Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

40 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The question is how much abuse is a fan entitled to give based on the money they pay?

Gate and match day receipts amount to £13m out of Villa's turnover of £117m (9%).

£13m divided by 19 games comes to £684k

The average gate is 34975 which means the average fan is paying £19.5 per home game towards the cost of running Villa.

59% of that contribution Villa pay out in wages, which is £11.5 

Which means the average fan should get around £1's worth of abuse for each player in the team per week.

Gabby might be getting £60k a week but how much abuse should he expect from someone only paying him a quid a week? :)

I'm sorry, the answer to your question is zero.  Nobody is ever entitled to abuse someone.  Now, change the word to criticize and you have  an interesting question.  Although if the right to criticize is a "paid for" entitlement then maybe only season ticket holders fit your math.  Also, you left out the manager, the owner, the board, the tea lady, and other fans.  (sorry to be critical... how much do I owe you?) 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The question is how much abuse is a fan entitled to give based on the money they pay?

Gate and match day receipts amount to £13m out of Villa's turnover of £117m (9%).

£13m divided by 19 games comes to £684k

The average gate is 34975 which means the average fan is paying £19.5 per home game towards the cost of running Villa.

59% of that contribution Villa pay out in wages, which is £11.5 

Which means the average fan should get around £1's worth of abuse for each player in the team per week.

Gabby might be getting £60k a week but how much abuse should he expect from someone only paying him a quid a week? :)

If I go to poundland and spend a pound on something that isn't worth a pound because it doesn't function to a level of being a pounds worth.

Am I not allowed to complain about it and call it shit because it "doesn't do what it says on the tin"?

or

As it's only a pound, it's not worth bothing about - Despite the fact that somewhere along the line I had to "work" so many seconds/minutes/hours for that particular pound to spend it on something that doesn't meet my satisfaction.

Edited by Grasshopper

14 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I'm sorry, the answer to your question is zero.  Nobody is ever entitled to abuse someone.  Now, change the word to criticize and you have  an interesting question.  Although if the right to criticize is a "paid for" entitlement then maybe only season ticket holders fit your math.  Also, you left out the manager, the owner, the board, the tea lady, and other fans.  (sorry to be critical... how much do I owe you?) 

I was just repeating the logic which critics of Gabby apply when they claim that because he is getting £xxk a week he is morally obliged to be better than he is.

I was just showing that if the same logic is applied to the fans, their expectations of themselves should be based upon how much they actually pay towards his £xxk.

30 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

two things wrong with this (despite the multiple likes).  

1- It ignores the "he is noted by many including the national press for standing around on the pitch offering little options for his teammates, he disappears on the pitch for long periods within and across multiple matches,  his goal scoring is spotty,  his decision making with the ball is frequently suspect."  

2- It ignores the overall fan frustration with the team.  There's hardly a thread on here (or any other fan forum for that matter) that doesn't include some "dogs abuse" for every single human, animal, mascot, or aroma associated with the team.

Having said that.  What the post get's right  (IMO) is that "dogs abuse" is not appropriate, never appropriate, never helpful.  Criticism yes.  (the statements I made above are not "dogs abuse" they are statements of at least reasonable perceptions on his actual conduct.)

BTW, someone is likely to disagree with my post and write a disagreement so that I "can't do right for wrong" either.  I'll post something else later on.  The fact that some critics are moronic in their vitriole and scope doesn't prevent me from posting, nor should it prevent him from working his #%# off to do his job well.  Too often, I'm not seeing that.

the difference between gabby and the rest of our team IMO is that the abuse goes further than football, it spills in to his personal life and has done for a long time, id happily admit to venting my spleen in the gestede thread, but im not seeking him out on social media and commenting that hes a word removed when he posts pictures of himself with his kids

the best example was the anger over gabby posting a picture of himself at a restaurant in dubai when he was out there a few months back doing the warm weather training, it probably got 2/3 pages of vitriol on here, good knows how many comments on instagram, how dare he go to restaurants when he should be getting fit, its nonsense that he doesnt deserve

in my honest opinion the balance with gabby has tipped, there are more of us that want him to fail then there are that want him to sort it out

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I was just repeating the logic which critics of Gabby apply when they claim that because he is getting £xxk a week he is morally obliged to be better than he is.

I was just showing that if the same logic is applied to the fans, their expectations of themselves should be based upon how much they actually pay towards his £xxk.

ok, but i feel criticized so you owe me 6 cents USD   :)    

FWIW I think i took your point and expanded it.  they are not entitled to abuse at all... and their abuse is spread much more broadly than any 11 on the field.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the difference between gabby and the rest of our team IMO is that the abuse goes further than football, it spills in to his personal life and has done for a long time, id happily admit to venting my spleen in the gestede thread, but im not seeking him out on social media and commenting that hes a word removed when he posts pictures of himself with his kids

the best example was the anger over gabby posting a picture of himself at a restaurant in dubai when he was out there a few months back doing the warm weather training, it probably got 2/3 pages of vitriol on here, good knows how many comments on instagram, how dare he go to restaurants when he should be getting fit, its nonsense that he doesnt deserve

in my honest opinion the balance with gabby has tipped, there are more of us that want him to fail then there are that want him to sort it out

take a look at the Grealish thread, even today he is ripped for posting a picture of his own iced ankle.  and the nZogbia thread, (seen his wardrobe lately?) 

I think it may be true that the only ones that don't get abuse on social media may be the ones that don't use social media... except for RL of course.

Too many are victimized by abuse (one is too many).  I just don't think Gabby is uniquely victimized.  

This is all a load of cobblers. All Villas players, including Gabby, have had a very easy ride. Considering the position we are in , the fans have been pretty subdued. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. There will always be a few who go over the top. In Gabbys case the vast majority of complaints have been completely justified, this is simply not a problem.

• Like 3

On 10 February 2016 at 10:10, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No. You've got yourself confused again.

You seem completely incapable of seeing any shade other than black and white.

Goal scoring is black or white.

you either score or you don't.

the other shade is conjecture.

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Still scoring crucial goals for us in 2016 tho

Singular, not plural.lol.....but let's hope it's a sign of things to come, I don't want to wait until next January for the next one.

However.........it was a good goal and a crucial one......and I applauded it.

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

We're not talking about 'criticism', we're talking about abuse, online abuse. The interaction he has with fans is mainly via his Instagram account. I don't know if you've ever encountered it, but people aren't writing carefully thought-through analyses of his performances. Calling somebody a word removed isn't 'criticism'. 

Unfortunately, there is always the one who wants to take things from football to further extreme.

sadly.

Edited by TRO

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 19:17, KHV said:

Benteke rarely played left wing IIRC

Great-So blame it on the position he was playing then, not the fact that he was playing in the shittest squad ever assembled.

Not that it matters where he plays, he is simply not a prolific goalscorer at this level.

There are many players who have fluctuated between playing out wide and playing

inside.....some great ones too.

To create a mitigation for not scoring goals by playing out wide is a desperate attempt to put a player you favour on side.....it's a cop out.

Players who are familiar with both roles ...cut inside and choose their moments to strategically wonder from one position to another it's dynamic not static....Kenny Dalglish did it.

If Gabby was a prolific scorer, he would be played consistently down the middle, but he is not ,so the team need to find one that is and that's what successive managers have tried to do.

They have played Gabby out wide not as spite as some might imply, but to accomodate his pace in the side.....it's up to him to us it, the best he can.

• Like 2

People keep speculating about Gabbys salary, I will not pretend to know it. However as far as I know, in the last contract he signed he took a pay cut. Am I wrong? (Seriously asking). Wasnt it Bent who was highest earner on around 65K? Isn't Gabby on 40 - 50 k? (Still great money obviously)

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So you are saying that when Cruyff arrived at Barcelona and moved Lineker out wide and his goals dropped by half, it was because Lineker was rubbish, then?

It's almost like saying you should be able to penetrate a girl with a 60 inch booty equally as effectively from the back as you could missionary. too much?).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People keep speculating about Gabbys salary, I will not pretend to know it. However as far as I know, in the last contract he signed he took a pay cut. Am I wrong? (Seriously asking). Wasnt it Bent who was highest earner on around 65K? Isn't Gabby on 40 - 50 k? (Still great money obviously)

Pfft. If he really loved the club, he'd be paying them to let him play.

Â