Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

28 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

You are entitled to your own opinion.

But for me there is no other player in the last ten years that has scored as many important goals for us, even when he was not scoring he set up plenty of goals as his crossing and assist rate was decent. 

I think the issue is, he is not necessarily a winger or a striker and managers have puzzled over how to get the best of him, he also doesn't have the best footballing brain. 

Some matches he has cut a forlorn sulky figure who doesn't do enough or contribute enough, the last real spell he had in the team Sherwood relied too heavily on him and the pressure of being the main forward and captain seemed to mean Gabby lost his shooting boots all together. Not sure what has really happened under Garde, but i do think he loved Sherwood and his attitude and effort was coloured by that, which earns him stick he deserves. But now he seems to be working for Garde.

I think what annoys me is when people put him in the same category as Nzogbia - as overpaid over hyped let downs. Now people are entitled to think that about Zog and others, I don't but that's me, I get it. But my opinion is Gabby cares about the club, whether or not his best days are behind him.

I don't disagree, but I've never been a fan. The post wasn't a slight on you, just how this is a sign of the times when we are getting excited about Gabby putting in a performance that is expected, and scoring a goal.

• Like 2

Well done today, we needed someone to step forward to day and he did well.

Did anyone else see the warm up hilarity with Reginald Ray, Carles Gil, Veretout and Gabby? Was a simple receive the ball from player a, lay it off to player b and move to receive it as if your through on goal. Gabby didn't get it the first time, so Reggie Ray gave him a visual example, so tried again and he still didn't get it so Gil had a word whilst Reggie Ray and Veretout looked a little bit bemused, and then sort of got it the 3rd time. Was bloody hilarious and was a shame I did't get to film it.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Maybe I've overreacted, maybe I'm more disappointed not to see a "Lazarus" type moment! It was fun singing his name and it was clear the Holte End was looking for him to be a hero, hence my disappointment at the end.

Let's all move on. Together. Play like that every week and I'm sure we and Gabby both will.

ah I get you, I didn't realise his name was being sung! I had to watch from the comfort of a hotel room. 

Wow, how this thread has changed since 5pm. 

No celebration and a childish overreaction from him and Micah on Instagram after. 'Haters'. You're earning more in a week than most of us earn in a year, grow up boys and get back to the task in hand...

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I don't disagree, but I've never been a fan. The post wasn't a slight on you, just how this is a sign of the times when we are getting excited about Gabby putting in a performance that is expected, and scoring a goal.

No i get you.

Gabby earns too much and rarely delivers, but so do most footballers, doesn't make it ok though. I think i am more sentimental, selective than anything as for every good Gabby performance/assist there is tens of games where he does precisely shit all. But as you say it's a sign of the times when praying to God that Gabby can score for us again becomes a thing.

It's funny though the more we evolve under Garde you begin to think if everyone was fit (long term absentees aside) and firing - could we actually be a okish club? As in not appalling. If Gabby can be enough of a nuisance centrally even just as a presence rather than the statues of Kozak and Gestede - then you'd think Ayew and Gil could cause some problems. 

------- Gabby

-------- Ayew

Vertout - Gil - Westwood (or Bacuna)

--------- Gana

Cissokho - Lescott - Okore - Richards

Bunn

Bench: Sanchez, Sinclair, Gestede, Clark, Grealish, Hutton, Guzan

Edited by VillanousOne

Showed more character today, so credit for that.

interestingly scored from a wing position.....shows he can do it.

....and most important of all scored, when we needed one, to kill the game off.

Edited by TRO

I only saw the second half, and I thought he played well. But after Villa go one nil up, that's Gabby's game. Playing on the counter attack as Norwich press for an equaliser. A better judge of him is to see how he plays at 0-0. It's a harder role to play.

If he was as good in the first half, I'll take it all back, but until he's scoring the first goal in a game, or looks good when we're losing, then I'll not relent in sending him abusive messages on instagram.

1 hour ago, Warnock said:

Wow, how this thread has changed since 5pm. 

No celebration and a childish overreaction from him and Micah on Instagram after. 'Haters'. You're earning more in a week than most of us earn in a year, grow up boys and get back to the task in hand...

Yeah, I thought that was a bit pathetic too. People were on Gabby's back because he hadn't scored in 11 months.  The goal today was from a goalkeeping error if truth be told and while I'm always happy to see Gabby score, he's not done much to quell dissenting voices from the Villa fans. 

8 minutes ago, YLN said:

I only saw the second half, and I thought he played well. But after Villa go one nil up, that's Gabby's game. Playing on the counter attack as Norwich press for an equaliser. A better judge of him is to see how he plays at 0-0. It's a harder role to play.

If he was as good in the first half, I'll take it all back, but until he's scoring the first goal in a game, or looks good when we're losing, then I'll not relent in sending him abusive messages on instagram.

Get a life.

• Like 2

He worked hard in the first half, held the ball up well, recycled it neatly enough. We were poor generally in the first half though and Norwich even worse, so there wasn't much for to go for in the box.

It was easily the best centre forward performance we've seen in months. Which isn't saying much I'm aware.

• Like 1

Like many I have not been his biggest fan in recent years. However today, he seemed to relish leading the line again. As it stands we are not blessed with strikers and it will be interesting to see whether Gabby can rise to the challenge. Our chances of survival are very low but Gabby could become a legend at last after all, if he gets his scoring boots on. I doubt it will happen but.....

Edited by MikeMcKenna

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

The goal today was from a goalkeeping error if truth be told.

I don't think it was - I think the keeper was expecting Gabby to tap it past him and go down - I was, and I think that's what would have happened in 9 cases out of 10. Either Gabby saw something we didn't or well, he's not quite up on the script, but when the keeper paused in thinking about the penalty Gabby tucked it under him. I wouldn't blame the keeper necessarily for that.

• Like 2

That was a typical gabby goal of old for me. Good, well timed run behind the defence and finish before he really had time to think about it.

About 2 minutes beforehand he had a great chance to run at the defence but just ended up with a very weak shot. Which is more like what we are used to see over 3 years

It was definitely a goalkeeping error, he came out way too far and visibly committed himself early. Nevertheless, Gabby had to finish it which he did with a little bit of insouciance, it was nice to see. Even when I saw the error, I couldn't believe Gabby had actually scored until the ball rolled across the line. 

16 minutes ago, matrim said:

That was a typical gabby goal of old for me. Good, well timed run behind the defence and finish before he really had time to think about it.

About 2 minutes beforehand he had a great chance to run at the defence but just ended up with a very weak shot. Which is more like what we are used to see over 3 years

Yeah i was cursing that effort.  Guess he had the three chances and took one.. I very much doubt Gestede would get 3 good chances in a game.  Though, i hope im wrong, but this could be his his 1 good game in 10.

Â