The Anime & Manga Thread

GarethRDR

Haven't you finished it yet? you're slacking.

Nearly finished Evangelion, Shinji is right irritating word removed. He has to pilot a giant robot and live with hot women and he **** complains, I nearly turned it off right then.

22 hours ago, V01 said:

Haven't you finished it yet? you're slacking.

Nearly finished Evangelion, Shinji is right irritating word removed. He has to pilot a giant robot and live with hot women and he **** complains, I nearly turned it off right then.

Hahaha, yeah he's very much a loser. Is this the series you're referring to? You pretty much have to watch the Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion movies for the proper ending. Plus there's the new movies (number 3 out at the end of the month which led my to bumping this thread, very excited!) although the final movie is delayed whilst Anno helps out with the Shin Godzilla movie, which will be....interesting 

Edited by hogso
I mustn't run away

17 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I watched One Punch man. Quite funny and was a very easy watch. I think I finished the whole thing in a week. 

Yeah I did it over last weekend as I didn't have much on. Very easy watching. Need something else now. Might start re-watching FMA since its been a while.

I've also been assured a mini series called Ping Pong is well worth watching. Cracking animation apparently. Anyone seen it?

9 hours ago, hogso said:

Hahaha, yeah he's very much a loser. Is this the series you're referring to? You pretty much have to watch the Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion movies for the proper ending. Plus there's the new movies (number 3 out at the end of the month which led my to bumping this thread, very excited!) although the final movie is delayed whilst Anno helps out with the Shin Godzilla movie, which will be....interesting 

Got half a dozen episodes left and then onto the movies, Is the separate 3 film series a similar kind of deal to the Berserk Golden Age trilogy?

No. Don't start with the new movies, you definitely need to see Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion first. 

The new movies are a complete 'reimagining' of Eva. The first movie is pretty much the same, the second makes you think 'huh?', the third apparently makes you go 'u wot m8', and I'm sure the fourth will be completely batshit insane. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I see the new series of Berserk has started. Gotta catch up with that. 

New Attack on Titan series appears to have been pushed back to April '17

Speaking of which, the game is out now over here, and looks completely mental to me. 

If you scroll up a few posts, Dem, your question is already answered ;)

I actually started watching Mob Psycho 100 yesterday which is from the same guy who created One Punch Man (a guy who calls himself One and he has a pretty interesting and unique story as to how he got into the manga industry, check it out).

I'm only two episodes in and you can definitely see the similarities in character, style and tone as OPM, but it's not quite hooked me yet. It's about ghosts and the psychics, or Espers, sent to dispatch them via exorcism (read: firing crazy, colourful psychic blasts out of their hands). One Esper in particular is a young high school kid, the titular Mob, who is incredibly powerful but rubbish when it comes to people and emotion. Throughout the series he comes face to face with different emotions and the trials of puberty and his psychosis grows, measured by a percentage bar at key points in the story, which affects his psychic power; a concern to himself and those around him in case he loses it and destroys everything.

As I said, only two episodes in (there's only eight at time of writing) but I'll stick with it and report back when I've watched more.

Edited by Ginko

• 3 months later...

I have started a rewatch of Elfen Lied. The last time I watched it must have been 10 years ago. The first time I saw it was via the weeklys as they were released after it aired in Japan. I think I then watched it again some time in 2005.

So I can remember most of it, but not all. Spotted it on Netflix, thought I'd have a watch of it.

Great example of how not to do an English dub. It is disgusting. The show is also a good example of the unfortunate side of anime - despite it having a really good story with enough mystery and intrigue to keep you watching til the end (only 12 episodes), it is tarnished by the gratuitous fanservice. And it is without doubt gratuitous. I can only presume that, like a TV show having more chance of being commisioned if it has a good looking lead character/s in the west, the same much be true of anime and how much boobs, etc there is.

There is worse out there - a lot worse! - and I know this has a payoff ina good way in terms of the story, so won't let it spoil my enjoyment too much.

The opening few minutes have got to be amongst the most iconic of any anime series. If that doesn't get you interested, what would?

Having also recently watched Stranger Things, it's interesting to note the similarites, especially between Eleven and Lucy/Nyu.

Edited by hogso

The Stranger Things producers mentioned Elfen Lied as one of the inspirations in an interview. 

I watched it many years ago so the gratuitous fan service was more of a positive,  the cousin thing was more of an issue for me. 

'Akira' was in the cinemas again for its 25th anniversary in September.

It was a right ballache to find the first time around. We had to go to the university cinema and the Triangle as it wasn't on general release.

20 hours ago, V01 said:

I watched it many years ago so the gratuitous fan service was more of a positive,  the cousin thing was more of an issue for me. 

Yeah that was gross man :crylaugh:

I understand that consanguineous marriages aren't as taboo in Japan (as recently as 2011, the then PM was married to his first cousin for example), but even so. From the perspective of the show, just make them old friends or something, the fact they're cousins barely has an affect on anything, and just makes it all the more gross. Maybe that was the point? :lol:

Â