Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

23 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I think you going off at a tangent and mentioning him "killing somebody" is irrelevent to what I posted.

However I fully respect that you have the right to post whatever you want here and will continue to do so even if I disagree with what you post.

It was just the language you used. "Whereabouts is the balance of his Rights/Wrongs over the last 4 years or so?" sounds a little bit melodramatic.

Do you really feel disrespected because Gabby didn't celebrate his goal? I don't. And has Gabby ever referred to himself as Mr Aston Villa? I suspect that's something he's been called by others.

You talk about loving your job. If someone came along who could do your job better than you, would you voluntarily resign so that they could have it, as you expect Gabby to do?

Ultimately what does difference does it make to us as fans whether Gabby makes 40,50,60K? As much as we describe AVFC as 'our' club - it is isn't and therefore not our choice what he is paid. It always make me laugh to here fans moaning how much he is paid. If some of the rumours are true the problem in January was that Lerner, Hollis, Fox or whoever the **** is running our club wouldn't pay the wages being demand by some of our targets.  If Gabby had left in January they may have given his salary to another new striker but I suspect it still wouldn't have been enough to attract someone better. Not that long ago the likes of Warnock was being 45k - Gabby isn't great but he is more important than the like of Warnock and NZogbia who were all paid similar money. The money paid to Premier League footballers is totally meaningless in the big scheme of things. Not being prepared to pay the going rate is one of the reasons AVFC are in the shit!

As I said in a previous post Gabby hasn't been very good for quite a while but he is all we have for now and slagging him off will not make him better - possibly the reverse. His lack of a celebration clearly shows he has taken all the flak to heart. He is never been the brightest button and is more likely to respond to praise. 

FFS people should stop moaning and support him. If we go down anyway the moaners can spend the summer griping!

3 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Ultimately what does difference does it make to us as fans whether Gabby makes 40,50,60K? As much as we describe AVFC as 'our' club - it is isn't and therefore not our choice what he is paid. It always make me laugh to here fans moaning how much he is paid. If some of the rumours are true the problem in January was that Lerner, Hollis, Fox or whoever the **** is running our club wouldn't pay the wages being demand by some of our targets.  If Gabby had left in January they may have given his salary to another new striker but I suspect it still wouldn't have been enough to attract someone better. Not that long ago the likes of Warnock was being 45k - Gabby isn't great but he is more important than the like of Warnock and NZogbia who were all paid similar money. The money paid to Premier League footballers is totally meaningless in the big scheme of things. Not being prepared to pay the going rate is one of the reasons AVFC are in the shit!

As I said in a previous post Gabby hasn't been very good for quite a while but he is all we have for now and slagging him off will not make him better - possibly the reverse. His lack of a celebration clearly shows he has taken all the flak to heart. He is never been the brightest button and is more likely to respond to praise. 

FFS people should stop moaning and support him. If we go down anyway the moaners can spend the summer griping!

What the Gabby disparagers don't realise is that if Villa don't manage to return to the Premier League before their parachute payments run out (3 years), then fans will have to learn to love players far more limited than Gabby.

But by then they will be looking back fondly at the day when Gabby scored the goal which won the game at Old Trafford, and thinking, those were the days.:)

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 2

We'll see how Gabby does for the rest of the season, I don't have any confidence in him that he will suddenly become anything like a consistent player but for the survival hope I hope he does of course.

Also if he scores I hope he celebrates, doing the sulking thing once is ok in a lame, making a point way, doing it again would be pretty sad on his part.

4 hours ago, Trickster said:

We'll see how Gabby does for the rest of the season, I don't have any confidence in him that he will suddenly become anything like a consistent player but for the survival hope I hope he does of course.

Also if he scores I hope he celebrates, doing the sulking thing once is ok in a lame, making a point way, doing it again would be pretty sad on his part.

He doesnt need to be consistent. Win us 4-6 games out of 13 Would worth him his contract. Even without another goal in his career if we stayed up.

Which is less than half of the games. 

21 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So you are saying that when Cruyff arrived at Barcelona and moved Lineker out wide and his goals dropped by half, it was because Lineker was rubbish, then?

I don't know the circumstances, so I can't comment on that....but it could be he was struggling for form and he wanted to accommodate him....just guessing

Lineker for me was a competent striker.....but there are always exceptional periods in any players career.

We are talking many seasons in Gabby,s case not a blip or a new manager syndrome.

8 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Not being prepared to pay the going rate is one of the reasons AVFC are in the shit!

I would put a slightly different slant on it.

you are right with the above statement.....but ask yourself why?

I would suggest they have paid the going rate in the past.....but the players that they have paid it to have not measured up to their pay....in short, they have not produced the goods and so as a club we have not created the revenue to pay them.

that is what had landed us in the shit.

22 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So you are saying that when Cruyff arrived at Barcelona and moved Lineker out wide and his goals dropped by half, it was because Lineker was rubbish, then?

Are you suggesting that cruyff was rubbish too.....if the goals dropped off and it was a direct result of the move.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I would put a slightly different slant on it.

you are right with the above statement.....but ask yourself why?

I would suggest they have paid the going rate in the past.....but the players that they have paid it to have not measured up to their pay....in short, they have not produced the goods and so as a club we have not created the revenue to pay them.

that is what had landed us in the shit.

I am talking about post MON period.  Lerner gave MON free reign and he undoubtedly agreed some very generous deals/contracts and arguably paid over the going rate.

But from then onwards, with a couple of exceptions, a wage cap was imposed that meant quality signings were almost impossible.  Lerner went from one extreme to the other and this led directly to our current demise. The writing was on the wall in the close season when Lambert  scoured the lower & foreign leagues signing the likes of Lowton, Bennett, Westwood, Bowery, Ahmadi, Sylla, Holman for the grand total of around £10 million. I doubt any of these were paid significant wages. Yes we signed Benteke but Lambert tried to sign others where we couldn't meet the wage demands. 

I don't deny that we didn't have the revenue, but that really isn't the point. We needed more experience and quality. It was a a high risk strategy and ultimately a false economy that accellerared the spiral of decline. The so called 'project' of running a club on a shoestring was a Lerner induced pipe dream and unfortunately it is still the case.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TRO said:

Are you suggesting that cruyff was rubbish too.....if the goals dropped off and it was a direct result of the move.

No, I was just responding to your vexatious claim (below) with my own. :)

To create a mitigation for not scoring goals by playing out wide is a desperate attempt to put a player you favour on side.....it's a cop out.

Peace!;)

22 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

What the Gabby disparagers don't realise is that if Villa don't manage to return to the Premier League before their parachute payments run out (3 years), then fans will have to learn to love players far more limited than Gabby.

But by then they will be looking back fondly at the day when Gabby scored the goal which won the game at Old Trafford, and thinking, those were the days.:)

I wouldn't hold your breath on this if I were you. More limited???

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I am talking about post MON period.  Lerner gave MON free reign and he undoubtedly agreed some very generous deals/contracts and arguably paid over the going rate.

But from then onwards, with a couple of exceptions, a wage cap was imposed that meant quality signings were almost impossible.  Lerner went from one extreme to the other and this led directly to our current demise. The writing was on the wall in the close season when Lambert  scoured the lower & foreign leagues signing the likes of Lowton, Bennett, Westwood, Bowery, Ahmadi, Sylla, Holman for the grand total of around £10 million. I doubt any of these were paid significant wages. Yes we signed Benteke but Lambert tried to sign others where we couldn't meet the wage demands. 

I don't deny that we didn't have the revenue, but that really isn't the point. We needed more experience and quality. It was a a high risk strategy and ultimately a false economy that accellerared the spiral of decline. The so called 'project' of running a club on a shoestring was a Lerner induced pipe dream and unfortunately it is still the case.

Post MON I agree entirely and yes it did go from one extreme to the other.

I don't agree with what he has done and how he has gone about it....... but I am trying to understand his thinking.....If that is at all possible.

I can only assume the MON period set the stage for the Post Period.....and the austerity has never ended.

6 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

No, I was just responding to your vexatious claim (below) with my own. :)

Peace!;)

I wasn't trying to be Vexatious.....I was trying to reconcile an argument for a forward player ( who is available for selection)scoring a few goals in 12 months.

On 2/12/2016 at 18:43, abdulaziz1 said:

He doesnt need to be consistent. Win us 4-6 games out of 13 Would worth him his contract. Even without another goal in his career if we stayed up.

Which is less than half of the games. 

Thats such an easy thing to say though. If a guy who hadn't scored for a year was on a big 5 year contract and scored a last minute last day winner to keep the team up, doesn't mean he'd be worth his contract, although the romantic side of it may falsely show that. If we stayed up it would be because the defence played great and the team started performing superhuman in comparison. Nothing he would do in a short run of games would have made him 'worth his contract'.

Thats such an easy thing to say though. If a guy who hadn't scored for a year was on a big 5 year contract and scored a last minute last day winner to keep the team up, doesn't mean he'd be worth his contract, although the romantic side of it may falsely show that. If we stayed up it would be because the defence played great and the team started performing superhuman in comparison. Nothing he would do in a short run of games would have made him 'worth his contract'.

If that last minute winner was worth a minimum £90m he literally would be worth every penny.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Trickster said:

It's not as just if he scored a last minute winner.

First of all I was referring about what people are saying that he's on a high contract without performing good. Some said he would worth it if he had consistency. I said he doesn't need to if he did the job and won us 4-6 games. Which we haven't done without him. Ofcourse it's not only because of him. But if he managed to do what we lacked (scoring) and score those winners. I would definitly be happy for him for all what he took or will take. Even if he haven't played a minute after that.

I'm not saying he's a legend or anything. But he's still our most goal scorer in the PL. He's one of our academy. We would all like him to be as we thought before. It's not going to happen though. But if he was helpful in the miracle of us staying up. He would save us a lot of money and would be the new signing we all wanted the previous window.

In other words, say we got Adebayor or anyone else to save us. All of us will say he's worth his contract if he scored us those goals. Most won't depend on Adebayor next season but they'd accept giving him contract to let him help us staying this season.

I think the main problem with Gabby is that he's over used, and manager stick with him even when he's performing bad. That's one of the things which make us not happy seeing him.

BTW, It's not about staying up, but about staying up from our position. Were we all accepted relegation.

Basically, if he did this and we stayed up, He would worth it more than if he played consistently from now and then we go down then he gets the most goal scorer down there to make us promote again.

Â