Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

On 5 February 2016 at 21:57, DCJonah said:

I'll be pretty pissed off if Sanchez and westwood are picked next season before Gardner gets a chance. He's proven in 2 spells that he's very good at championship level. 

I'd love us to go and sign Daniel Johnson to compliment him as well. 

Letting DJ go for peanuts sums up everything that has gone wrong with our club for the last 5-6 years.

The Aston Villa loanee was terrific for Nottingham Forest as they beat Leeds at Elland Road on Saturday.

Leeds United had their own Premier League loanee pulling the strings on Saturday afternoon in Liam Bridcutt.

But, unfortunately for the home side, the Sunderland-owned midfielder wasn't backed up by his team-mates.

That was part of the reason Nottingham Forest left Elland Road with all three points, of course, while another Premier League man made the difference for the visitors.

Indeed, Aston Villa loanee Gary Gardner set up Forest's winner and was generally superb against Leeds in Yorkshire...

Leeds v Forest Team Chances Created Final-Third Passes Assists Accurate Passes Interceptions Tackles Minutes Played
Gary Gardner Forest 3 9 1 37 1 3 90
Jamie Ward Forest 3 6 0 13 0 1 75
Liam Bridcutt Leeds 2 29 0 78 4 2 90
Lewis Cook Leeds 2 21 0 50 0 5 90
Eric Lichaj Forest 2 11 0 35 3 1 90

As Opta stats show, Gardner created three chances for Forest - the joint-highest tally of anyone on Saturday.

The Aston Villa midfielder also made nine final-third passes and 37 overall - a high tally compared to his team-mates but surpassed by several Leeds players.

Gardner helped out defensively, too, winning one interception and an impressive three tackles for Nottingham Forest.

His most telling contribution, however, was to set the winner up with one of his key passes.

Wherever the 23-year-old ends up next season, then, (Nottingham Forest or a return to Aston Villa) he looks very well suited to the Championship.

Clicky

18 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

Never seen anything to suggest he will be good enough , poor pretty much every time ive seen him in a villa shirt

Never really done much in a Villa shirt although his only real run was under McLeish and we all know what that brand of football is about. Always looks fantastic in a Forest shirt. My mate who is a Forest ST holder thinks he is brilliant

Proclaiming him Villa captain at this stage is mental. 

He's at Forest getting first team football. After yet another injury he needs it, again. The club obviously rate him and obviously want to give him every chance. 

The manager might decide differently in the summer, but glad its going well for him.

He needs to pull a Delph. At the same age, after serious injuries and poor form, he went on loan to his old club Leeds for the second half of 2012 where he didn't do anything of note. At least Gardner is playing well on his loan spells. All Delph needed was a run of games in the PL and now he's a Man City player. Of course, we need a manager to show faith in him as Lambert did in Delph but I'm sure Remi will give him a chance regardless of which division we're in next season.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He needs to pull a Delph. At the same age, after serious injuries and poor form, he went on loan to his old club Leeds for the second half of 2012 where he didn't do anything of note. At least Gardner is playing well on his loan spells. All Delph needed was a run of games in the PL and now he's a Man City player. Of course, we need a manager to show faith in him as Lambert did in Delph but I'm sure Remi will give him a chance regardless of which division we're in next season.

so you want him to become a prick?

• Like 2

For me at least Gardner has never lived up to the hype, being scouted by Real Madrid etc. OK the lad (well he's not a lad these days) has had a terrible run of injuries but he has never forced his way into the reckoning at Villa and lets face it we have given some total donkeys opportunities over the years. That has been against a background of a generally poor midfield.

Ironically its much better now IMO so its probably harder to get a chance. Given our likely relegation, the fact he seems excellent in the Championship and we have invested so much effort in him we should keep him but he remains totally unproven in the Premiership.

On 2/8/2016 at 00:21, AntrimBlack said:

He has never been impressive in the Premier League when he has been given a chance. The Championship seems to be his level, unfortunately.

Yes. Unfortunately thats where we are heading. Madness to get rid now. He will be our most experienced Championship player. Plus Rudy. 

• Like 1

Seeing how our foreign players have come on after playing regularly should prove that players need time to adjust. Gardner hasn't played 5 games in a row for us yet is written off. If we wasn't our player we'd be looking at buying him as he's performing do well for Forest. Regardless of what division we are in I want him to have a full preseason to show Garde what he can do. It may be he just hasn't got the luck on his side to play here as he see,s to always get serious injuries for us. It's mad how it happens to some players. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Nottingham today and got the local paper. They had a report on Forest at Burnley and Gardner got 8/10.

What interested me was the little comment about his performance mentioned him playing just infront of the back 4.

In his few performances for us he always played AM of the two central midfielders, indeed all his youth./reserve team games indicate this was his position.

Could be with his injuries he has to sit deeper as he hasn't got the mobility anymore. Seems to be doing well in that position.

Personally I'd get shot of Westwood in the summer for a couple of million and just use Gardner instead if he is doing well in that position in the championship.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was in Nottingham today and got the local paper. They had a report on Forest at Burnley and Gardner got 8/10.

What interested me was the little comment about his performance mentioned him playing just infront of the back 4.

In his few performances for us he always played AM of the two central midfielders, indeed all his youth./reserve team games indicate this was his position.

Could be with his injuries he has to sit deeper as he hasn't got the mobility anymore. Seems to be doing well in that position.

Personally I'd get shot of Westwood in the summer for a couple of million and just use Gardner instead if he is doing well in that position in the championship.

That's where he played last season and a lot of Forest fans said he was brilliant and it allowed others to shine. I'll be so furious if he's not given a good chance next season. 

• Like 2

I think he needs to be in our central midfield next year. If not a permanent starter, then at least a regular.

I imagine us picking up one or two 'experienced' Championship or ageing Premier League players, to replace a couple of the likely outgoing players, but in Gardner we have a ready-made, young-ish player with Championship experience and also potential to improve.

In an odd, and slightly perverse way, I'm looking forward to seeing how our team shapes up next season in the Championship. With a few enforced sales and a few planned sales, we could be looking at a very different team.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think he's played all through the middle in his career. I just hope he gets some luck in a Villa shirt. I wouldn't get rid of Westwood though as its a slog I the Championship and we will need a big squad and then it'll be supplemented with our youth. In a strange way it may be a good thing for us. We have a young squad if we can keep all the ones we want to we may actually be able to introduce the even younger ones into a successful side which is beneficial for them. Gardner and  Grealish could turn out to be the stars we want them to be after a year flourishing in the Championship in a team full of confidence. 

• Like 1

Â