Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

He finished the 12/13 season in great form and there was a nice little stat with an England squad that summer where Gabby had more goals in 'X' amount of games than all four of the picked strikers together.

This may well have been the case, I have no reason to doubt this however in footballing terms that's quite some considerable time ago and as for England I'm afraid that ship has long since sailed.

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

I assume your taking all competitions into account ? As I make 2009/2010 the last time he hit double figures in the league, however I'll concede this is a mute point. But what I'll stand by is that if by DDID's opinion of him having purple patches of 8-10 games which  could be expected to yield around 3-4 goals per patch?then surely he should he hitting double figures every season and not us splitting hairs over league/cups goals? 

You've misunderstood the concept of "purple patch". If he only goes through one and a half (ended by injury) "purple patch's" like that a season he ends the season on 6 goals, like he did last season. Or in 12/13 when he had a great run towards the end of the season, scoring 6 from around about now (February 10th) until the end of the season, including the infamous brace against Norwich and the winner against Reading. 

Gabby Agbonlahor is NOT a long term answer, that hasn't changed. But right now we are looking at the next 13 games only. 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

im sure if Gabby got a hat-trick in every game until end of season and then won England the Euros by being top scorer then Dave J would still criticize him

And I'm sure if he doesn't score again for 3 months, there will be those who still wont criticize him.

• Like 3

It's unfair to call him fat but he's not very well conditioned for a professional footballer. Injuries or not, there's no excuse for that with the staff and facilities available to him. 

Would take several weeks of hard graft to put that right now, so it's very much a case of 'you get what you see' with him. It's his mental attitude that will determine how good he is between now and the rest of the season. We must pin all our hopes on him wanting to prove a few people wrong. 

17 minutes ago, meregreen said:

And I'm sure if he doesn't score again for 3 months, there will be those who still wont criticize him.

I'm a fan of Gabby's, I certainly don't think he should be shielded from any criticism. But the amount of abuse he gets is ridiculous. He has not been the sole reason for our position, in fact I imagine most level headed fans could name you five players straight away who've been worse than him in the last 4/5 seasons. Yet he will take more stick than any of them, this probably is down to the fact that he hasn't been the great hope that we thought he would be when he was younger. He had so much potential, but he has scored a decent amount of goals for a striker who's been thrown out on the wing most of the time because of his pace, yet it being ignored that he can't cross as its not his job to. I'll support him because we'd have already been relegated on two seperate occasions if not for his late surge of goals, plus the goals against the scum certainly elevate him for me ;)

Edited by 7392craig

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

"8 Touches Gabby" can send a "Hello, how's it going?" text to "8 Defeats Gary Neville" on Thursday morning.

Then Gary can whip out his CL medal, and highlight the fact he got every inch out of his career and talent. Has Gabby?

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Then Gary can whip out his CL medal, and highlight the fact he got every inch out of his career and talent. Has Gabby?

I have visions of Gabby leading Villa as Manager to CL 2032 and Neville commenting on 5live

22 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Gabby has probably got more out of his talent than most players to play in Premier League. He has great speed but not very good at technical ability or skill yet he has played regularly for 10 years at top level

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Gabby has probably got more out of his talent than most players to play in Premier League. He has great speed but not very good at technical ability or skill yet he has played regularly for 10 years at top level

I disagree, at 23 he was scoring double figures in the PL and playing for England. He had talent.

Â