills. We've stayed up with him, he hasn't been vital to us staying up - we stayed up despite him. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Missed a great chance, should have scored. 

Left foot with a high bounce, I didn't expect him to. And to be honest, there are very few of our entire squad that I would have backed to finish that chance.