R.Bear

3 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Average goals per season over Villa career:

Dwight Yorke - 10.77

Gabby - 8.5

Medals over entire career:

Dwight Yorke-FA Cup, League Cup, Premier League, Champions League

Gabby-

I'm not sure what he was trying to prove with the lack of celebration but what the hell does he expect? he earns £millions each year and what exactly does he do to justify it? Yes he works hard and chases back but as a striker, his main asset should be his goal scoring ability. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't score again all season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Medals over entire career:

Dwight Yorke-FA Cup, League Cup, Premier League, Champions League

Gabby-

Medals over Dwight Yorke's career if he hadn't left to go to the biggest club in the country - League Cup

what's your point?

Gabby was very successful under MON however you also have to factor in that the Villa squads over the last 5 seasons have been getting worse and worse culminating in the shittest Villa squad assembled since the mid 80's.

37 minutes ago, KHV said:

Medals over Dwight Yorke's career if he hadn't left to go to the biggest club in the country - League Cup

what's your point?

Gabby was very successful under MON however you also have to factor in that the Villa squads over the last 5 seasons have been getting worse and worse culminating in the shittest Villa squad assembled since the mid 80's.

The point is very simple-He had the option to join the biggest club in the country. Gabby didn't. Neither did any other striker. Comparing Gabby to Dwight Yorke is ridiculous.

Playing for the shittest squad ever assembled didn't stop Benteke scoring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I didn't say I didn't rate him, I said I wouldn't describe him as unplayable.

He is the best we have had in recent times.

I never thought his movement was good enough to be labelled top notch.....Good for us with a ration of 1:2

not producing at Liverpool .........and its Interesting how old Klipperty shares my view about his lack of movement.

Not as popular at Anfield as Villa Park.

Ps and yes the last few years have been really miserable and a few before them too.....but we seem to be able to descend in to further levels of miserable.

well if Jurgen Klopp is your football gospel then you have problems. He just gave MIgnolet a 5 year deal

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

After a decent performance in which he scored a very important goal. I'd be worried if they didn't "praise" him for that. 

Doug it's got nothing to do with not praising him for scoring at the weekend. In fact I thought it was a decent finish myself. It's  about what's gone before . Can you put your hand on yout heart and state on here that your happy with his goal  return and performances over the past 4 seasons? 

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I didn't say I didn't rate him, I said I wouldn't describe him as unplayable.

He is the best we have had in recent times.

I never thought his movement was good enough to be labelled top notch.....Good for us with a ration of 1:2

not producing at Liverpool .........and its Interesting how old Klipperty shares my view about his lack of movement.

Not as popular at Anfield as Villa Park.

Ps and yes the last few years have been really miserable and a few before them too.....but we seem to be able to descend in to further levels of miserable.

Gotcha. 

I would say he was 'unplayable on his day'. 

Doug it's got nothing to do with not praising him for scoring at the weekend. In fact I thought it was a decent finish myself. It's  about what's gone before . Can you put your hand on yout heart and state on here that your happy with his goal  return and performances over the past 4 seasons? 

No. You've got yourself confused again.

You seem completely incapable of seeing any shade other than black and white.

14 hours ago, KHV said:

what's your point?

So you are saying we wouldn't have won the treble if Yorkie had stayed?

Get out now.

• Like 1

Just watched the Norwich highlights again, and in all honesty it just makes me sad to see Gabby not celebrate when scoring in front of the Holte. I'm not annoyed at him for it, it just makes me a bit sad. I'm not defending his goal scoring or lack thereof, and I don't want to get dragged in to that debate, but it does seem a massive shame that a guy playing for his boyhood club doesn't even get excited when he scores any more. 

For me football is as much about passion as it is about hope, victory, and the other sides which balance it all like losing etc., so to see no passion in his face or demeanour when scoring... I just think it's a total shame.

I noticed his lack of celebration.  I pointed it out to my wife who hypothesized that he was just trying to keep his mind on the serious business at hand.  And maybe she's right...  I was not angry and I was not sad.  I was just baffled and I still am.  I truly don't understand it.  But then again, I don't need to.  He kept playing hard.  As long as continues, I don't care if he ever celebrates again!  (although I'll still be baffled by the behavior)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, srsmithusa said:

I noticed his lack of celebration.  I pointed it out to my wife who hypothesized that he was just trying to keep his mind on the serious business at hand.  And maybe she's right...  I was not angry and I was not sad.  I was just baffled and I still am.  I truly don't understand it.  But then again, I don't need to.  He kept playing hard.  As long as continues, I don't care if he ever celebrates again!  (although I'll still be baffled by the behavior)

Yes, stayed lively and had good movement in the box. As long as he can keep it up and score a few that's all good.

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Doug I can assure you I'm not in any way confused I know exactly where I stand on Gabby and with great respect you cleverly chose not to answer my question

It doesn't really matter to me what has gone on before... Gabby has a chance to go down in Villa folklore forever. 

If he can score goals from now until the end of the season that keep us up, he'll always be a hero no matter what some people might think of him right now.

In his defence, I still think he's not been played in his best position for the last few seasons and it must have been massively frustrating for him.

Gabby didn't celebrate because he's a really cool dude. Laidback and chill. Didn't you hear him say the word shit on television after the match. If that doesn't convey to you that he's the James Dean of the Premier League, then you don't know who James Dean is. Gabby is the quintessential bad boy. He's like Ibrahimovic, but more outrageous. With Gabby's attitude and Grealish's hair, we have the most hipster brand club in the PL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Personally I don't blame Gabby for not celebrating. 

I hope that's his point made now and he'll celebrate next time he scores. But I can see why he didn't.

What's his point? He's been truly awful. Any criticism has been well merited. It's been so long since his last goal he's probably forgotten how to celebrate.Hope he gets more goals, we need them. But I wont hold my breath.

• Like 1

Â