Gym Routine

olboydave

i didnt know I was going to do 1000 reps until I was in the gym, it actually didn't occur to me until half way through the workout, but yeah I probably won't be doing it any time soon, but can't fault the gains i'm feeling.  I know soreness is not the definition of effective workout but damn my chest looks huge and feels well sore!!

I've never worked my chest like i have yesterday.

JB, you stick a plate under the heel of a stocking foot?  Ouch?

On that note.  I've seen people squatting well over 100kg standing on a plate in the spongiest runners (Air Max and the like), giving them absolutley no solid base at all.  Asking for a lower back muscle tweak.

16 minutes ago, JB said:

Oh it definitely would. With all the will in the world, form will inevitably go to shit at some point. Anterior shoulders will take a serious beating! Brings to mind crossfit-induced bouts of rhabdo!

Won't lie form was definitely questionable lol

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

JB, you stick a plate under the heel of a stocking foot?  Ouch?

On that note.  I've seen people squatting well over 100kg standing on a plate in the spongiest runners (Air Max and the like), giving them absolutley no solid base at all.  Asking for a lower back muscle tweak.

What do you mean by stocking foot, sorry? I just put my heels on 10kg plates to elevate them. Can use anything. Not everyone needs to but I find it helps me go a bit deeper. 

You said you train barefoot and you stick a plate under the heel.  Assuming you lift fairly decent weights, does that not hurt the foot at the point where the plate begins/ends under the foot?

Not that I've noticed! I guess I do have a fairly large foot arch, though. And only the ball of my heel is in contact with the plate. I don't use brutal bare steel plates either! Managed a 140kg front squat without any discomfort using this method. 

Edited by JB

13 minutes ago, JB said:

Not that I've noticed! I guess I do have a fairly large foot arch, though. And only the ball of my heel is in contact with the plate. I don't use brutal bare steel plates either! Managed a 140kg front squat without any discomfort using this method. 

I'll have to try this next leg day.

Have you ever elevated the heel for back squats? I have had issues with my wrists in the past and cannot do front squats.

I don't think I've done back squats in about 3 years but I can't see why the same principle wouldn't apply. Experiment with different levels of elevation to see what works for you. 

Oh and if you really want to front squat, try using straps. Just attach them around the bar the same way that you would attach them to your wrist, pull them tight and hold the loose part instead of the bar. That's what I progressed from as I didn't have the wrist mobility at first, either :)

On 03/02/2016 at 16:22, JB said:

I don't think I've done back squats in about 3 years but I can't see why the same principle wouldn't apply. Experiment with different levels of elevation to see what works for you. 

Oh and if you really want to front squat, try using straps. Just attach them around the bar the same way that you would attach them to your wrist, pull them tight and hold the loose part instead of the bar. That's what I progressed from as I didn't have the wrist mobility at first, either :)

I tried standing on the weight plate but could not get comfortable.

First work out with liquid chalk, what a difference it made, managed to deadlift 172.5kg, grip felt so much stronger with this stuff. I though I was hitting a brick wall with this lift but the chalk might give me some more millage, I've also been eating a lot more food so that could also account for fast growth in strength.

• Like 1

Gone off the booze for Lent, so thought coupled with a new round of supplements and my old tried and trusted weight loss diet to see if i can drop some lbs. Looking for 10lbs in 40 days, which im hoping will be doable.

On an unrelated note, SMASHED biceps today!!

• 2 weeks later...

Starting at the gym Monday, First aim is to lose some (alot) fat and strengthen my core. 

Due to work and having an off peak membership I can only manage 3 nights a week right now.  

I'm not sure whether I'd be better off doing Push, Pull, Legs or a full body workout sandwiched between cardio days. I'm leaning towards Push, Pull, Legs but it doesn't seem to be enough to drive the fat loss, can I add any cardio in or would they clash?

My advice would be not to overthink it. I would lean towards recommending full body workouts, as long as you can get a day's rest in between. There's no reason why you couldn't add cardio in at any point (as long as it's not pre-workout). I'd suggest tracking calories/macros and eating at least a gram of protein per lb of target bodyweight.

Oh and ignore anything ****wits like the Body Coach say! 

• Like 2

Who?

Macros? I don't actively track calories but since October I've been trying to lose weight by cutting down on the rubbish and probably hit a deficit 4 or 5 days a week. 

I should have said the 3 nights will be in a row (hence the leaning to PPL) 

For pre workout is 10 minutes on the rowing machine enough or should I doing something specific depending on what groups I'll be training?

I don't know how much I weigh, but since October I've dropped from a 48in waist to 42/44 and I'm starting to see slower progress.

Do I need anything apart from flat trainers, water and a towel for my actual workout?

It's a good thing that you don't know who that is! :) Don't waste your time trying to find out!

Macros are protein, carbs and fat. As long you get at least 1g protein per pound of target bodyweight, the ratio doesn't really matter too much. Tracking calories is a ballache at first but you soon get used to it. It's the best way to ensure consistent, long term results IMO.

PPL sounds like decent shout for a split if you're doing 3 consecutive days, then.  

There's nothing set in stone warm-up-wise. Just do a little bit of something to get the blood pumping and literally, warm-up :). I like doing some dynamic stretching followed by an explosive movement, like medicine ball slams.

Sounds like you're good to go with the trainers, water and towel :)

Â