Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

Most of them would have been taught to talk that way at public school. Received Pronounciation is considered the proper way to speak, amongst the elite. As such, it's very unusual to find someone talking with a regional accent, if they're from a privilaged background

Yeah, I was wondering why I've never seen anyone with a more regional accent. Like, will Britain ever have a Scouse PM? I've noticed that some accents (or the people who speak them) are kind of portrayed in the media as less refined or dumber. Like the dumb character in a movie will almost invariably have a Cockney accent. Accent elitism, very weird.

Also what if someone is not part of the elite but still speaks in RP (didn't even know it had a proper name)? I'd imagine it would sound incredibly pretensious.

30 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah, I was wondering why I've never seen anyone with a more regional accent. Like, will Britain ever have a Scouse PM? I've noticed that some accents (or the people who speak them) are kind of portrayed in the media as less refined or dumber. Like the dumb character in a movie will almost invariably have a Cockney accent. Accent elitism, very weird.

Also what if someone is not part of the elite but still speaks in RP (didn't even know it had a proper name)? I'd imagine it would sound incredibly pretensious.

It's possible, we'll have someone with a regional accent as PM, possibly even in the next few year. They're not likely to be Tory though.

Regional accents are much more common place these days, although it is noticable that some people have tried to adopt a more RP way of speaking. Although this could be down to being easier to understand. For isntance, people who work in the media, with very strong regional accents have been known to tone them down a little, so as to get more work, especially if they go to work in America. 

It works the other way too. You find posher people adopting regional accents, so as to appear 'cooler', or more accepted by the masses.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I've not heard it but based on various other attempts I've heard Brummie must the hardest accent to imitate. Everyone gets it wrong or completely over exaggerates it.

"Anything for yow, cupcake."

• Like 1

How about that Polly on Peaky Blinders?  An otherwise very good actress.  Accent appalling.

You can tell who the actual Brummies are in that programme, and none of them have the big roles.  The only non Brummie that gets really close is the guy who plays Arthur.  Cillian's is passable.

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

How about that Polly on Peaky Blinders?  An otherwise very good actress.  Accent appalling.

You can tell who the actual Brummies are in that programme, and none of them have the big roles.  The only non Brummie that gets really close is the guy who plays Arthur.  Cillian's is passable.

I think Cillian's is a decent effort in that.

In fact I think most of the accents in that are ok.

Polly's isn't good though :D

Muphy's accent got better, but I did find it a bit dodgy at first. I seem to recall he hung around in a few pubs in Digbeth, to get the hang of it.

I was reading that Sam Neil got a lot of stick for his Northern Irish accent. Apparently he got lessons from James Nesbitt and Liam Neeson, but then had to tone it down, so Americans could understand it.

Granted I'm not Northern Irish, but I thought Nail's accent was great.

I actually googled him after to find out if he had roots there (which he does) which might explain why it was so good. It's certainly better than Grace's effort at a Galway accent (especially when she's singing!)

4 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

As such, it's very unusual to find someone talking with a regional accent, if they're from a privilaged background

You've never met/heard people who went to Bromsgrove school or King Eds or Manchester Grammar (just as a few examples) then? :)

Edited by snowychap

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Why don't they just predominantly hire actors with the correct accents?  Not just for Peaky Blinders but in general.

I imagine it's harder to find a good actor than it is to find a good accent.

Cillian Murphy is a better actor than Joe Bloggs from Small Heath.

Having a slightly less than authentic accent won't stop people watching.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, snowychap said:

You've never met/heard anyone who went to Bromsgrove school or King Eds or Manchester Grammar (just as a few examples) then? :)

Yeah, obviously there are exceptions to the rule. My old man went to Grammar School, and he talks like a Brummie oik.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine it's harder to find a good actor than it is to find a good accent.

Cillian Murphy is a better actor than Joe Bloggs from Small Heath.

Having a slightly less than authentic accent won't stop people watching.

Yeah I get people like Cillian (and Neill) being cast, he's a big name and a big draw and to be fair to him he plays the role well.

However surely more of the supporting roles could have been given to Brummies.  Shane Meadows managed to find a pretty good collection of people with genuine east midlands accents.  As well as that you have the Irish bird from Oxford.  Why not just hire an Irish actress?

I wonder if Paddy Considine will be required to do a Brummie accent?  He's from close enough (Burton) to possible get a good grasp on it.

6 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

7 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Most of them would have been taught to talk that way at public school. Received Pronounciation is considered the proper way to speak, amongst the elite. As such, it's very unusual to find someone talking with a regional accent, if they're from a privilaged background

Pronunciation. :)

• Like 1

Â