Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

He has played 2 full games now and has made a difference for me....but his recent injury record is very poor, he is injured a lot and I would be surprised if he does not  pick up a niggle. Need him to stay fit and on form.

Edited by deamie

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think it was - I think the keeper was expecting Gabby to tap it past him and go down - I was, and I think that's what would have happened in 9 cases out of 10. Either Gabby saw something we didn't or well, he's not quite up on the script, but when the keeper paused in thinking about the penalty Gabby tucked it under him. I wouldn't blame the keeper necessarily for that.

If that was down the other end and Bunn or Guzan had ran 18 yards off the line to collect a ball in a race they were never going to win allowing the opposition striker to roll the ball past them into an unguarded net then I'd be raging at them.  It's not a howler that's going to end up on some Danny Baker DVD like Wayne Hennessey's effort against us last month but it's definitely a mistake and I'm sure Rudd will be getting asked about it when Norwich come in for training tomorrow morning.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

another big goal for us. After Yorke and Benteke he is probably our most crucial striker in last 20 years or so

Unfortunately, Gabby is a huge reason why we're bottom of the table and pretty much doomed to relegation. He hasn't scored in the double digits in five seasons, and he just scored his first in eleven months.  Even if he starts banging them in like Jamie Vardy to close this season out and keep us up, I still want him to be the first player out the door this summer.

Edited by KMitch
  • Like 3

He worked hard yesterday and deserved his goal, which was well taken.

I did notice in the first half when they had corners or free-kicks he dropped tremendously deep into the box to help defend. Now I know this is good defensive work, but isn't 10 men enough to defend a corner?  Would he better off staying up, hanging around the halfway line to give us an outlet and possible break? I am not criticizing him at all, Remi may have asked him to do this, I am just asking the question.

• Like 1

Being negative about a player after a good game might make it seem like you don't appreciate the effort they put in, but I do. He did well yesterday.

Gabby has always been tactically and technically limited, now he's visibly unfit and has lost a bit of pace.

But if proving people wrong can get him motivated he might be a useful player for the run in. Our strike options are limited to say the least, especially with Ayew suspended.

He shouldn't start every week, but be part of the rotation based on form/opposition.

I do however fear that, by him having played very little football he will pick up thigh or hamstring injury.

On another note I wonder how Grealish feels seeing that even Gabby can pull himself together and now get into the team? 

Edited by sne

Villa have no other fit or available strikers so all we had was gabby. We needed him to put a performance in, he did just that and scored a good goal. 

I'm pleased for him as he has been good for us over the years, not so much over the last 4 years. He had a good second half of the season under Lambert one season and kept us up with some massive goals but I admit there hasn't been too much since. I hope we can see this gabby week in week out for the rest of the season. Part of me feels sad when I see how sour things have turned for gabby, he has remained here at the club as it has been destroyed by Lerner and Gabby's entire support cast has been sold off and replaced with crap year after year. 

He doesn't help himself at times but like everything at Villa I think Gabby's career has been ruined by Lerner and Co and whilst he gets paid a good sum of money he must be pissed off like the rest of us at the total shambles this club has become since MON left.

I was not criticising him,I would be happy if the ballboy scored a goal for us.I just dont think he has been consistant enough over the last few years.Surley we would be better off with Sinclair as a starter ( with his speed ) and Gabby comming on in the second half to carry on the speed angle after Gabby has slowed down a bit.

If Gabby and Sinclair ran into the box more often we would get heaps of penalties/free kicks as a result.  

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sinclair is consistently **** shit though. Lightweight, disinterested, zero confidence. At least Gabby has shown some kind of ability over 180 minutes. That's the best we've got at the minute.

Pretty much, a reasonably motivated and match fit Gabby will do a hell of a lot more than SInclair. Gabby will actually run the channels and give centre halves some kind of threat, he still has a bit of pace and is very strong on the ball. Sinclair does none of these things well.

Also, Gabby did something yesterday that none of our forwards have achieved all season, and that's not only look to, but successfully get in behind the opponents back line. Players like Gil and Veretout are relatively good passes, so having a more mobile runner in front of them will benefit them and the rest of the team.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

7 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

It was his second game of this campaigne,if it was not luck and he really is that good then he needs to start every game. 

This isn't a bad poem; sort of a Limerick although it lacks five lines, the anapaestic meter is ok, and a nice A-B-B-A rhyming structure.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 3

He's not my favourite player (and hasn't been for a while), but fair play - that goal was crucial as it calmed the nerves and meant there wasn't as much tension in the second half. Imagine if it was only 1-0 going into the last 10 minutes....

I would also point out that he looked like a totally different player after the goal, dare I say like the Gabby of old. A good performance against Liverpool and hopefully another goal to help us win and he might just save himself (and us).

• Like 1

Â