Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He really is the most inoffensive player in the squad. I find it truly baffling.

you have answered yourself......Inoffensive to the opposition too, more importantly.

We have players who constantly gift the opposition the ball with mistakes who get far less criticism than Westwood.  FAR less.

Hell, our actual defensive midfielder (Sanchez) put in one of the worst challenges I've seen against Sturridge when he scored that cracking volley against us - not even mentioned in his thread.  If that was Westwood, we'd have meltdown...

so lets mention it then, but we was talking about Westwood.....I will go on the Sanchez thread to register the complaint about him.

Some players at least body check....not saying fouling is ok......but lets get close and do something.... we just allow the opposition to railroad us.

If other players do it and I believe it to be so, then they deserve criticism too.....but Westwood is billed as a Defensive midfielder.

Edited by TRO

Absolutely nowhere near good enough in my opinion, but I find it baffling how much praise he gets game after game. Dropping him would be a blessing in disguise. He's been in our relegation battles since he joined us pretty much, yet he still somehow makes every team sheet and claims the 'unsung hero' title from certain fans? Someone like him in the middle of the park needs to step up and become a leader.

• Like 4

Absolutely nowhere near good enough in my opinion, but I find it baffling how much praise he gets game after game. He's been in our relegation battles since he joined us pretty much, yet he still somehow makes every team sheet 

Hardly anybody praises him. Just defend him from OTT criticism.

And Benteke was in relegation battles year upon year too.

Absolutely nowhere near good enough in my opinion, but I find it baffling how much praise he gets game after game. 

apart from everyone saying he was awful for a few games a couple of games ago ? zzzzz. stop making stuff up.

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

He's not a defensive midfielder though!

We're going to just keep going round in circles :D

fine, so what is he?.....If he is playing the DM Role.

Edited by TRO

Absolutely nowhere near good enough in my opinion, but I find it baffling how much praise he gets game after game. He's been in our relegation battles since he joined us pretty much, yet he still somehow makes every team sheet 

Hardly anybody praises him. Just defend him from OTT criticism.

And Benteke was in relegation battles year upon year too.

.......and maybe, he was another one over hyped, emphasis maybe, he is not exactly pulling up trees for his new employer, granted he is injured....but what I have seen of him, has not impressed me.....He looks lost.

I think a lot of folk on here seem to forget we finished 17th WITH Beneteke,Vlaar,Delph & Cleverley......don't say much about the rest, does it?

Edited by TRO

Do people actually watch us play?
Are you honestly trying to say Benteke wasn't very good?

Do people actually watch us play?
Are you honestly trying to say Benteke wasn't very good?

I didn't say he wasn't  very good, and yes I do watch them play, but I have my opinions as you do yours.

Christian Benteke for us, on form was bordering on unplayable....but equally he had spells like Agbonlahor, when he was barren.....as an example.. In the ideal world a goal a game 9 games is more likely to produce more points than 3 goals in 3 games and 6 barren ones.....its not how many goals are scored, its the effect on points those goals have.

Some goal scorers would be more liable to get goals when the team needs them, Like Shearer and our own Andy Gray/Peter Withe.

My point was despite his goals....we still finished 17th..... so what was the rest doing.

I never wanted Christian to leave, but that did not impair my observation that he could have games where he looked uninterested.

Watching games is a really good way of seeing all these things, but then opinions can vary even so......I would be amazed if folk came on here spewing their frustration out of a team they love dearly without watching them play.

All our fans support the team......But they have varying views on the merits of each player and they are entitled to that, without being questioned as to whether they watch the games.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

But what you're saying is because we finished 17th, no player could have been very good.

That is completely flawed logic. 

If you put Leo Messi in a sunday league team then they'd finish bottom of the premier league. But would that mean Messi isn't very good?

Crazy logic. It's always bothered me when people say "well we're crap so Player X can't be very good". It's bollocks.

Expected by those who don't rate him to be both offensive and defensive when, in reality, he isn't made for either.

People can't seem to get past this, though, and think you either need to be assisting/scoring or destructive.  No other type of midfielder exists!

No, no other midfielder is worth existing.

• Like 1

But what you're saying is because we finished 17th, no player could have been very good.

If you put Leo Messi in a sunday league team then they'd finish bottom of the premier league. But would that mean Messi isn't very good?

Crazy logic. It's always bothered me when people say "well we're crap so Player X can't be very good". It's bollocks.

could possibly be the case, depending on how he played.

you are possibly talking about technical ability in isolation of every other ingredient that is required to be a top player.....If Lionel Messi ( hypothetically) was playing for a sunday league side with all his talent, but decided he didn't want to APPLY it due to circumstances that belong to him and as a result the team finished bottom.....yes I would say he was CRAP

..............but the truth of the matter is this -Messi grafts like a trojan, has wonderful talent ad rarely plays a game where he doesn't APPLY it.

Its a team game and all the individual parts need to be contributing.....chances are if you Finished 17th not much is working for you.

I don't happen to share the stone blind theory that Benteke is a wonderful player, I think he is inconsistent, when he is on he is wonderful and when he's not he is not wonderful.

some players in positions like him have more consistency in contributing to the teams result

Edited by TRO

you mean : What I think your saying is because we finished 17th, no player could have been very good.

when in fact I wrote : Despite Benteke's goals we finished 17th.....so what was the rest doing?....Question ( not statement)

Stevo.... you do seem to hang on to every word as though it is set in tablets of stone, some statements are generalisations.....I would wager that when a team gets relegated the odds are for more players being poor than good, I don't see the top six falling over their bootlaces to sign them, however there are always exceptions  as with Benteke and Ings.

However, its not about Benteke, its about Westwood and I don't like the flaws I see in his game.....thats not saying he has got some good points to his game too.

on your last line it depends if the person is relating to a particular player, doing a particular thing that is directly relating to us losing, if so they may have a valid point.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Westy is a solid player...  a good squad player.  Nothing more.  Unfortunately- we don't have anyone better to supplant him.  So he is 1st11 every week instead of a rotation player like he should be.  Personally I think Veretout is more talented and will surpass him, however- he is having difficulty adjusting to the Premier League so far- Westy has had 3yrs, Veretout has barely had 5 matches.  Sanchez is a better DM, but he is more limited than Westy offensively- and cannot play more than 60minutes it seems.  Westy cannot play DM as effectively as Sanchez...  but he is a better passer, and can last the full 90. 

What never seems to work is when we play both Westy and Sanchez together at the same time, neither are mobile enough, zero pace.  It leaves us too limited in MF and we are overrun.  It needs to be one or the other.

We need a mad scientist to combine Westy and Sanchez into one player...  Sanchwood!  holding midfield problem solved!!!

UTV