Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Guzan is a good keeper but sitting on the bench really isn't helping him. He has his flaws but he also has some really good attributes. He is an excellent shot stopper, but he is bad at crosses. He needs to be consistently playing to improve his game. I hope we can either loan him or play him in our cup matches again because I would like to see him given a shot at goal.

• 4 months later...

From what we've seen of Guzan he seems a good shot stopper and much like Given. Both keepers do not come for crosses so if Guzan can try to avoid it then the defenders will know the situation.

I hope he does well, good luck to him!

So how does everyone feel about our American custodian?

I believe the common consensus was that he was a highly promising keeper, ready to be our long-term number 1 for when Friedel retired/left. His performance in Prague in particular, was exemplary. However his stock came crashing down after that semi-final against Blackburn when his aerial ability nearly cost us a place at Wembley. Since then, he has hardly played, been out on loan and generally seen as nothing more than a reserve keeper.

Baring in mind he will be 27 in a couple of months, are his days numbered here? Or does anyone actually believe that he could be our first choice keeper with more development? Its sad because that Carling Cup run made him then broke him.

Ask again in about six games time.

Personally I think he will be fine, not as good as Given but good enough.

Guzan is a brilliant shot stopper. Definitely a great keeper in that aspect but he has his trouble with crosses. Given has similar issues to Guzan and yet he is starting. Every keeper has their weakness. I think Guzan is quality and will prove it. I always wanted to see him have a run of games for us before we decided and here is his chance. I think Guzan will pleasantly surprise a lot of the fans.

Don't think he is good enough. Not sure about the shot stopping, seems to make pretty good saves but has also let a couple of soft ones in as well (Blackburn in the carling cup at home springs to mind).

Crossing is his main weakness. Given doesn't seem to come for crosses as much as some keepers would but at least the defenders know where they stand. From what I have seen of Guzan, he seems to be very unsure of which to come for which is where the problem arises.

Â