The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Even under O'Neill I'd argue our movement wasn't great, we just had players who could compensate for that.

The movement wasnt too bad compared to now, you are right though, when you have people in the middle and out wide with the calibre of Young,Milner,Downng,Barry and Petrov life is much easier. God I miss that midfield  [emoji20]

Barry and Downing never played together, and Milner and Good Downing played together for 1 game (the Downing of the 1/2 season after he came back from the broken foot was not worth reminiscing about). People get nostalgic about a Villa midfield that never existed. If we'd had them all at once we'd have cracked the top 4.

• Like 1

Even under O'Neill I'd argue our movement wasn't great, we just had players who could compensate for that.

The movement wasnt too bad compared to now, you are right though, when you have people in the middle and out wide with the calibre of Young,Milner,Downng,Barry and Petrov life is much easier. God I miss that midfield  [emoji20]

Barry and Downing never played together, and Milner and Good Downing played together for 1 game (the Downing of the 1/2 season after he came back from the broken foot was not worth reminiscing about). People get nostalgic about a Villa midfield that never existed. If we'd had them all at once we'd have cracked the top 4.

I doubt we would have. O'Neill would have played Milner at right-back, and we would have missed his drive and energy from the centre of midfield.

Jack's fine. He needs other intelligent players around him to 1) Make better use of him and 2) Draw attention from defenders who might otherwise be helping out with the marking of Jack. 

Play Jack, Gil, Traore as the three behind the striker and you will have a lot of one v one situations and that will lead to us creating lots more scoring opportunities. 

• Like 1

We certainly need to get Traore fit...his pace on one side would take away a defender or two and give Jack more space to work with.

Ultimatedly there's not enough quality in the final third...look back to last season and see the amount of goals Jack, Wealth and Benteke were involved in. Now he's trying to play 1-2s with Rudy and Sinclair....

Too much expectation heaped on a kid who's not played 20 prem games left...not helped by him declaring for England now.

There's not enough quality in the final third as Tim is leaving out our best player(s). The striker position is going to be an issue all season though, unless we get Austin in January.

Edited by Tom13

There's not enough quality in the final third as Tim is leaving out our best player(s). The striker position is going to be an issue all season though, unless we get Austin in January.

Catch 22 though, we'd need to be out of trouble to attract the man we want to get us out of trouble.

Jack's fine. He needs other intelligent players around him to 1) Make better use of him and 2) Draw attention from defenders who might otherwise be helping out with the marking of Jack. 

Play Jack, Gil, Traore as the three behind the striker and you will have a lot of one v one situations and that will lead to us creating lots more scoring opportunities. 

Much as I'd like to see it happen   , we played that formation v Notts County and but for a dodgy penalty we may have gone out  ..

In the Prem I think it leaves too much for the defensive side of midfield to do and we could get over run

Much as I'd like to see it happen   , we played that formation v Notts County and but for a dodgy penalty we may have gone out  ..

In the Prem I think it leaves too much for the defensive side of midfield to do and we could get over run

With Sanchez and Baker in central defence too no? Who played the holding role that day, wasn't it Veretout and Westwood? 

With Sanchez and Baker in central defence too no? Who played the holding role that day, wasn't it Veretout and Westwood? 

Veretout on his own, with Adama, Gil, Grealish, Sinclair, and Ayew in front... Madness looking back on it.

Veretout on his own, with Adama, Gil, Grealish, Sinclair, and Ayew in front... Madness looking back on it.

So nothing like what has been suggested then.

I'd love to see Adama, Gil, Grealish with Sanchez/Westwood and Gana behind. It seems like a no brainer to me.

• Like 2

Off the ball our team are absolutely abysmal.

On the ball our team are absolutely abysmal.

You get very rare occasions where off the ball there is a good run, Cleverley's goal last season when Bacuna did that nice pass.

Gabby's goal years ago which involved Barry, Bouma, Young.

Juan Pablo Angels goal years ago where Stefan/Luke Moore did a great reverse pass through the line of defence to score.

I honestly don't know why we're so terrible off the ball and have been for absolutely ages.

I understand that it's impossible to keep it going all the time and sometimes you just come up against a good, well organised defence, but the amount of times we've got the ball in the middle 3rd of their half and all of the players without the ball are standing with their backs to goal, looking at the player with the ball is **** annoying.

The worrying thing is, how it has been allowed to go unabated for so long under successive managers.

I'd love to see Adama, Gil, Grealish with Sanchez/Westwood and Gana behind. It seems like a no brainer to me.

well actually is was exactly like was suggested because the OP said he would like to see us  play Jack, Gil, Traore as the three behind the striker which is what we did ..nobody mentioned who the other players had to be or where they played for that matter  ;)

Edited by tonyh29

Catch 22 though, we'd need to be out of trouble to attract the man we want to get us out of trouble.

Bent came when we were in the bottom 3 and Sunderland were well ahead of us in the league, different times I suppose, top 6 was still very fresh back in the memory then and we still had quality players.

This could've all been avoided by signing someone in the summer of course.

well actually is was exactly like was suggested because the OP said he would like to see us  play Jack, Gil, Traore as the three behind the striker which is what we did ..nobody mentioned who the other players had to be or where they played for that matter  ;)

In which case how is it relevant that we were shaky against Notts County? I don't think the OP was suggesting we play that formation. A formation involves 11 men. 

Â