The Anime & Manga Thread

GarethRDR

9 hours ago, hogso said:

It's set in a faux medieval European setting, for the most part pretty straight. Castles, battles with swords and armies, horses, cannons and the like. The story follows a band of mercenaries, The Band of the Hawk, their charismatic leader Griffith, and their captain, Gutz, as they make their way from mercs to nobles through winning countless important victories, politics, and a bit of skullduggery. 

Things are not quite as they seem, though, as the anime is the first arc of the manga, which is actually just Gutz's back story. There are fantasy elements in the story too, but they're not really very important until the end, when all hell breaks loose - literally. 

As mentioned though, it's aged. Might be worth just watching the movies from the last few years instead of the series from the 90s. It's a rare example, especially given the era it's from, of a really really good English dub, too. Like, really good. I wouldn't want to watch it subbed, ever. 

Sound sinteretsing might get this bad boy. How many movies are there?

There are 3, they're all about 90 mins. They just shrink down the original series and cover the major plot points. As was linked to on the previous page, it appears that the rest of the manga is now going to be animated as a series this year, so presumably the movies will act as the intro to that, as that whole arc is basically a flashback.

If memory serves, it deviates a little bit from the original anime, but not a lot. There's a scene at the start of a young Gutz making a name for himself which leads to his introduction to the Hawks which isn't in the anime. And I think the introduction of Puck, a fairy who accompanies Gutz after the events of the first story arc, is made a bit more significant.

4 hours ago, hogso said:

There are 3, they're all about 90 mins. They just shrink down the original series and cover the major plot points. As was linked to on the previous page, it appears that the rest of the manga is now going to be animated as a series this year, so presumably the movies will act as the intro to that, as that whole arc is basically a flashback.

If memory serves, it deviates a little bit from the original anime, but not a lot. There's a scene at the start of a young Gutz making a name for himself which leads to his introduction to the Hawks which isn't in the anime. And I think the introduction of Puck, a fairy who accompanies Gutz after the events of the first story arc, is made a bit more significant.

Ah so this is similar to DeathNote then they did a serious but then made short movies covering the whole plot and filtered out the un-needed rubbish. i will check this out later download it need some films for this 11hr flight to Thailand

Got myself a nice little collection ready to start watching at work:

Attack on Titan

Basilisk

Berserk movies

Code Glass S1+2

Gantz

Lain

Neon Genesis Evangelion

That should be the next 3 week's sorted,  if I can get Fullmetal Alchemist that will take it 4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V01 said:

Got myself a nice little collection ready to start watching at work:

Attack on Titan

Basilisk

Berserk movies

Code Glass S1+2

Gantz

Lain

Neon Genesis Evangelion

That should be the next 3 week's sorted,  if I can get Fullmetal Alchemist that will take it 4.

Where did you get beserk from? Cant seem to find it anywhere to download

I remember watching Berserk exactly this time last year (man, time flies) and for some reason stopped at the second last episode when things started going...berserk (couldn't help it okay). It was captivating in an understated way even if it seemed kind of dated. The soundtrack especially really got to me, I still remember that one sort of chanted one, really took the emotional scenes to new heights.

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I remember watching Berserk exactly this time last year (man, time flies) and for some reason stopped at the second last episode when things started going...berserk (couldn't help it okay). It was captivating in an understated way even if it seemed kind of dated. The soundtrack especially really got to me, I still remember that one sort of chanted one, really took the emotional scenes to new heights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Yep, that's the one. ***** me, especially that middle part

Yeah I like that part too;

Yeaaaaaaa-uaawwwAaaAuhhh-waaaaauuhhhaaaaaaaa~

• Like 1

Watched the Berserk movies, the nostalgia held up pretty well.

Started Gantz, have no idea what the guy means about single women with dogs and butter...

In a word, yes. It gets...pretty silly, though. But then, the whole concept is a bit silly (onion aliens, baseball robot thing, uh the dog, etc), so as long as you enjoyed the first arc from the anime, the rest should be pretty enjoyable. 

On 14/04/2015 at 03:49, Czechlad said:

Death Parade: When you die, you are sent to a purgatory type place where you play a game for your soul. Then based on your actions during the game, the arbiter decides if you go to heaven or hell. The arbiter tries to get the people to show their true selves during the games to see if they are good or bad deep down. 9/10

Thanks for this recommendation.  Watched the first 3 last night, enjoying it a lot and an interesting concept.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, V01 said:

Enjoyed it all until the last few episodes, really pissed me off with what happened to Sei and Mika. :angry:

Ugh tell me about it, what a gut punch huh. If you have the time and means though, give the manga a crack - after all, the Gantz can revive fallen hunters.... 

Â